TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

I have contacted my state legislators (which I normally don't do) and told them how ridiculous their handling of the COVID-19 issue has been. I'm still greatly disturbed that the Governor was tracing our cell phones earlier this year and then ordered a stay-at-home edict.

Students have a higher percentage chance of dying in an automobile accident than dying from COVID-19, so should we stop allowing students to drive to school? The Ford Hospital released a study that showed hydroxychloroquine is 99% effective against COVID-19. We don't need to wait for a vaccine. There are going to be outbreaks of COVID- 19. Are we going to wait for 0 cases before we start living again?  What's the next shut down going to be about?

Governor Lee approves pro and college football, but NOT high school football. How ridiculous is that? In this time of extreme racial divisions, we need the great racial uniter, high school athletics!

Please write your legislators and tell them to get off their part-time butts and get to work! It is their job even if it is only their part-time job.

1 hour ago, Salem said:

TN is in the same category as California while other states -Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Louisiana, Iowa - are practicing football.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/07/09/high-school-football-proceeds-some-states-despite-covid-19-concerns/5400244002/

Yeah it is a bad deal. TSSAA been asleep all summer and “shocked” at the news of the government Executive Order and said they were caught off guard. They should have been communicating with coaches and AD’s all summer putting out guidelines. I talked to a coach at length about a month ago and he said TSSAA told schools they were in charge of guidelines...etc..I think that is the problem. Other associations are being leaders in other states.

Edited by pioneer42

Dallas, TX Superintendent said "I am fairly sure there will be no Texas high school football this year."

Football is king in Texas, this could be huge in other states determining the "best" course of action. I hate it for all the seniors, been waiting on this all their lives. Have everyone sign a waiver and lets Tee it up. IF you are uncomfortable and scared STAY AT HOME. 

28 minutes ago, GENERALLEE said:

I have contacted my state legislators (which I normally don't do) and told them how ridiculous their handling of the COVID-19 issue has been. I'm still greatly disturbed that the Governor was tracing our cell phones earlier this year and then ordered a stay-at-home edict.

Students have a higher percentage chance of dying in an automobile accident than dying from COVID-19, so should we stop allowing students to drive to school? The Ford Hospital released a study that showed hydroxychloroquine is 99% effective against COVID-19. We don't need to wait for a vaccine. There are going to be outbreaks of COVID- 19. Are we going to wait for 0 cases before we start living again?  What's the next shut down going to be about?

Governor Lee approves pro and college football, but NOT high school football. How ridiculous is that? In this time of extreme racial divisions, we need the great racial uniter, high school athletics!

Please write your legislators and tell them to get off their part-time butts and get to work! It is their job even if it is only their part-time job.

Give me his number and name. I’ll give him a call too.

39 minutes ago, RodgerDodger32 said:

Dallas, TX Superintendent said "I am fairly sure there will be no Texas high school football this year."

Football is king in Texas, this could be huge in other states determining the "best" course of action. I hate it for all the seniors, been waiting on this all their lives. Have everyone sign a waiver and lets Tee it up. IF you are uncomfortable and scared STAY AT HOME. 

you can't actually sign away a right to sue for negligence.

55 minutes ago, RodgerDodger32 said:

The issue is that one can sign a waiver for themselves and then go home and give it to somebody else that did not sign a waiver.

You are sending mixed signals when you mandate masks, make kids sit 6 feet apart in school and shut down certain businesses but then allow everybody to travel from county to county to go to football games on Friday night.

It shouldn't be an all-or-none situation for football or other sports. Those school districts that want to allow it-pending governor's orders-should be allowed to do so. It may take some late shake-up with scheduling. If a substantial amount of schools aren't playing, allow teams to schedule all games on their own without regions then divide into playoffs by school populations for classes/winning percentage for seeding. Number of classes depending on how many teams participating. 

Baseball and softball clearly could have been played in the summer, there have been youth teams playing all over for weeks. Still disappointed at that. 

Just now, Indian said:

It shouldn't be an all-or-none situation for football or other sports. Those school districts that want to allow it-pending governor's orders-should be allowed to do so. It may take some late shake-up with scheduling. If a substantial amount of schools aren't playing, allow teams to schedule all games on their own without regions then divide into playoffs by school populations for classes/winning percentage for seeding. Number of classes depending on how many teams participating. 

Baseball and softball clearly could have been played in the summer, there have been youth teams playing all over for weeks. Still disappointed at that. 

This makes sense but would require leadership and some extra work and some courage. All have been in short supply.

20 minutes ago, steelcityroller said:

The issue is that one can sign a waiver for themselves and then go home and give it to somebody else that did not sign a waiver.

You are sending mixed signals when you mandate masks, make kids sit 6 feet apart in school and shut down certain businesses but then allow everybody to travel from county to county to go to football games on Friday night.

This.

13 hours ago, tradertwo said:

That's the spirit! Plan on having nothing and get caught with your pants down if/when it's allowed. We're "planning" on playing, and will/can easily adjust to whatever is allowed. You pessimistic doomsday soothsayers who believe that it's a waste of time conditioning and teaching our athletes amaze me with all the negativity...I'm as much of a realist as any of you, and seriously am worried that football ( along with other activities and school it's self ) will be minimized or cancelled, whether from a "real" threat or political posturing doesn't really matter to me at all. The whole argument for or against isn't ours to fight, but the choice to prepare or not is... I'll gladly be ready to move forward at whatever pace is allowed and be wrong, rather than sit down with our heads in our hands and "prepare" to miss the season, and be right.

read what i said. I said plan on playing only to have them in a few weeks saying no. They are not saying no now to keep people happy. Just postponing the inevitable .

• CoachT locked this topic