2020 Football Season (Emergency Coronavirus Plan): Hypothetical

BoardHater71

Sorry Hardtackle, didn't mean to offend you or anyone for that matter.  Just saying that the elderly and people with some disabilities are at a much higher risk from Covid19.  They should not be attending large events.  It is my opinion that football players are some of the healthiest people in our communities and are at a very low risk of developing severe symptoms from Covid19.  Their season should not be taken away from them.  

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:26 AM, sheppy said:

The way it should be whether Covid 19 or not.  Georgia starts the same time we do and they have TWO (2) open dates and they finish their season 1 week after we do.  Texas finishes their season the week end prior to Christmas.  How will this hurt basketball?  Don't use the statement that football players also play basketball.  Guess Georgia and Texas don't have football players playing basketball!

Agreed!  Labor Day weekend should be season opening weekend.  The dates of the state championships should be the weekend that school systems go on Christmas Break.  

On 4/20/2020 at 5:53 PM, Vol9093 said:

Sorry Hardtackle, didn't mean to offend you or anyone for that matter.  Just saying that the elderly and people with some disabilities are at a much higher risk from Covid19.  They should not be attending large events.  It is my opinion that football players are some of the healthiest people in our communities and are at a very low risk of developing severe symptoms from Covid19.  Their season should not be taken away from them.  

They did cancel track, soccer, baseball for all the seniors this year. It’s about the healthy people spreading it to the elderly. My opinion is if it starts to spread during flu season they will not be football, girl soccer or any organize sports that attract big crowds or any crowds. 

1 hour ago, Djohnson said:

They did cancel track, soccer, baseball for all the seniors this year. It’s about the healthy people spreading it to the elderly. My opinion is if it starts to spread during flu season they will not be football, girl soccer or any organize sports that attract big crowds or any crowds. 

I don't want to see fall sports cancelled, but if things don't go well they could be. Keeping school open is the key to sports. No school, no sports

On 4/17/2020 at 12:40 PM, ecu said:

They are saying a vaccine will take 12-18 months. We will die as a country if we do that.

The recent mayor's plan in Nashville looks like no sports activities will be taking place for quite sometime and that is if everything is going well . 4 phases and 2 weeks between each phase with phase one not beginning until sometime in May. No mention of school starting date. Until plans to open schools , no kids will be allowed to meet with coaches. Fitness centers in Nashville are not scheduled to open possibly until sometime in June.

Edited by longtimeretired

When ever your system had graduation date and end of school, you should be good to go.  I would like to think TSSAA would look into some days in June for full pad workouts, i.e., M-W-F's for 2-3 weeks, prior to dead period that would take the place of spring practice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheppy said:

When ever your system had graduation date and end of school, you should be good to go.  I would like to think TSSAA would look into some days in June for full pad workouts, i.e., M-W-F's for 2-3 weeks, prior to dead period that would take the place of spring practice.

Disagree.  Most of these kids haven't been doing any type of structured workouts since school has been out.  At most, may schools will get four weeks of conditioning / lifting before dead period begins.   I think bringing these kids in and having them go full pads for 2-3 weeks would be recipe for injuries galore.  My recommendation would be to use that time wisely and get the kids back in shape so that they can hit the ground running after dead period.  

Besides.....there are several teams that don't have spring ball and are quite successful.  

Edited by catsfever