POWELL FOOTBALL 2020

13 hours ago, osunut2 said:

This isn't breaking news, but Greeneville has shutdown football until next week. As a result, they've chosen to cancel their opener against the Panthers. Greeneville has said they will attempt to pick up an opponent during their open date (9/25). As for Powell, I would assume they'd try to pick up an opponent during their open date, if possible (10/9). So as of now, the season will begin on Rivalry Thursday (8/27) against Anderson County.

Knox County has delayed the start of school for a 2nd time and will now begin on 8/24. I know there have been a lot of conversations locally about delaying sports in Knox County, but I've still not seen anything official from KCS. I assume they are trying to do everything "normally" for as long as they can.

What I don't understand is if a player or staff of the team gets Covid, then why don't they sit out the 14 days and come back after.  Why shut down the whole program.  Makes no sense!  Imagine if business's  shut down for 14 days cause an employee got sick.  They would be out of business quickly.  A player or coach that gets Covid should not affect the entire team!  They need to run it like the real world!  Frustrating, cause I really don't think there will be many games played this year if coaches and players are reporting cases and not hiding it.  My 2 cents

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

What I don't understand is if a player or staff of the team gets Covid, then why don't they sit out the 14 days and come back after.  Why shut down the whole program.  Makes no sense!  Imagine if business's  shut down for 14 days cause an employee got sick.  They would be out of business quickly.  A player or coach that gets Covid should not affect the entire team!  They need to run it like the real world!  Frustrating, cause I really don't think there will be many games played this year if coaches and players are reporting cases and not hiding it.  My 2 cents

I can't speak for all businesses, but if one of my colleagues tests positive, we have contact tracing protocol in place so that we can also quarantine other employees who've been in contact with that individual, at least until they've had a test to determine if they are positive/negative. I agree that shutting a program down isn't the answer, but I also don't think you can simply isolate that one individual, unless you are convinced that he didn't expose others to the virus.

In Greeneville's case, they've set this precedent, so what will they do the next time someone inevitably tests positive? Will they shut things down again for two weeks? Will they only isolate that individual or will they include any other teammates and staff members that had close contact with him? The concern with a football team, or any other group of people who haven't effectively socially distanced, is that if one or two people come up positive, it is reasonable to believe that more of the players/staff members have it (or will have it). Just look at what happened with the Marlins. It shouldn't surprise anyone that one positive case quickly grew to 20 in less than a week.

Edited by osunut2

1 hour ago, keepitmoving said:

Maybe because the player or staff that tested positive have been around the players and staff before they knew they had it.  Other people might be asymptomatic and show no signs and keep spreading it so quarantining everyone is what most teams would do.  It's like the Cardinals or Marlins in the MLB having players test positive and having to postpone series with other teams. They could have just called players up from the minors and played other teams that way by your logic that haven't tested positive.

Greeneville isn't the only program in NE TN that has shut down for two weeks because of positive test.  Sullivan North and Johnson Co have also

Edited by Swipes
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Maybe because the player or staff that tested positive have been around the players and staff before they knew they had it.  Other people might be asymptomatic and show no signs and keep spreading it so quarantining everyone is what most teams would do.  It's like the Cardinals or Marlins in the MLB having players test positive and having to postpone series with other teams. They could have just called players up from the minors and played other teams that way by your logic that haven't tested positive.

Greeneville isn't the only program in NE TN that has shut down for two weeks because of positive test.  Sullivan North and Johnson Co have also

Ya true.  I don't know how TSSAA is going to get a season in.  To much uncertainty week to week.  It will be hard on coaches to game plan and so on.  Maybe it is best to postpone season till the spring.  Or at least postpone until the election is over Nov. 4th......lol  

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

I can't speak for all businesses, but if one of my colleagues tests positive, we have contact tracing protocol in place so that we can also quarantine other employees who've been in contact with that individual, at least until they've had a test to determine if they are positive/negative. I agree that shutting a program down isn't the answer, but I also don't think you can simply isolate that one individual, unless you are convinced that he didn't expose others to the virus.

In Greeneville's case, they've set this precedent, so what will they do the next time someone inevitably tests positive? Will they shut things down again for two weeks? Will they only isolate that individual or will they include any other teammates and staff members that had close contact with him? The concern with a football team, or any other group of people who haven't effectively socially distanced, is that if one or two people come up positive, it is reasonable to believe that more of the players/staff members have it (or will have it). Just look at what happened with the Marlins. It shouldn't surprise anyone that one positive case quickly grew to 20 in less than a week.

In the Greeneville case it came from a non school trip where multiple players were on a bus together and then involved many more players through contact tracing.  It wasn't just one player, it was a significant number of players either on the bus or involved in the trace investigation.  

Nobody likes it, but the decision came from well above the Greeneville football program.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Djohnson said:

Well Powell is 1-0 going into Week 2

Don't think so. Pretty sure it's a "no contest ", meaning no winner and no loser. The game has simply been deleted on both team's schedules on the CoachT schedule pages. Both teams are trying to find games for their respective open date weeks. 

It was a non region game.  Really makes no difference how it is reflected in the W/L record. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HTV said:

Don't think so. Pretty sure it's a "no contest ", meaning no winner and no loser. The game has simply been deleted on both team's schedules on the CoachT schedule pages. Both teams are trying to find games for their respective open date weeks. 

It was a non region game.  Really makes no difference how it is reflected in the W/L record. 

:thumb: Ithink you are dead on. Good thinking HTV.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:29 AM, keepitmoving said:

Potts makes quick decisions, and is a smart runner and avoids big hits.  Unlike Trusley who would throw his body around.  They say he is 6'0" and 165lbs now and still growing.  But ya he def. needs to stay healthy for them to be successful this year.  

Mr. Potts, is that you? Lulz

So it looks like Gatlinburg Pittman is going to lose it's opener with Hampton because of Carter County Schools decision to suspend sports until physical school begins, and the issue won't be revisited until August  20. 

So how about Powell and GP play on August 21?  Should be a very good game, and it would be a nice backstory with Derek Rang coaching against the school that he took to the 5A semis in his first year as a head coach. 

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1