COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

15 hours ago, District12AA said:

Did you come out of the bunker today to post this??

Football is happening in the fall. Football in the spring is not in best interest of zero parties and will be detrimental to the health of student athletes.

I agree about spring but I see football back big time in 2021 in the fall. This year not so much. They are no way they are going to allow football to happen how things are today. It’s crazy and doctors are not for it. Having everyone social distancing and wearing mask but the 100+ kids on the field it’s okay not to. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, District12AA said:

Did you come out of the bunker today to post this??

Football is happening in the fall. Football in the spring is not in best interest of zero parties and will be detrimental to the health of student athletes.

Personally I think that is just an excuse.  There is zero evidence to prove it hurts players health.  If that was the case then  Get rid of spring practice.    I just think they want to avoid interfering with other sports which I understand, respect and appreciate that.  I also don't think this is a simple solution for anyone involved.  I am praying that we are starting to see the light at the end of the Covid tunnel with the relatively good news on a vaccine

2 hours ago, Djohnson said:

I agree about spring but I see football back big time in 2021 in the fall. This year not so much. They are no way they are going to allow football to happen how things are today. It’s crazy and doctors are not for it. Having everyone social distancing and wearing mask but the 100+ kids on the field it’s okay not to. 

Coaches and players are practicing football with no contact allowed preparing to play August 21 if the governor lifts his ban for contact to begin August 30th and first game Sept. 18th. I personally believe the ban will not be lifted because of media news about covid 19 numbers. So players and coaches are trying to practice a contact game with no contact not knowing if ban will be lifted and regular schedule taking place. How are coaches and kids asked to do this not knowing if first game is in 4 weeks or 8 weeks away and if games are going to be played at all. Players and teams testing positive and having to play with kids not ready to play against a very good team or having a no contest. How is this fair to either teams. I think when it gets down to a decision having to be made the season will be cancelled . I think the decision has already been made just not being being told to the public. This is the ultimate tease and unfair . i suggest the ban be lifted and begin season August 21st. and make decisions accordingly. 

Edited by hardtackle

1 hour ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Personally I think that is just an excuse.  There is zero evidence to prove it hurts players health.  If that was the case then  Get rid of spring practice.    I just think they want to avoid interfering with other sports which I understand, respect and appreciate that.  I also don't think this is a simple solution for anyone involved.  I am praying that we are starting to see the light at the end of the Covid tunnel with the relatively good news on a vaccine

Actually the body needs time to heal from playing football. Playing a season in the spring and then again in the Fall will see increase in injuries for student athletes. There is a reason football is about the only sport you don't see playing year round, it is physically impossible for the body.

The vaccine has nothing to do with this because 50% of people will not take it and honestly that number will probably be lower due to the fast nature in which it was created.

You are going to see football in the fall in the majority of states and those states that choose to play in the spring are putting their student-athletes at a much higher risk of injury in the Fall of 2021, which is why you would see college bound players sit out a spring football season.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Djohnson said:

We need to move football to spring.

I think you have made your point clear. Football won’t be played in spring, IMO. Can’t play in spring and turn around and play in Fall. To short a time period for the body to recuperate. 

2 hours ago, District12AA said:

Actually the body needs time to heal from playing football. Playing a season in the spring and then again in the Fall will see increase in injuries for student athletes. There is a reason football is about the only sport you don't see playing year round, it is physically impossible for the body.

The vaccine has nothing to do with this because 50% of people will not take it and honestly that number will probably be lower due to the fast nature in which it was created.

You are going to see football in the fall in the majority of states and those states that choose to play in the spring are putting their student-athletes at a much higher risk of injury in the Fall of 2021, which is why you would see college bound players sit out a spring football season.

The reason I think the vaccine matters is because it takes away from sue happy people filing suits against schools, counties and states if their kid got Covid.  It is very much a cover your rear world.  

I just don't see that same concern for baseball players throwing 1000s of pitches and destroying their arms or basketball players playing year around destroying their backs and knees.  

Trust me I know football is strenous as well as any.  But not sure there is much difference in body healing from a couple months to 4 months to 7-8 months.  JMO.  

1 hour ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

The reason I think the vaccine matters is because it takes away from sue happy people filing suits against schools, counties and states if their kid got Covid.  It is very much a cover your rear world.  

I just don't see that same concern for baseball players throwing 1000s of pitches and destroying their arms or basketball players playing year around destroying their backs and knees.  

Trust me I know football is strenous as well as any.  But not sure there is much difference in body healing from a couple months to 4 months to 7-8 months.  JMO.  

That why I am a big believer in athletes playing every sport in every season. Enhances and works different set of muscles and skills which have carry over and value .

Edited by hardtackle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

This depends...If a person employee whom may have underlying conditions and or is aged and employer forces an employee to  work in a covid19 environment the employee should have some recourse toward employer. And some employers will do this out of necessities. That is why we have laws that protect the employee. The bottom line for some employers is production.

4 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

This depends...If a person employee whom may have underlying conditions and or is aged and employer forces an employee to  work in a covid19 environment the employee should have some recourse toward employer. And some employers will do this out of necessities. That is why we have laws that protect the employee. The bottom line for some employers is production.

We are going to see this very situation play out in the public school system, even here in Knox County. And unfortunately, the taxpayers will pay the price if something does happen. There are teachers who are considered high risk (due to age, pre-existing conditions, etc) who are being told to teach in person or else. As of now, there is no alternative for those individuals, but that obviously could change. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, osunut2 said:

We are going to see this very situation play out in the public school system, even here in Knox County. And unfortunately, the taxpayers will pay the price if something does happen. There are teachers who are considered high risk (due to age, pre-existing conditions, etc) who are being told to teach in person or else. As of now, there is no alternative for those individuals, but that obviously could change. 

Other than the current state of politics being intertwined with this particular contagious illness, how is that any different from any/every other situation? The job description required attendance in the classroom (administration, custodial, maintenance, coaching, ect... also) with no alternative options last year, and will next year also... there always have been and always will be employees who are more susceptible to contract whatever bug is going around, and at a higher risk of suffering long term or worse consequences from it. If my employer places me in unnecessary/unknown danger through indifference or neglect, I may have a case for what you are saying, but if I decide tomorrow that I no longer wish to accept the risk of performing my duties as I always have, I have the option to resign, and so do the teachers.

• CoachT locked this topic