How come..

On 5/16/2020 at 1:35 AM, Goldenpride said:

And gate killers

I'll just never understand. When we played East they seemed to have 10 people in the visitor stands. You'd figure at least all the parents would come out. Sorry but a $8 ticket and a little over an hour drive couldn't stop me from seeing my boy play or my girls cheer in the playoffs

On 5/17/2020 at 8:43 PM, WarEagleCartman said:

I'll just never understand. When we played East they seemed to have 10 people in the visitor stands. You'd figure at least all the parents would come out. Sorry but a $8 ticket and a little over an hour drive couldn't stop me from seeing my boy play or my girls cheer in the playoffs

That’s how it is. Every playoff game we have hosted against a Memphis team didn’t bring anyone except this year Fairley brought a good crowd over. I remember in basketball in 2005 the only time our boys went to state we played BTW and they filled the gym. Memphis is and always will be a basketball city

On 5/17/2020 at 8:43 PM, WarEagleCartman said:

29 minutes ago, Goldenpride said:

That’s how it is. Every playoff game we have hosted against a Memphis team didn’t bring anyone except this year Fairley brought a good crowd over. I remember in basketball in 2005 the only time our boys went to state we played BTW and they filled the gym. Memphis is and always will be a basketball city

Agreed, and it's unfortunate because the talent that Memphis has in football is honestly underrated. I drove by a football game in Memphis at the fairgrounds near the Liberty Bowl on a random Friday night, and like 100 people max (both home and visitor sides). Unfortunately, I don't know the two teams that were playing.

@WarEagleCartman, this is what you get when you have top four teams make the playoffs in each region. East was a better team (of course) in 2019, than they were in 2018. You also have to factor in that East is probably the #1 school in our state when it comes to enrollment drop. I mean, they have dropped as much as anyone in our state. And Memphis East isn't a small school, I would say they have a building that's like North Side's.

@Goldenpride agreed with you as well. Unless you're getting a 10-0 team that has a legitimate chance to make it to Cookeville, those Memphis teams would struggle to bring fans to playoff games. I've always wondered why Dyersburg will schedule a Memphis team for week 1 of the season (when there's better options out there)? Just probably get another easy win and let all the kids play.

Ironically, the University of Memphis is dealing with the same thing as well.

Tuesday night basketball game vs Morehead State: 16,000 fans will show up to FedEx Forum (80%).

American Athletic Championship game vs Cincinnati: 35,000 fans show up to the Liberty Bowl (60%).

The football in Memphis is getting a little disrespect from the citizens of Memphis. The high school talent isn't bad (especially in higher classifications) and the Tigers' football team is playing way better ball than the basketball team and is playing for something that is meaningful. Just odd and it's a head scratcher for sure.

Edited by TryNotToSuck

On 5/18/2020 at 9:34 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

Agreed, and it's unfortunate because the talent that Memphis has in football is honestly underrated. I drove by a football game in Memphis at the fairgrounds near the Liberty Bowl on a random Friday night, and like 100 people max (both home and visitor sides). Unfortunately, I don't know the two teams that were playing.

@WarEagleCartman, this is what you get when you have top four teams make the playoffs in each region. East was a better team (of course) in 2019, than they were in 2018. You also have to factor in that East is probably the #1 school in our state when it comes to enrollment drop. I mean, they have dropped as much as anyone in our state. And Memphis East isn't a small school, I would say they have a building that's like North Side's.

@Goldenpride agreed with you as well. Unless you're getting a 10-0 team that has a legitimate chance to make it to Cookeville, those Memphis teams would struggle to bring fans to playoff games. I've always wondered why Dyersburg will schedule a Memphis team for week 1 of the season (when there's better options out there)? Just probably get another easy win and let all the kids play.

Ironically, the University of Memphis is dealing with the same thing as well.

Tuesday night basketball game vs Morehead State: 16,000 fans will show up to FedEx Forum (80%).

American Athletic Championship game vs Cincinnati: 35,000 fans show up to the Liberty Bowl (60%).

The football in Memphis is getting a little disrespect from the citizens of Memphis. The high school talent isn't bad (especially in higher classifications) and the Tigers' football team is playing way better ball than the basketball team and is playing for something that is meaningful. Just odd and it's a head scratcher for sure.

Right. Whitehaven and some schools like Houston, Woodale, and Germantown some years are high competitive. I remember back in the day Melrose could hang 42 up against any team in the first qtr. 

Back in the 70, and 80’s before all the privates down there started building inner city Memphis football was superior than a lot of schools down here because they had the best of the best from that particular area down there. Now kids have the athletic scholarships to a HS and more teams are struggling to field a team.