TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

4 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

The panic pessimistic fear and negativity are rolling downhill yet again! Great leadership. Ignore the stats that matter and live in fear! At least until the election...

A moderator on Volquest just said he thinks HS football will be played and they are always conservative in making opinions. That is a good sign. They talk to Pruitt, Fulmer and that bunch often Also Rutherford County (Murfreesboro) voted unanimous for in person school tonight..

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

I think that you will have a handful of school systems go back for 1-2 weeks just so they can see where the kids are at and get them the distance learning materials/devices. And then they will be sent back to distance learning at home.

I say that for several reasons.

One being that I doubt all these school systems would be spending all this money on individual devices and hot spots for every student if they felt like they would be having a normal fall school year.

Another being the staff that schools are or more so aren't hiring in several districts. You can't cut 10-15% of your staff and then be able to do the things these schools are saying they are gonna do with reopening.

Another issue that isn't being brought up is PPE and cleaning equipment. They are saying right now that unless something is done then hospitals may once again be seeing a shortage on PPE and cleaning supplies because of the increased hospitalizations and protocols. What effect do you think opening thousands of schools across the country and requiring every staff member/student have a mask, hand sanitizer and gloves would have on that issue? I know for a fact that schools and suppliers are already having this conversation.

There is a lot that is said behind closed doors that isn't told to the public because they would rather wait until the last minute than have to hear complaints and deal with the backlash for weeks.

As they say need to know basis.

1 hour ago, steelcityroller said:

I think that you will have a handful of school systems go back for 1-2 weeks just so they can see where the kids are at and get them the distance learning materials/devices. And then they will be sent back to distance learning at home.

One being that I doubt all these school systems would be spending all this money on individual devices and hot spots for every student if they felt like they would be having a normal fall school year.

Another being the staff that schools are or more so aren't hiring in several districts. You can't cut 10-15% of your staff and then be able to do the things these schools are saying they are gonna do with reopening.

Another issue that isn't being brought up is PPE and cleaning equipment. They are saying right now that unless something is done then hospitals may once again be seeing a shortage on PPE and cleaning supplies because of the increased hospitalizations and protocols. What effect do you think opening thousands of schools across the country and requiring every staff member/student have a mask, hand sanitizer and gloves would have on that issue? I know for a fact that schools and suppliers are already having this conversation.

There is a lot that is said behind closed doors that isn't told to the public because they would rather wait until the last minute than have to hear complaints and deal with the backlash for weeks.

I disagree. Kids need schools and I listened to a long pandemic conference by the governor and his staff yesterday that said why. Lots of kids come from bad families and school is their safe haven. Lots of kids are very poor and got to have in class school. Same with smart kids. How can a teacher give one on attention online?? How can kids see a chalkboard on their phones?? Kids need to be in school. Online class is BS. These kids education and lives are essential. 

2 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Rutherford Co issues plan to reopen traditional schools.  So not everyone is following metros lead.  Sumner votes on July 15.  

Trump said dont open schools you get NO FUNDING.So some of the Government wants the schools open across the board.

6 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I disagree. Kids need schools and I listened to a long pandemic conference by the governor and his staff yesterday that said why. Lots of kids come from bad families and school is their safe haven. Lots of kids are very poor and got to have in class school. Same with smart kids. How can a teacher give one on attention online?? How can kids see a chalkboard on their phones?? Kids need to be in school. Online class is BS. These kids education and lives are essential. 

What are you disagreeing with? Roller didn't say anything about what was best for these kids.

I think most of us would agree that there is no substitute for in-class learning, and some kids just don't have another quality alternative. But online learning is a thing; it was a thing before COVID, and it will be during and after COVID. It can be effective if applied properly, but it also depends on the student; some need more one-on-one instruction, so online learning isn't going to be best for everyone.

That said, this is going to be part of our new normal, and we will have to embrace it to a certain degree. I worry primarily about how the young elementary school students will handle this, but on the flip side, this could be an excellent way for schools to better manage their resources, overcrowding issues, etc.

7 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

What are you disagreeing with? Roller didn't say anything about what was best for these kids.

I think most of us would agree that there is no substitute for in-class learning, and some kids just don't have another quality alternative. But online learning is a thing; it was a thing before COVID, and it will be during and after COVID. It can be effective if applied properly, but it also depends on the student; some need more one-on-one instruction, so online learning isn't going to be best for everyone.

That said, this is going to be part of our new normal, and we will have to embrace it to a certain degree. I worry primarily about how the young elementary school students will handle this, but on the flip side, this could be an excellent way for schools to better manage their resources, overcrowding issues, etc.

I dont know about the online stuff really.Maybe ok for teenage kids but face it parents are lazy!I think kids need to be AT THE school myself.Some kids have a hard enough time at home much less trying to do school work also.JMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

I dont know about the online stuff really.Maybe ok for teenage kids but face it parents are lazy!I think kids need to be AT THE school myself.Some kids have a hard enough time at home much less trying to do school work also.JMO.

Again, this depends on the student. It's not for everyone. Which is why many school systems are giving the option of in-person or online.

Edited by osunut2

1 hour ago, orngnblk said:

Trump said dont open schools you get NO FUNDING.So some of the Government wants the schools open across the board.

An empty threat.

Nearly all funding comes from local taxes. And what federal funding there is has to be decided upon by congress. Which won't side with Trump on this issue.

Also in an election year cutting funding for schools isn't a good look.

Edited by steelcityroller
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, steelcityroller said:

Believe most will go back normal. And they should! Saw where one state had 0 deaths for ages 0-19 and they cancelled all contact sports for fall. WHY?  All about politics!

19 minutes ago, ecu said:

Believe most will go back normal. And they should! Saw where one state had 0 deaths for ages 0-19 and they cancelled all contact sports for fall. WHY?  All about politics!

You do realize that just because kids aren't dying doesn't mean they won't be transferring the virus to adults right?  

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

I disagree kids will be sent home in a couple of weeks to do homeschool. Don’t believe that at all. 

• CoachT locked this topic