Human Defecation about to hit the Rotary Oscillator

LTCB

10 hours ago, District12AA said:

They can decide on the calendar and when to allow sports to officially begin practice. Word on street is rural schools are already practicing and planning to hold basketball camps while urban schools are being told a laundry list of regulations just to get 10 students in the building to practice at a time.

Unfortunately this has become a political issue in this country and students will suffer because of it. It has went from flattening the curve to finding the cure.

2 hours ago, fb247 said:

You still don't get it. He is saying exactly what I was saying. TSSAA can not tell an individual school system when they can begin working out. They can set all the calendars they want but if a school system wants to delay starting that is their decision. Maybe now you understand. Individual school systems have the power not TSSAA. 

You're right, one of us isn't getting it. School systems have always had the absolute authority concerning their respective athletic programs. TSSAA however, has complete control of the calendar, eligibility, and other regulations concerning their member schools in order to compete in TSSAA sanctioned events... included (usually) in the TSSAA's control are practice restrictions and dates. My gripe with them is that in this instance, they are deferring responsibility to local authorities and allowing some member schools to practice, while other member schools can not.

If you believe that your local system "has the power" to decide when they practice and TSSAA does not, check with BPM... his Bulldawg team started a couple of days early last season and had to answer to TSSAA.

30 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

You're right, one of us isn't getting it. School systems have always had the absolute authority concerning their respective athletic programs. TSSAA however, has complete control of the calendar, eligibility, and other regulations concerning their member schools in order to compete in TSSAA sanctioned events... included (usually) in the TSSAA's control are practice restrictions and dates. My gripe with them is that in this instance, they are deferring responsibility to local authorities and allowing some member schools to practice, while other member schools can not.

If you believe that your local system "has the power" to decide when they practice and TSSAA does not, check with BPM... his Bulldawg team started a couple of days early last season and had to answer to TSSAA.

Yes,schools systems always follow the calendar as to begin and end and when practice is allowed. TSSAA does police and punish schools who do not follow calendar and rules. However every school system does not have to start practice just because TSSAA has a calendar. TSSAA allows spring football practice but that does mean a school system has to have spring football. Does not even mean every school within a system has to. I know what you are saying  and agree. Just like now the state is in phase one but some larger cities are on different phase and not on same time frame.

4 hours ago, fb247 said:

Yes,schools systems always follow the calendar as to begin and end and when practice is allowed. TSSAA does police and punish schools who do not follow calendar and rules. However every school system does not have to start practice just because TSSAA has a calendar. TSSAA allows spring football practice but that does mean a school system has to have spring football. Does not even mean every school within a system has to. I know what you are saying  and agree. Just like now the state is in phase one but some larger cities are on different phase and not on same time frame.

So, I'm glad that we agree to a point... my counterpoint is that TSSAA has deferred to local government what traditionally has, and should be, their decision in order to avoid liability. Local authorities are allowing Peabody, Union City, and Milan (among others, and to varying degrees) to proceed with football operations largely unaffected by the current craziness over CV-19, and TSSAA is fine with that. Just for a counter example, Whitehaven is unable to participate in any organized football activity at all, and would be punished if they did. In another hypothetical situation... Let's say that Shelby County schools do not reconvene for a fall semester, yet everyone else fields a football team... I guarantee you that TSSAA will happily sanction the playoffs and take their customary share of the $$$, even though they will not authorize member schools to begin operations, and have said that they will continue to police dead period (now controlled by local authorities).

Just to give you some insight, I'm not bitter about a team not practicing, nor another team taking advantage and moving forward... "my" school would be allowed if they so choose, but have set a date for June 1 instead.

11 hours ago, fb247 said:

You still don't get it. He is saying exactly what I was saying. TSSAA can not tell an individual school system when they can begin working out. They can set all the calendars they want but if a school system wants to delay starting that is their decision. Maybe now you understand. Individual school systems have the power not TSSAA. 

Let a school work out in the dead period and the tssaa find out about it. We will see real quick if the the tssaa can tell a school when they can and can’t practice....

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Let a school work out in the dead period and the tssaa find out about it. We will see real quick if the the tssaa can tell a school when they can and can’t practice....

This is not about this. The conversation has been that TSSAA can not tell a school system when to start practice.  We are saying with following the calendar of course.  Just saying if TSSAA says you can begin practice,  if a school system decides it is not good for them to start then they don't have to. 

1 hour ago, fb247 said:

This is not about this. The conversation has been that TSSAA can not tell a school system when to start practice.  We are saying with following the calendar of course.  Just saying if TSSAA says you can begin practice,  if a school system decides it is not good for them to start then they don't have to. 

Of course they can tell you. You just have the option to listen or not. They can tell you all day long and if you don’t want to that’s the schools business. 

1 hour ago, fb247 said:

Now you're twisting the meaning of the conversation. This was never about TSSAA instructing (forcing... lol) member schools to start football operations, it's about them leaving everyone without consolidated organization and leadership. The rules are in place to prevent schools from exceeding limits, not mandating that they start when directed, and nobody now nor has ever had to follow TSSAA's guidelines if they don't wish to. Member schools PAY TSSAA to set unilateral and unbiased rules and regulations in order to maintain a relative level playing field for competition with other member schools, and they have opted out of their responsibilities with their lack of direction and deference to local authorities. They desperately need for football to happen this fall, so they dare not to delay practice until most area's are able to begin, yet won't stick out their neck to set statewide dates for drills, full pads, dead period, ect… (which they do every year) for fear that they could be held responsible if someone is exposed.

3 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Rural schools are going to get a head start this year while urban schools are gonna be behind.  That is just common sense and the way it will be this year.  We all just have to deal with it and move on.  

Metro schools was not allowed to have spring football for a long time when other counties were within TSSAA rules and guidelines. Same thing is happening now with each county school system making decisions best for them. 

Buddy Brown

Edited by runtheball
  • Like 1

Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association

Constitution

Article 1

Section 3

The mission of the TSSAA is to serve it's members by providing leadership and coordination for the administration of interscholastic athletics...

FAIL

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, runtheball said:

Metro schools was not allowed to have spring football for a long time when other counties were within TSSAA rules and guidelines. Same thing is happening now with each county school system making decisions best for them. 

Buddy Brown

Yep, and Clarksville schools did not even have middle school ball and not sure if they do now or not.  

2 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Yep, and Clarksville schools did not even have middle school ball and not sure if they do now or not.  

I think overkill has happened in high schools with individual sports. Year long demands and coaches demanding or expecting kids to specialize. Colleges still want multi sports athletes and a lot of high schools need to share athletes. I remember Principal Dan Herron demanding coaches that when football was over it was basketball and when it was over it was baseball and then it was summer time and nothing was done with your sport until it started back the next season according to TSSAA calendar. Also any coach that went against his policy was no longer coaching.

• Upvote 2