TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

8 hours ago, tradertwo said:

If we don't have football this year we have lots of people to blame, but Americans acting like Americans won't be at fault for it, and neither will the County Fair.

We've all gone back and forth on this for 52 pages (maybe 53 by the time I'm finished typing), and I understand that we've all dug our heels in, for the most part. But I still can't understand why some folks still have their heads in the sand. It's one thing to argue what 22 has argued; he said it himself - he's doing just about everything aside from wearing a mask to keep himself out of harms way, while trying to live his life. He and I will agree to disagree on some aspects of that, but I understand his tact, and I appreciate the fact that there is actual "tact" involved in his decision making.

But to say that "Americans acting like Americans" isn't a problem is exactly the problem. Pretending like there isn't an issue where there is an obvious issue is exactly the problem. I get that we're all tired and frustrated, but our collective callous attitude about this whole mess is exactly why we are still in this mess. My politics shouldn't matter, but apparently they do to some on this board; I'm a right-leaning moderate in a family full of doctors and other medical professionals, and it is a crying shame that the entire medical community can present a mountain of evidence to the masses explaining why we should be handling this entire situation with kid gloves (while still trying to resume some kind of normal), and yet a large percentage of the population just casts it off completely as some sort of political conspiracy or "fake news." We can certainly debate how that medical advice is "all over the board" or "constantly changing," and we can even debate "common sense" all we want, but to say that this is all part of some giant conspiracy and that we shouldn't adjust our behavior to some degree is just willful ignorance, which is sad. I'm pleading with everyone - stop making this about politics and acknowledge that this is a real (not manufactured) health crisis. Visceral defiance just fans the flames of this political inferno.

I'm not saying that we should cancel the football season, and I'm not saying that I want the season to be cancelled. I think we all agree that a year without football would absolutely suck. Sports have always been my outlet to escape the real world, and my life in recent months has been a blur without that outlet. But if we have the opportunity to slow (or potentially stop) a preventable virus from impacting/ravaging our society, shouldn't we collectively be interested in doing our part to protect one another? I'm not asking us to put our lives completely on hold and not resume some kind of normal. Life is about risk management, to a certain degree. I just think that we should all acknowledge what we are trying to combat and try to think beyond ourselves for once.

Sorry for the TLDR soapbox moment, Trader. I wish I had enough confidence in my fellow man to share your sentiment, but I don't. I'm hoping that others will prove me wrong! Let's try to be smart, patient, kind, and considerate in these difficult times.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

What about in New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia and Seattle where they were arm in arm by the thousands and many unmasked??

You- "...Nashville is only online until Labor day."  

Me - for now

You- What about in New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia and Seattle where they were arm in arm by the thousands and many unmasked??

Me- :rolleyes: Pretty sure they're going to school online too, but what in the world are you talking about?

Edited by guthook

13 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

We've all gone back and forth on this for 52 pages (maybe 53 by the time I'm finished typing), and I understand that we've all dug our heels in, for the most part. But I still can't understand why some folks still have their heads in the sand. It's one thing to argue what 22 has argued; he said it himself - he's doing just about everything aside from wearing a mask to keep himself out of harms way, while trying to live his life. He and I will agree to disagree on some aspects of that, but I understand his tact, and I appreciate the fact that there is actual "tact" involved in his decision making.

But to say that "Americans acting like Americans" isn't a problem is exactly the problem. Pretending like there isn't an issue where there is an obvious issue is exactly the problem. I get that we're all tired and frustrated, but our collective callous attitude about this whole mess is exactly why we are still in this mess. My politics shouldn't matter, but apparently they do to some on this board; I'm a right-leaning moderate in a family full of doctors and other medical professionals, and it is a crying shame that the entire medical community can present a mountain of evidence to the masses explaining why we should be handling this entire situation with kid gloves (while still trying to resume some kind of normal), and yet a large percentage of the population just casts it off completely as some sort of political conspiracy or "fake news." We can certainly debate how that medical advice is "all over the board" or "constantly changing," and we can even debate "common sense" all we want, but to say that this is all part of some giant conspiracy and that we shouldn't adjust our behavior to some degree is just willful ignorance, which is sad. I'm pleading with everyone - stop making this about politics and acknowledge that this is a real (not manufactured) health crisis. Visceral defiance just fans the flames of this political inferno.

I'm not saying that we should cancel the football season, and I'm not saying that I want the season to be cancelled. I think we all agree that a year without football would absolutely suck. Sports have always been my outlet to escape the real world, and my life in recent months has been a blur without that outlet. But if we have the opportunity to slow (or potentially stop) a preventable virus from impacting/ravaging our society, shouldn't we collectively be interested in doing our part to protect one another? I'm not asking us to put our lives completely on hold and not resume some kind of normal. Life is about risk management, to a certain degree. I just think that we should all acknowledge what we are trying to combat and try to think beyond ourselves for once.

Sorry for the TLDR soapbox moment, Trader. I wish I had enough confidence in my fellow man to share your sentiment, but I don't. I'm hoping that others will prove me wrong! Let's try to be smart, patient, kind, and considerate in these difficult times.

Amen!   Osunut2  well said!  Everybody in this country needs to get on the same team in order to stop this  stuff!  Quit arguing about and DO IT!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bounder said:

Amen!   Osunut2  well said!  Everybody in this country needs to get on the same team in order to stop this  stuff!  Quit arguing about and DO IT!

Do what? Just curious what you mean? What do we all need to do to end this? I agree with most of what was said by the way.

22 minutes ago, guthook said:

You- "...Nashville is only online until Labor day."  

Me - for now

You- What about in New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia and Seattle where they were arm in arm by the thousands and many unmasked??

Me- :rolleyes: Pretty sure they're not going to school online too, but what in the world are you talking about?

Just stating that the four big cities I mentioned above seem to be fine right now where riots took place. Nashville will be fine. Media is the main thing keeping this virus going. It will run out of gas soon. The corruption will catch up. 

20 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Just stating that the four big cities I mentioned above seem to be fine right now where riots took place. Nashville will be fine. Media is the main thing keeping this virus going. It will run out of gas soon. The corruption will catch up. 

If you think covid has anything to do with corruption, you are part of the problem, and part of the mindset that may keep us from playing football.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, guthook said:

If you think covid has anything to do with corruption, you are part of the problem, and part of the mindset that may keep us from playing football.  

Some of the FLA labs are starting to raise lots of questions having 100% positivity rates. Not saying I don’t respect the virus because I social distance, wear a mask in public places but I also believe a lot of your numbers are BS and bogus. And if you believe every thing you hear in the media as fact then your the problem.

3 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Some of the FLA labs are starting to raise lots of questions having 100% positivity rates. Not saying I don’t respect the virus because I social distance, wear a mask in public places but I also believe a lot of your numbers are BS and bogus. And if you believe every thing you hear in the media as fact then your the problem.

If the numbers were bogus, the president would raise heck.  I cannot stress this enough.  Instead, he hasn't made a peep.  He's even started wearing a mask.

8 minutes ago, guthook said:

If the numbers were bogus, the president would raise heck.  I cannot stress this enough.  Instead, he hasn't made a peep.  He's even started wearing a mask.

He wore a mask to the WALTER REED HOSPITAL! Common sense stuff. If allowed in any hospital, we'd all wear a mask for obvious reasons. The President is not going to get into a numbers game right now in the middle of a campaign. It's useless. However, there likely may be a time for all that later on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, guthook said:

Ok. So all the President has to do is question the numbers and we will all come to the consensus the numbers are bogus? He's catching flack now for pointing out how many times Fauci has been incorrect. . 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Salem said:

Ok. So all the President has to do is question the numbers and we will all come to the consensus the numbers are bogus? He's catching flack now for pointing out how many times Fauci has been incorrect. . 

The man tweets any thought that occurs to  him.  You think he's showing restraint on this one?

Edited by guthook
  • Like 1

• CoachT locked this topic