Spring soccer update

BigG

I have been asked to update information as we hear (from the TSSAA and other outlets).

When I have more time tomorrow (Thursday), I will give the latest information that we have.  

Feel free to post questions and I will try to answer the best that I can.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, BigG said:

I have been asked to update information as we hear (from the TSSAA and other outlets).

When I have more time tomorrow (Thursday), I will give the latest information that we have.  

Feel free to post questions and I will try to answer the best that I can.

It's over. Don't believe schools will go back this year.

While the chances of school coming back are low, the TSSAA has at least kept the "window" open for the opportunity.

They stated this week that the spring tournament would be pushed back 3 weeks.  The proposed starting date would be April 24 with the state tournament being June 8 - June 12.

The TSSAA is leaving it to the districts and regions to have their own method for getting teams out of "regular season" and into "post season".  All of this would depend on time allowed once we get back.

"On Wednesday, governors in Alabama and Georgia announced that, due to concerns regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, school systems would remain closed for the remainder of the semester, thus ending all spring sports for those states' main athletic associations"

The count is up to 11 states that have cancelled sports.  Indiana closed yesterday.

"However, with concerns continuing to grow, spring sports seem less likely to be played and Childress added that now the TSSAA is even discussing an abbreviated football season, as well as other fall sports, should the spread of coronavirus remain a concern into the summer."

Hope dims for prep sports in Tennessee to be played this spring due to coronavirus pandemic

On 4/3/2020 at 9:44 AM, BigG said:

"On Wednesday, governors in Alabama and Georgia announced that, due to concerns regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, school systems would remain closed for the remainder of the semester, thus ending all spring sports for those states' main athletic associations"

The count is up to 11 states that have cancelled sports.  Indiana closed yesterday.

"However, with concerns continuing to grow, spring sports seem less likely to be played and Childress added that now the TSSAA is even discussing an abbreviated football season, as well as other fall sports, should the spread of coronavirus remain a concern into the summer."

Hope dims for prep sports in Tennessee to be played this spring due to coronavirus pandemic

I have a nephew who is an assistant soccer coach in East Tennessee. He said they and their other spring sports were told to begin cancelling the rest of their season games by the county. I’m sure this is a sign of more to come. I hate it my granddaughter was going to be playing this year was gonna enjoy going to some.

1 hour ago, Observation said:

I have a nephew who is an assistant soccer coach in East Tennessee. He said they and their other spring sports were told to begin cancelling the rest of their season games by the county. I’m sure this is a sign of more to come. I hate it my granddaughter was going to be playing this year was gonna enjoy going to some.

So sorry to hear that.  I know some counties have already called school for the year.  I have not officially heard of any school "cancelling" their season, but I am sure there will be more and more that do.

I know that club soccer has cancelled the region and national tournaments for this summer.  Tennessee has yet to state what they are doing for the state cup, though.

Update from the News Sentinel.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/education/2020/04/09/tennessee-board-of-education-covid-19-high-school-requirements-graduation/2960639001/

From what I understand grades are now "frozen" and attendance "can be counted while schools are closed because of online learning, but recording unexcused absences or reporting students for truancy is not allowed."

I'm sure you all can read between the lines here.

8 hours ago, BigG said:

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/education/2020/04/09/tennessee-board-of-education-covid-19-high-school-requirements-graduation/2960639001/

From what I understand grades are now "frozen" and attendance "can be counted while schools are closed because of online learning, but recording unexcused absences or reporting students for truancy is not allowed."

I said the same thing to my wife last night.  Hate it for the kids.

19 hours ago, BigG said:

That is what I thought too. Just waiting for Lee to announce .

1 hour ago, ecu said:

That is what I thought too. Just waiting for Lee to announce .

Talked to a good friend in the TN House of Representatives.  I don't think we will have an official announcement of anything until the Governors next press conference on April 20th.