TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

11 minutes ago, Djohnson said:

More and more cases each day it really isn’t looking good for a high school football

With more testing and with the phasing in of activities, common sense says to me that cases will go up.  More people are moving around.  Even if everyone wore a mask, there would be more cases confirmed.  The media seems to act surprised.  "Flatten the curve" pushed new cases out further out along the curve (to keep from overwhelming the heath care system) and it worked.  However, new cases will continue to rise.  The hope is that there isn't a big spike.

2 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

Do you have solid facts that a mask stops the virus? Have you seen people and how they are wearing these said masks? If indeed they do stop the virus, then my guess is only 10% of the people that wear them do so properly anyway or even have the correct mask type. Can't you get the virus through your eyes? Shouldn't we all have ski masks with a glass covering for the eyes? See...this is such a media-driven, panic-based argument! There is no proof and it's never-ending as to what works and what does not. 

So in your opinion, we shouldn't take a preventative measure because 90% of the population doesn't know how properly wear a mask?

Condoms don't work 100% of the time, even when you wear them correctly. But they are highly effective when they are worn correctly. No one is saying that masks are 100% effective. Not even the CDC is saying that. But the point of the mask is to significantly lower the risk of transmittal. Cloth material is effective at trapping moisture droplets, which are the primary motive force behind airborne contaminants/germs, etc. Microscopic viruses don't just magically travel through the air on their own; if they did, a mask would do absolutely nothing for you. Fortunately, they need a motive force, and that can absolutely be stopped/slowed by a mask.

I do agree that the media has created a lot of the panic that we've seen. But come on man, why are you being so defensive about wearing a mask? I'm not advocating for shutting everything down, I'm simply saying that we should heed the consensus advice of medical professionals when it comes to the use of masks.

27 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

So in your opinion, we shouldn't take a preventative measure because 90% of the population doesn't know how properly wear a mask?

Condoms don't work 100% of the time, even when you wear them correctly. But they are highly effective when they are worn correctly. No one is saying that masks are 100% effective. Not even the CDC is saying that. But the point of the mask is to significantly lower the risk of transmittal. Cloth material is effective at trapping moisture droplets, which are the primary motive force behind airborne contaminants/germs, etc. Microscopic viruses don't just magically travel through the air on their own; if they did, a mask would do absolutely nothing for you. Fortunately, they need a motive force, and that can absolutely be stopped/slowed by a mask.

I do agree that the media has created a lot of the panic that we've seen. But come on man, why are you being so defensive about wearing a mask? I'm not advocating for shutting everything down, I'm simply saying that we should heed the consensus advice of medical professionals when it comes to the use of masks.

Consensus advice? That would be a lie. There is no consensus whatsoever. We’ve been from don’t wear a mask to wear a mask to don’t wear a mask to now wear one again?! This is complete chaos. Who do you believe and when? There is no proof it will prevent it at all...none. It is suggested and assumed that it’s a bigtime prevention mechanism but it’s just bogus media driven narrative. Here’s what I do: I wash my hands a lot, distance as much as possible, cover my nose and mouth when I cough and sneeze, and stay as safe as possible by just using common sense. If the mask thing was so preventative, why in the world do we not wear them when the flu is making the rounds in it’s contagious time of circulation?! It’s as contagious and even more so through the years, especially with our kids.

1 minute ago, sportsguy22 said:

If the mask thing was so preventative, why in the world do we not wear them when the flu is making the rounds in it’s contagious time of circulation?! It’s as contagious and even more so through the years, especially with our kids.

We don't do it in the US, but a large portion of the developed world does wear masks during flu season.

4 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Consensus advice? That would be a lie. There is no consensus whatsoever. We’ve been from don’t wear a mask to wear a mask to don’t wear a mask to now wear one again?! This is complete chaos. Who do you believe and when? There is no proof it will prevent it at all...none. It is suggested and assumed that it’s a bigtime prevention mechanism but it’s just bogus media driven narrative. Here’s what I do: I wash my hands a lot, distance as much as possible, cover my nose and mouth when I cough and sneeze, and stay as safe as possible by just using common sense. If the mask thing was so preventative, why in the world do we not wear them when the flu is making the rounds in it’s contagious time of circulation?! It’s as contagious and even more so through the years, especially with our kids.

22, I think the measures you take are ideal. Correctly washing your hands and distancing are certainly more effective than just wearing a mask. I do all of the things you mentioned, but I also follow the advice of the medical professionals that I work with. I trust that they know better than I do. In short, we are mandated to wear masks if we cannot socially distance. Our specific guidance comes from the Mayo Clinic and the CDC. I'm sure we could go back and forth posting resources that contradict this guidance, but here it is:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

2 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

22, I think the measures you take are ideal. Correctly washing your hands and distancing are certainly more effective than just wearing a mask. I do all of the things you mentioned, but I also follow the advice of the medical professionals that I work with. I trust that they know better than I do. In short, we are mandated to wear masks if we cannot socially distance. Our specific guidance comes from the Mayo Clinic and the CDC. I'm sure we could go back and forth posting resources that contradict this guidance, but here it is:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

We can politely agree to disagree. We don’t fully disagree obviously. It’s just a matter of personal responsibility and each person making the best decision for himself/herself. It makes sense for the at risk and the elderly to wear a mask, but not so much for those of us who are healthy and are not around the at risk. And it’s maddening to see so many that don’t even wear the masks correctly anyway. It’s almost like a fashion statement for many people. It’s just an overblown narrative that is currently highlighted in the media. And how many times have the media overblown things??!! 

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

We don't do it in the US, but a large portion of the developed world does wear masks during flu season.

Like I said, we’ve never wore them for the flu. If this mask thing is so crucial, we should basically wear masks from here on...and do you think everyone will? If we go all in, then we should all go all in moving forward. Problem is...not everyone will and the “experts” won’t recommend it either. We are a nation of personal responsibility and that is not going to change. 

I don't know if it really is or isn't but there seems to be some correlation in states that have mask requirements and lower new cases and states that have no requirement are the ones that seem to be spiking. It could be a coincidence, but the correlation is there.

23 minutes ago, Solomon said:

I don't know if it really is or isn't but there seems to be some correlation in states that have mask requirements and lower new cases and states that have no requirement are the ones that seem to be spiking. It could be a coincidence, but the correlation is there.

I’m more focused on the death and hospitalizations rather than the case count. The case count may not be fully legit but, even if it is, a large amount of these new cases are not serious or are asymptomatic. It’s just not significant because testing has increased in large numbers and we are opening up all over the country. The death rate is plummeting as a result, which is great news. If we’re going to get caught up in case counts and running tally totals, it’s just a numbers game for catchy headlines. Why don’t we do the same with the flu?! Case counts can skyrocket annually with the flu. It’s not a bad thing that many young and healthy people are getting this virus all over with little to no symptoms. That herd immunity is crucial for our population to get through this just like the flu. Again, maybe masks help but maybe they don’t. I just don’t like when people try to boss others around not knowing the truth or having proof if it even helps. You take care of you and I’ll take care of me...just like all other aspects of life.

• CoachT locked this topic