TSSAA/COVID-19

ecu

After reading TSSAA response , it seems like what you can do after school is out is whatever your county decides. So if Rutherford says all schools can go to camp, but Coffee says they can't how fair is this? TSSAA needs to step up and give a plan for ALL schools in Tennessee. If I misinterpreted their response, correct me. Would like to hear other thoughts about summer plans.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:03 AM, ecu said:

After reading TSSAA response , it seems like what you can do after school is out is whatever your county decides. So if Rutherford says all schools can go to camp, but Coffee says they can't how fair is this? TSSAA needs to step up and give a plan for ALL schools in Tennessee. If I misinterpreted their response, correct me. Would like to hear other thoughts about summer plans.

No you are exactly correct. TSSAA essentially said it will be a local decision.  They seem to have deferred to local control.

I will go one step further with this example.   What happens if Shelby county schools can't meet the criteria fro reopening but neighboring Tipton county can reopen?  Will you see athletes transferring to counties that are trying to reopen?  What if a neighboring state reopens? Will students transfer to that state? What if a private school reopens and the surrounding public schools stay closed? Do public school school students start to transfer to those private schools?

Edited by URSUS

1 hour ago, URSUS said:

No you are exactly correct. TSSAA essentially said it will be a local decision.  They seem to have deferred to local control.

I will go one step further with this example.   What happens if Shelby county schools can't meet the criteria fro reopening but neighboring Tipton county can reopen?  Will you see athletes transferring to counties that are trying to reopen?  What if a neighboring state reopens? Will students transfer to that state? What if a private school reopens and the surrounding public schools stay closed? Do public school school students start to transfer to those private schools?

Transfer rules still apply. You might go to the private  school but you will not  be playing.

5 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Transfer rules still apply. You might go to the private  school but you will not  be playing.

Fair point.  I do wonder if you would potentially see some people actually move to a reopened school system so their child could play. Actually have a bona fide change of residence. And while I doubt that it would happen, could or would the TSSAA approve hardship transfers for athletes leaving schools systems that had no reopened?