COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

What is crazy to me is that nothing is fully opened up because Covid-19. Movie theaters is not opening up they don’t know when they will. Cruises is canceled till late summer but will probably get extended Like they been doing. But high schools are going to have games on Friday nights with thousands of fans. I will miss football but if it will save lives then I will survive.

3 hours ago, Djohnson said:

What is crazy to me is that nothing is fully opened up because Covid-19. Movie theaters is not opening up they don’t know when they will. Cruises is canceled till late summer but will probably get extended Like they been doing. But high schools are going to have games on Friday nights with thousands of fans. I will miss football but if it will save lives then I will survive.

Movie theaters are set to open in July

• Like 1

We're going to have to learn to live with this thing, I don't think it's going away anytime soon.  Surely our society realizes that we can't go on for months and even years with things closed or cancelled.  We hear about vaccines, but it may take years to develop one that's effective enough to have confidence in it.  Even then, we see how vaccines work with the flu every year.  With that being said, there are roughly 10,000 active cases currently in the entire state, out of 7 million citizens, if I read the numbers correctly.  That's about .14%.  I feel for those that have had it, I would most likely feel differently if I was in that number, but that is a very small percentage to just keep taking things away.

Edited by GREENWAVE84EG
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GREENWAVE84EG said:

We're going to have to learn to live with this thing, I don't think it's going away anytime soon.  Surely our society realizes that we can't go on for months and even years with things closed or cancelled.  We hear about vaccines, but it may take years to develop one that's effective enough to have confidence in it.  Even then, we see how vaccines work with the flu every year.  With that being said, there are roughly 10,000 active cases currently in the entire state, out if 7 million citizens, if I read the numbers correctly.  That's about .14%.  I feel for those that have had it, I would most likely feel differently if I was in that number, but that is a very small percentage to just keep taking things away.

Very well said! Common sense approach, which is sadly lacking in today’s world. Be smart, be safe, sanitize as we all should always do, and live life! If you’re at risk or symptomatic or uncomfortable, stay home. We cannot keep letting fear and panic have such a grip on our society.

8 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Very well said! Common sense approach, which is sadly lacking in today’s world. Be smart, be safe, sanitize as we all should always do, and live life! If you’re at risk or symptomatic or uncomfortable, stay home. We cannot keep letting fear and panic have such a grip on our society.

Thanks!  With the way this year has been we certainly need things to get back to normal, or as close to it as possible.  Our kids need to be back in school, they need the activities that come along with that, and our communities need high school sports, they have a way of holding us together, especially football.

• Like 3

Columbia Central High has suspended summer football workouts through July 5 after a player tested positive for COVID-19 and I learned today that Dresden suspended summer football workouts football because of COVID-19.  I am losing faith that football will occur this fall.  I have my fingers crossed that these are anomalies and not reliable indicators.

6 minutes ago, LTCB said:

Columbia Central High has suspended summer football workouts through July 5 after a player tested positive for COVID-19 and I learned today that Dresden suspended summer football workouts football because of COVID-19.  I am losing faith that football will occur this fall.  I have my fingers crossed that these are anomalies and not reliable indicators.

This is a non factor currently. The dead period begins Friday, so teams are off until July 6th anyway. It obviously catches attention in the headlines, but doesn’t mean anything. Moving forward, following this long break, we will see what happens when it starts to matter as preseason practices truly begin. It may become an issue, but it may not. We just need leadership that uses common sense more than anything. Hopefully, no overreacting and allowing fear and panic take over.

Sadly, my wife and I have talked it over and I won't be attending any games this season. It is a very painful decision because I have very high hopes for Oak Ridge. This year's Senior class went undefeated as freshmen and the classes since then have been sprinkled with All-State caliber of players and just nasty hard grinding workout warrior Wildcats.

Now, why will I miss the opportunity to see games in person. I am at high risk for several reason : obesity, diabetes, two heart attack with stents, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, liver shunts and diabetes neuropathy.

But there is still a chance to see many of the OR games. A Knoxville TV Station will air two games, an Oak Ridge Sports Hall of Fame member David Clary will show away games and Clary and Coach Gaddis do a weekly TV show. I will get my share of Oak Ridge football.

I hope the season does get played and people are able to watch the games safely in person.

RWR! GRIND!

• Sad 1

Here is what a potential 2020 season could look like with a restricted playoff field

(16 Teams = Top 2 Teams from Each Region):

COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON:  EMERGENCY PLAN

Week 1:  9/11

Week 2:  9/18

Week 3:  9/25

Week 4:  10/2

Week 5:  10/9

Week 6:  10/16

Week 7:  10/23

Week 8:  10/30

Week 9:  11/6

Week 10:  11/13

Week 11:  11/20

First Round:  11/27 (Thanksgiving Weekend)

Quarterfinals:  12/4

Semifinals:  12/11

State Championships:  12/17, 12/18, 12/19

8 minutes ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

Sadly, my wife and I have talked it over and I won't be attending any games this season. It is a very painful decision because I have very high hopes for Oak Ridge. This year's Senior class went undefeated as freshmen and the classes since then have been sprinkled with All-State caliber of players and just nasty hard grinding workout warrior Wildcats.

Now, why will I miss the opportunity to see games in person. I am at high risk for several reason : obesity, diabetes, two heart attack with stents, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, liver shunts and diabetes neuropathy.

But there is still a chance to see many of the OR games. A Knoxville TV Station will air two games, an Oak Ridge Sports Hall of Fame member David Clary will show away games and Clary and Coach Gaddis do a weekly TV show. I will get my share of Oak Ridge football.

I hope the season does get played and people are able to watch the games safely in person.

RWR! GRIND!

Is there any way you can go watch in your vehicle or take a lawn chair? Or even go in and just distance yourself from everyone down near the fence or some other spot away from many people, which most stadiums have? I absolutely understand your concerns, but I feel like you can find a way safely and smartly to watch in person if you wish.

37 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Is there any way you can go watch in your vehicle or take a lawn chair? Or even go in and just distance yourself from everyone down near the fence or some other spot away from many people, which most stadiums have? I absolutely understand your concerns, but I feel like you can find a way safely and smartly to watch in person if you wish.

Everything you said is very reasonable and doable. I guess you all now know who wears the pants in my family LOL. Happy wife....happy life.

RWR! GRIND!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 4:43 PM, sportsguy22 said:

This is a non factor currently. The dead period begins Friday, so teams are off until July 6th anyway. It obviously catches attention in the headlines, but doesn’t mean anything. Moving forward, following this long break, we will see what happens when it starts to matter as preseason practices truly begin. It may become an issue, but it may not. We just need leadership that uses common sense more than anything. Hopefully, no overreacting and allowing fear and panic take over.

Alright 22 let me ask you this.  You are obviously a Summit fan. You have a big game on Friday and one of the twins test positive in your opinion should he play?

• CoachT locked this topic