1A Sleeper Teams 2020

Greenfield would be on the top of my list for sure. West Carroll went deep enough in the playoffs, where people in West Tennessee will no longer consider them as a "sleeper." However, you can say they're a "sleeper" statewide. 

Right now, Greenfield and West Carroll are knocking on Lake County's door. I believe some people in West Tennessee would put West Carroll as the favorite in Region 7-1A, but I do think that Lake County is still ahead of Greenfield.

At this point, I just don't know how good Lake County is going to be in 2020.  I just don't. It comes to the point where I have to take momentum over question marks. West Carroll has momentum entering 2020, and Lake County (despite winning state and going 15-0) really don't have momentum to me, which is odd.

However, I'm ready for Halls, Humboldt, and South Fulton to take the next step. It's time. I don't know what's holding Halls and South Fulton back honestly. Humboldt is a mess (and it starts with their school system, not the players). Also, the Vikings are struggling to find players.

• Like 1

My sleeper teams are.... 

Copper Basin lost a pretty good senior class but only having to replace one guy up front, a lot of young guys got playing time this past year. Have a few receivers that could have big time seasons next year, Qb had a big year last year and I look for him to have an even bigger year this year with more of the receivers being developed. Watch out for the Cougars next year. Theirs a few players on the roster that is capable of playing college ball, with a couple of them already having offers.

Gordonsville is another team that is a sleeping giant in my opinion, had a lot of quality young players last season. They’re just a tough and gritty football team. 

Call me crazy but I think Sale Creek might make a little noise next year, they have some quality guys coming back next year. The line is solid and the Qb is a pretty good dual threat.  

I don’t know too much about the teams in middle tn or out west so forgive me for not including them.

Edited by TheCommander

8 hours ago, TheCommander said:

My sleeper teams are.... 

Copper Basin lost a pretty good senior class but only having to replace one guy up front, a lot of young guys got playing time this past year. Have a few receivers that could have big time seasons next year, Qb had a big year last year and I look for him to have an even bigger year this year with more of the receivers being developed. Watch out for the Cougars next year. Theirs a few players on the roster that is capable of playing college ball, with a couple of them already having offers.

Gordonsville is another team that is a sleeping giant in my opinion, had a lot of quality young players last season. They’re just a tough and gritty football team. 

Call me crazy but I think Sale Creek might make a little noise next year, they have some quality guys coming back next year. The line is solid and the Qb is a pretty good dual threat.  

I don’t know too much about the teams in middle tn or out west so forgive me for not including them.

Yea Copper Basin does have a stud QB veteran that's coming back. I definitely forgot about Gordonsville they have some young guys returning

This is a slam dunk answer but I'd have to say Jo Byrns.  When you see the success they have enjoyed through the years last season's 2-8 regular season finish is an outlier.  I don't see them going 2-8 too many times.  That's a program that from 2005-2010 went 73-8 over a 6 year period and played in a couple of championship games.

Edited by howdoitknow