Human Defecation about to hit the Rotary Oscillator

LTCB

Wilson County School Board met Saturday to discuss next year in regards to budget and the  income shortfall due to lower tax revenue.  One item proposed was the elimination of ALL coaching stipends for both High School and Middle School.  Anyone else seeing this discussion in their county?  

6 hours ago, LTCB said:

Wilson County School Board met Saturday to discuss next year in regards to budget and the  income shortfall due to lower tax revenue.  One item proposed was the elimination of ALL coaching stipends for both High School and Middle School.  Anyone else seeing this discussion in their county?  

These are hard times right now for school systems all across the state. The loss of tax revenue hurts greatly. But that isn’t the only loss. In the pre Covid-19 proposed school budget Bill Lee had included a 4% increase to school BEP funding. Since, he has taken that off the table and actually made a cut in his new budget to existing BEP funding. So schools are losing money on that front as well. In my school system all staff met with the superintendent last week. She informed us that her main priority was to keep everyone in a job and that was indeed going to happen. But she had to cut roughly 1 million from the budget for next year and we needed to get ready to tighten the belt. She was going to have some tough decisions to make. This will be occurring all across the state and many people will lose their jobs because of this. If your coaches stay employed but lose supplements they should consider themselves lucky. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

The same scenario here but I think we were told there was a 10 million dollar revenue shortage and few teachers, EA's and staff were going to be terminated.  This on top of losing 2 public schools due to a tornado has caused a significant shock to the system,

1 hour ago, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

I heard this news earlier today. I cannot believe any coach can afford to coach for free. They do not make enough for all the time they put in as it is. I expect lots of scrambling for any openings . 

Many school systems will cut teaching positions to make up for budget shortfalls. I would imagine most coaches would be happy to keep a job. No coach can afford to do without a job. 

The WC short fall has been coming for a year or so now. Overspending is a lot of it. Building indoor facilities and putting in a turf field was being pushed knowing of the shortcomings. With all the cuts being suggested and not a single cut in the central office. WC  just had a sales tax hike and a building fee added to all construction in the Co. Sounds like bad management in the Central office. But it is all the Covid 19s fault.

2 hours ago, HSfootballan said:

Giving up coaching is not the same as giving up teaching.

You are correct but I never said it was the same thing. But let’s just say a coach isn’t willing to coach without the supplement. If there is a candidate available that is willing and has the appropriate certification the writing is on the wall for the old coach in regards to his teaching position. 

Yes I saw it and hope it does not come to pass. I am an retired coach from Metro Nashville 25+ yrs ago and we had much waste then. It is horrendous now in Metro. They have a 1-1 ratio of teachers to non-classroom staff. Wilson Co does not have any type overstaffing like that mess. I have lived in Wilson for last 40+ years and thought the schools do a great job for the thin funding they get. Folks the property tax we pay in Wilson Co is the best bargain in the area. Solving this with a very modest prop tax hike is what needs to be done but I doubt it will happen. I have always wondered how they kept teachers / coaches in the system. May be time to bite the bullet and pay a little more. 

Edited by coach763

On 5/11/2020 at 10:47 AM, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

I heard this news earlier today. I cannot believe any coach can afford to coach for free. They do not make enough for all the time they put in as it is. I expect lots of scrambling for any openings . 

Two sides to that coin... you're exactly right about 99% of all coaches being underpaid according to their time, effort, and personal expenditures involved. Having said that, most coaches do not coach for the income at all, and barring extenuating circumstances I think that most would be willing to stay the course short term without compensation. BPM makes an excellent point about job security being tied to their coaching position, and that most coaches are granted a relaxed classroom schedule because of it. Ours generally have lunch duty, planning period, and last block of class scheduling dedicated to their sport, so for at least a portion of their "teaching" schedule, they're being paid to coach even without the included coaching stipend. Those who are in it for the "right" reasons (and can afford to), will continue for the benefit of their program and kids until this CV-19 nightmare is resolved.