John Wilkins Named Girls coach at McKenzie...will remain Boys coach as well

VOLnWTN

28 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

I am not sure either. This hire confused me. The boys will drop off this year but the girls should be better. I wonder if he wanted the job or if the administration pushed him to take it. Just hope he gives equal attention to both teams. Also he has never coached a girls team before so this year will be interesting.

Give the boys ti Larry Joe. He's the man

12 hours ago, rebelman101 said:

I am not sure either. This hire confused me. The boys will drop off this year but the girls should be better. I wonder if he wanted the job or if the administration pushed him to take it. Just hope he gives equal attention to both teams. Also he has never coached a girls team before so this year will be interesting.

I highly doubt the administration pushed him to take it.  There could be 50 different reasons why they went this route.  He has never coached a girls team before but he has one of the best mentors in the state in his Dad on how to handle the girls.  It has been my experience in coaching that if girls trust you, they are easier to coach than boys.  Still the biggest issue will be killing the drama and handling hurt feelings when he plays the players who give him the best chance to win.  I think the boys teams over the years, although loaded, that 6, 7, and 8th player understood their role and it was a big advantage.  We shall see how it shakes out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I would figured McKenzie received some applicants, but arguably none of them probably match their thinking. Just hope that Wilkins didn't push the administration buttons on getting the job (which I don't believe he would do that). McKenzie's issue is on the gridiron, not the court.

Don't get me started on Comer lol... 

13 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

I highly doubt the administration pushed him to take it.  There could be 50 different reasons why they went this route.  He has never coached a girls team before but he has one of the best mentors in the state in his Dad on how to handle the girls.  It has been my experience in coaching that if girls trust you, they are easier to coach than boys.  Still the biggest issue will be killing the drama and handling hurt feelings when he plays the players who give him the best chance to win.  I think the boys teams over the years, although loaded, that 6, 7, and 8th player understood their role and it was a big advantage.  We shall see how it shakes out.

I like your point. I feel like he will have them in tip top shape when the season starts. He works on a lot of fundamentals with the boys in practice so this will translate to the girls too. I think he will handle all the drama and the egos too.

12 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I would figured McKenzie received some applicants, but arguably none of them probably match their thinking. Just hope that Wilkins didn't push the administration buttons on getting the job (which I don't believe he would do that). McKenzie's issue is on the gridiron, not the court.

Anna Trull applied, this marks the second time that the administration has said no to her. Heard quite a few people  put an application in.

1 hour ago, VOLnWTN said:

I do think that discipline will be there in every facet. Coach Wilkins does a really good job of disciplining his players to play like he wants them to play (the right way). He makes them run a ton and disciplines them when they make mistakes. I do think he communicates well with girls after practice and is there for them and let’s them know he punishes them in practice for a reason and they respect him and play extremely hard for him from opening tip to buzzer without getting rattled. He has been at GC 8 years or so and his feeder system is starting to pay big dividends as well. I do think McKenzie will be much better as was Huntingdon this year. Huntingdon beat a really good Summertown team in there neck of the woods. Do think there will always be a little drama but they need to keep it off the court.

Edited by pioneer42

4 hours ago, rebelman101 said:

Anna Trull applied, this marks the second time that the administration has said no to her. Heard quite a few people  put an application in.

Somebody must be holding her ex-husbands past against her. She is beyond qualified and experienced and she is the best girls player to come out of there??? Wilkins will be ok though. With the added benefit of this district falling way off the growing pains won’t be so bad for him hopefully. Mckenzie and WC should be best two in this district.

The hire is good for the girls, he’s a good coach. Just about every program I’ve seen with the same boys and girls coach unless it’s Middleton has had a split... one was better than the other, but he’s already established the boys as a winner so I don’t see why he can’t with the girls.