TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

5 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

I truly wish we could get a daily count of the only two categories that matter...hospitalizations and deaths. Then, we can work off those percentages. This will give us the fairest data moving forward and maybe end all the panic and fear chaos too.

Tennessee Department of Health. Updates are on their website every day. 

2 minutes ago, Sidelinehustler said:

Tennessee Department of Health. Updates are on their website every day. 

Understood. The problem is people are watching the media and social media on a daily basis. The headlines are always negative and focus on total cases each day and a running tally overall...both are meaningless and sadly strike fear and panic in our d sad society. It’s unfair and flat out terrible biased reporting.

9 hours ago, hardtackle said:

I think we should all just plan on them saying no to football then act surprised if we get it. I think that is what the governor/staff and TSSAA are doing to us. They are saying maybe/hopefully and then saying no!

That's the spirit! Plan on having nothing and get caught with your pants down if/when it's allowed. We're "planning" on playing, and will/can easily adjust to whatever is allowed. You pessimistic doomsday soothsayers who believe that it's a waste of time conditioning and teaching our athletes amaze me with all the negativity...I'm as much of a realist as any of you, and seriously am worried that football ( along with other activities and school it's self ) will be minimized or cancelled, whether from a "real" threat or political posturing doesn't really matter to me at all. The whole argument for or against isn't ours to fight, but the choice to prepare or not is... I'll gladly be ready to move forward at whatever pace is allowed and be wrong, rather than sit down with our heads in our hands and "prepare" to miss the season, and be right.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

I truly wish we could get a daily count of the only two categories that matter...hospitalizations and deaths. Then, we can work off those percentages. This will give us the fairest data moving forward and maybe end all the panic and fear chaos too.

From the very start, the goal has been to minimize the RATE of spread so the health care systems are not overwhelmed causing needless deaths. Obviously, without a vaccine, most everyone is going to come into contact with the bug. Some will seem immune, others will die, and there will be a lot of stages in between. Hopefully, with those that are impacted the worst, the hospitals will have a bed and even a ventilator for one last chance. So I agree, hospitalizations and deaths are the key stats to track. Little else matters unless you need some % infected before deciding to wear a mask.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tradertwo said:

That's the spirit! Plan on having nothing and get caught with your pants down if/when it's allowed. We're "planning" on playing, and will/can easily adjust to whatever is allowed. You pessimistic doomsday soothsayers who believe that it's a waste of time conditioning and teaching our athletes amaze me with all the negativity...I'm as much of a realist as any of you, and seriously am worried that football ( along with other activities and school it's self ) will be minimized or cancelled, whether from a "real" threat or political posturing doesn't really matter to me at all. The whole argument for or against isn't ours to fight, but the choice to prepare or not is... I'll gladly be ready to move forward at whatever pace is allowed and be wrong, rather than sit down with our heads in our hands and "prepare" to miss the season, and be right.

I believe he was just posting what I had posted earlier trader.My post was in jest,but this is a government thing and the best way for us FANS not COACHES or PLAYERS to go about this is to just wait and see.We all get on here and speculate (which is our right to on a public board) but in all reality we have no clue if the will let the kids play.The coaches and kids job is to be ready just like always UNTIL they shut it down or let them play.I think it's a crock of crap and we should play!The media is killing it every day 2500 new cases yesterday "so they say".I am no doomsdayer nor pessimists at all but I am a realist and the Government IS IN CONTROL of the football season and I DO NOT TRUST them to do what's right,they will do what THEY want.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, orngnblk said:

I believe he was just posting what I had posted earlier trader.My post was in jest,but this is a government thing and the best way for us FANS not COACHES or PLAYERS to go about this is to just wait and see.We all get on here and speculate (which is our right to on a public board) but in all reality we have no clue if the will let the kids play.The coaches and kids job is to be ready just like always UNTIL they shut it down or let them play.I think it's a crock of crap and we should play!The media is killing it every day 2500 new cases yesterday "so they say".I am no doomsdayer nor pessimists at all but I am a realist and the Government IS IN CONTROL of the football season and I DO NOT TRUST them to do what's right,they will do what THEY want.

I just get frustrated hearing all the negative news from the media, then get on here and a select few are repeating what they hear and evidently embellishing that with their own one sided research. I'm probably in a relatively unique position with real life first hand knowledge of CV-19... nine family members have tested positive ranging from eight to fifty years of age. Three pre-teens positive, two with absolutely no symptoms and one with a low fever for one day... two teenagers with no symptoms... four adults in the 45-50 age group, with symptoms that resembled mild flu or serious cold for two or three days. A childhood friend's mom passed away from Covid last week... she had serious lung problems beginning in the seventies, a thirty year drug addiction from the 80's until about ten years ago, and was almost eighty years old... another close friend's dad passed away yesterday from Covid, never mind that he was in a traffic accident a week ago resulting in multiple fractures, a brain bleed, ruptured diaphragm, and had not regained consciousness since surgery the day after the accident. He was seventy six, tested negative for the virus when admitted, then tested positive the day before he passed. There are more... several friends of my family members (the teens) also tested positive with few symptoms, but I'm sticking to the ones that I know about.

I had no intentions of tromping on feelings of posters for their opinions, just a bad day from my old friend's dad (he and I talked almost daily, and were closer now than myself and his son) passing away, and growing tired of hearing blown out of proportion reports.

• Like 1

This isn't TSSAA-specific, but definitely fall football related. Ohio State shutdown all voluntary workouts yesterday, due to a deluge of positive COVID cases, although they aren't publicly reporting exactly how many. Rumor is that the Big Ten is now planning to delay fall football, and could cancel the season altogether. This is a big change from the league's stance just a couple of weeks ago.

• Upvote 1

• CoachT locked this topic