Class 1A Region 3 Preseason Predictions

TheCommander

On 4/21/2020 at 12:48 PM, TheCommander said:

I am tired of all this coronavirus talk so let’s talk some football. What is y’all’s takes on how this district will stack up? My early season predictions are....

1. South Pittsburg

2. Copper Basin 

I am going out on a limb for the 3 spot and going with Sale Creek!

4. Whitwell 

5. Lookout Valley

Agree with the top two picks.   Whitwell may take 3rd.

On 4/26/2020 at 5:07 PM, FridayMainEvent said:

Agree with the top two picks.   Whitwell may take 3rd.

I doubt it unless Sale Creek takes 2nd and Copper Pan an the Red Tyggers battle it out for 3rd.  The lack of spring practice and no head coach in place is not Whiwuhl's friend.

Edited by rlh

On 4/21/2020 at 12:48 PM, TheCommander said:

I am tired of all this coronavirus talk so let’s talk some football. What is y’all’s takes on how this district will stack up? My early season predictions are....

1. South Pittsburg

2. Copper Basin 

I am going out on a limb for the 3 spot and going with Sale Creek!

4. Whitwell 

5. Lookout Valley

Same picks here.

1. South Pittsburg is my obvious choice for the top spot.

2. Copper Basin in the 2nd year with both Grabowskis will be too much for the other teams in the region.

3. I like Sale Creek here as well, but I don't think it is going out on a limb. Right now I think they will beat both LV and Whitwell.

4. I can't decide between these two. Whitwell with be with a new coach and no spring practice. Lookout Valley will at least have a returning coach. 

If Whitwell can get the boys to come out and play, then I think they come in 3rd. If they have 25 players or less, I think it goes to Valley.

I've got:

1.  South Pittsburg 

2. Copper Basin 

3. Sale Creek 

4. A battle.  I'll give Whitwell the edge.  By a frogs hair. 

Something to consider:  Even though this is the last year of the 4 year cycle, and without knowing what's on the horizon concerning this COVID19 pandemic, we could see the top 2 from each region only making the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Southtowner said:

I've got:

1.  South Pittsburg 

2. Copper Basin 

3. Sale Creek 

4. A battle.  I'll give Whitwell the edge.  By a frogs hair. 

Something to consider:  Even though this is the last year of the 4 year cycle, and without knowing what's on the horizon concerning this COVID19 pandemic, we could see the top 2 from each region only making the playoffs. 

I wished they would do that anyways. When's the last time a 3 or 4 seed made it anywhere? 

14 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

Summit was a #3 seed last year and went all the way to the finals in 5A...got destroyed by Knox Central in Cookeville.

That's a once in 5 or 10  year story and doesn't warrant teams with losing or marginal records automatically making the playoffs.

1 hour ago, rlh said:

That's a once in 5 or 10  year story and doesn't warrant teams with losing or marginal records automatically making the playoffs.

I agree. The key is getting rid of these small 4 or 5 team regions! As long as they take 4 from each region to the playoffs, we’ll always have bad losing record teams get into the playoffs in these extremely small regions. The ultimate logical correction to this is to go back to 5 total classifications or maybe even 4. This would put more teams in all regions and geographically fix the losing record issues.