COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

On 7/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, pioneer42 said:

I think you have made your point clear. Football won’t be played in spring, IMO. Can’t play in spring and turn around and play in Fall. To short a time period for the body to recuperate. 

The powers that be in the Hermitage bunker have already said that football won't be played in the spring because it's too hard on teen bodies to play a spring season and then turn right around a play a fall season.  

Besides that reason, to ask kids to choose between football and spring sports is just not something that the TSSAA needs to do.  It might not affect the larger classifications a whole lot since there are more one sport only kids in the larger schools and the rosters are bigger, but it would decimate sports in the smaller schools where they count on kids playing 2 or 3 sports just to have enough bodies to put teams on the fields.  

If football can't be played in the fall it will be cancelled until fall 2021.  

11 hours ago, HTV said:

The powers that be in the Hermitage bunker have already said that football won't be played in the spring because it's too hard on teen bodies to play a spring season and then turn right around a play a fall season.  

Besides that reason, to ask kids to choose between football and spring sports is just not something that the TSSAA needs to do.  It might not affect the larger classifications a whole lot since there are more one sport only kids in the larger schools and the rosters are bigger, but it would decimate sports in the smaller schools where they count on kids playing 2 or 3 sports just to have enough bodies to put teams on the fields.  

If football can't be played in the fall it will be cancelled until fall 2021.  

True statement! It seems so logical to say it like that, but nowadays logic and common sense are so hard to come by! It’s going to happen in the fall, and obviously can never happen in the spring for tons of reasons.

Edited by sportsguy22

16 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

True statement! It seems to logical to say it like that, but nowadays logic and common sense are so hard to come by! It’s going to happen in the fall, and obviously can never happen in the spring for tons of reasons.

I agree football will be back after the election. Can’t wait for fall 2021!

10 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Other than the current state of politics being intertwined with this particular contagious illness, how is that any different from any/every other situation? The job description required attendance in the classroom (administration, custodial, maintenance, coaching, ect... also) with no alternative options last year, and will next year also... there always have been and always will be employees who are more susceptible to contract whatever bug is going around, and at a higher risk of suffering long term or worse consequences from it. If my employer places me in unnecessary/unknown danger through indifference or neglect, I may have a case for what you are saying, but if I decide tomorrow that I no longer wish to accept the risk of performing my duties as I always have, I have the option to resign, and so do the teachers.

Going to be hard for teachers to sue for having to go to work when like you said they have a choice to resign. If teachers could sue, then you would think Wal-Mart, the electric company, cable company, banks, Lowe’s, restaurants....and could go on and on of companies that could sue their employers. Most employers have a get out of jail handbook. I imagine any infected will be quarantined a while. What is happening at most schools are temperature checks before entering the building. I would bet that will stop a lot of spreading sickness. Will help flu season for sure.

Edited by pioneer42

35 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Going to be hard for teachers to sue for having to go to work when like you said they have a choice to resign. If teachers could sue, then you would think Wal-Mart, the electric company, cable company, banks, Lowe’s, restaurants....and could go on and on of companies that could sue their employers. Most employers have a get out of jail handbook. I imagine any infected will be quarantined a while. What is happening at most schools are temperature checks before entering the building. I would bet that will stop a lot of spreading sickness. Will help flu season for sure.

With the amount of cases that we are seeing local and state. I bet they will delay students going to school. With some teachers not wanting to go back and doctors saying it’s a bad idea. Man it is a worse now than it was in March when they canceled school and spring sports.

20 minutes ago, Djohnson said:

With the amount of cases that we are seeing local and state. I bet they will delay students going to school. With some teachers not wanting to go back and doctors saying it’s a bad idea. Man it is a worse now than it was in March when they canceled school and spring sports.

Gibson County delayed two weeks until August 17th. Keep in mind something that we hadn’t heard mentioned a lot nobody walks in school with a fever. Schools will do temperature checks. This will keep schools healthy, IMO. Hearing “prolonged contact” with the infected is what spreads it. The one statement I do believe the WHO made was that asymptomatic cases are rarely transmitted. She backtracked a little the next day but we are hearing that more and more. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goldenpride said:

The temperature checks should be done more often IMO. Too many kids show up sick to school because the parents don’t want them to be home

If I am a Principal they would be done early and often. I am surprised schools haven’t put this in place to begin with. Flu has been a major problem and like you said it is because kids come to school with fever and sick.

10 hours ago, Djohnson said:

I agree football will be back after the election. Can’t wait for fall 2021!

Coming from the same poster that has been saying over and over to move football to the spring. The ultimate example of the world’s worst troll who bathes in negativity and pessimism, and tries to use fear and panic to stoke the fire of a horribly misinformed biased political ignorant agenda. Reputation completely lost. Move elsewhere.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Coming from the same poster that has been saying over and over to move football to the spring. The ultimate example of the world’s worst troll who bathes in negativity and pessimism, and tries to use fear and panic to stoke the fire of a horribly misinformed biased political ignorant agenda. Reputation completely lost. Move elsewhere.

I just said move to spring in hopes of playing this school year for the seniors. But if you see all the rules and how high school kids are getting the virus. How can you have fans and parents wear a mask social distance no concessions  Limited number of fans. Then say let a group of 100+boys play on Friday nights. Just guessing that it’s 10,0000 + in the whole state playing and spreading it. But you make them stay away from each other during school. But when school is over play on.  It’s crazy to me that if they are social distancing during school they should do it at school functions not let kids from all over different counties play each other. To me that is how you spread it. They are lucky that they even are starting school up. Let’s not do stupid stuff to make them shut schools down because of outbreaks.

Edited by Djohnson

11 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Yep.  I have many friends who are teachers, coaches, administrators, and support staffers through my time in media work with high school sports.  While I do feel for their position, the thing we all have to remember is that the purpose of education is to literally educate our young people.  It's not to provide a retirement plan for system employees.  That's an added benefit for choosing the calling of education, but certainly not a right.  

I'm sure some will take offense at that, but if they do so be it.  Have a feeling that many more will agree with that statement than disagree.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Other than the current state of politics being intertwined with this particular contagious illness, how is that any different from any/every other situation? The job description required attendance in the classroom (administration, custodial, maintenance, coaching, ect... also) with no alternative options last year, and will next year also... there always have been and always will be employees who are more susceptible to contract whatever bug is going around, and at a higher risk of suffering long term or worse consequences from it. If my employer places me in unnecessary/unknown danger through indifference or neglect, I may have a case for what you are saying, but if I decide tomorrow that I no longer wish to accept the risk of performing my duties as I always have, I have the option to resign, and so do the teachers.

I think it's one thing if a 30-something year old "healthy" teacher is being asked to do this, but what about a 60-year old teacher with COPD and diabetes? At this point, the risk associated with COVID is pretty well known for people of a certain age/health. There are a LOT of businesses (mine included) that are looking at their employees on a case-by-case basis, especially when an alternative work location can be provided for "high risk" employees. And with ~30% of the KCS student body opting for online learning only this year, there is absolutely an alternative, if KCS chooses to utilize it.

I see what you are getting at, but considering everything that has happened over the past 4-5 months, how can we possibly classify this just like "any/every other situation?" I just think it is dicey to say that these are "normal" circumstances when there is nothing normal about the various measures we are implementing to mitigate the spread of COVID. This is a right-to-work state, so I get that comes into play. And I do agree that teachers are susceptible to any communicable disease that enters the classroom, so there is natural inherent risk in play for them every single school day. That said, we've not seen our lives altered to this degree by a communicable disease since the spanish flu (maybe the polio epidemic in the 40s/early 50s).

I just don't think this is as cut and dried as you've made it out to be.

• Upvote 1

• CoachT locked this topic