COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

On 6/17/2020 at 7:16 PM, WillieTheWildcats said:

Sadly, my wife and I have talked it over and I won't be attending any games this season. It is a very painful decision because I have very high hopes for Oak Ridge. This year's Senior class went undefeated as freshmen and the classes since then have been sprinkled with All-State caliber of players and just nasty hard grinding workout warrior Wildcats.

Now, why will I miss the opportunity to see games in person. I am at high risk for several reason : obesity, diabetes, two heart attack with stents, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, liver shunts and diabetes neuropathy.

But there is still a chance to see many of the OR games. A Knoxville TV Station will air two games, an Oak Ridge Sports Hall of Fame member David Clary will show away games and Clary and Coach Gaddis do a weekly TV show. I will get my share of Oak Ridge football.

I hope the season does get played and people are able to watch the games safely in person.

RWR! GRIND!

Willie, Nov. of 2018 my lovely bride was was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's at the age of 49. Last year I watched all of Central's games on Diamond Clear Media as I stayed at home with her. There's always a way, find you a corner of the stadium, a mask, a chair, and enjoy your team. There's always a way!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Alright 22 let me ask you this.  You are obviously a Summit fan. You have a big game on Friday and one of the twins test positive in your opinion should he play?

I am not a Summit fan whatsoever. I just didn’t agree with how that all went down and I voiced my opinion about it. As for the question, no, I wouldn’t think so. The kid that tests positive would be held out for 14 days I’m assuming, and they would play without him. That said, teenagers are the least likely to have symptoms and least likely to have any serious effects from it. If symptoms show up, then maybe specific kids can randomly get tested. In some cases, maybe all team members can get tested before the season if the schools choose to do that. We should treat it like the flu...when someone is symptomatic they should stay away from teammates for a while. Everyone else be smart, sanitize, and go about life.

8 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

I am not a Summit fan whatsoever. I just didn’t agree with how that all went down and I voiced my opinion about it. As for the question, no, I wouldn’t think so. The kid that tests positive would be held out for 14 days I’m assuming, and they would play without him. That said, teenagers are the least likely to have symptoms and least likely to have any serious effects from it. If symptoms show up, then maybe specific kids can randomly get tested. In some cases, maybe all team members can get tested before the season if the schools choose to do that. We should treat it like the flu...when someone is symptomatic they should stay away from teammates for a while. Everyone else be smart, sanitize, and go about life.

I stand corrected on your team.  I guess I don't know enough about the virus but from my uunderstanding what if a player on a team with diabetes were to catch it from someone else on the team.   Listen I get it.  I am the most anit government control and over reaction critic than anyone.  But when lives are at stake I just have a hard time justifying football.  

5 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

I stand corrected on your team.  I guess I don't know enough about the virus but from my uunderstanding what if a player on a team with diabetes were to catch it from someone else on the team.   Listen I get it.  I am the most anit government control and over reaction critic than anyone.  But when lives are at stake I just have a hard time justifying football.  

Reason you have a waiver and let the family make the call whether their child plays. All travel baseball and softball are done with waivers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

Willie, Nov. of 2018 my lovely bride was was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's at the age of 49. Last year I watched all of Central's games on Diamond Clear Media as I stayed at home with her. There's always a way, find you a corner of the stadium, a mask, a chair, and enjoy your team. There's always a way!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the ideas on how to watch OR games in person safely.   RWR!  GRIND!

11 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

It’s a personal responsibility issue. If a kid has an at risk condition and the parents think it’s too dangerous, then keep him away from people. Identical to the flu, if a kid is at risk with diabetes he should probably stay away from people if the flu is going around. The thing is we are all at risk every single day of getting any number of infectious diseases. We are even more at risk of getting in a serious car crash and possibly being killed, based on the statistics. Life is a risk in general no matter what you do or where you go, be it health or accidental. It’s just the way it is. Despite all the media coverage and fear in this country, this is not killing people at some high or even semi-high rate. It’s killing largely at risk people just like the flu does every single year at about the same rate, and we have found a way to live with the flu annually.

4 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

It’s a personal responsibility issue. If a kid has an at risk condition and the parents think it’s too dangerous, then keep him away from people. Identical to the flu, if a kid is at risk with diabetes he should probably stay away from people if the flu is going around. The thing is we are all at risk every single day of getting any number of infectious diseases. We are even more at risk of getting in a serious car crash and possibly being killed, based on the statistics. Life is a risk in general no matter what you do or where you go, be it health or accidental. It’s just the way it is. Despite all the media coverage and fear in this country, this is not killing people at some high or even semi-high rate. It’s killing largely at risk people just like the flu does every single year at about the same rate, and we have found a way to live with the flu annually.

I agree with a personal choice. I just see this being a much bigger decision. Individual school systems are going to make the decision for school opening and sports. I see some counties having school and sports as normal and some not. I do hope for schools and sports happening.

• Like 1

TSSAA could be in for a mess by leaving it up to school systems. Players that school's systems decide not to play are going to try and transfer to schools that are getting to play. Also, I know there is a pretty hefty payout if you cannot play a game on your schedule with another team that is allowed to play. Not sure there is a right way to do this at all, going to be interesting to see. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RodgerDodger32 said:

TSSAA could be in for a mess by leaving it up to school systems. Players that school's systems decide not to play are going to try and transfer to schools that are getting to play. Also, I know there is a pretty hefty payout if you cannot play a game on your schedule with another team that is allowed to play. Not sure there is a right way to do this at all, going to be interesting to see. 

They have no choice with Individual school systems. Not their call to make. I can see schools having to cancel games, schools having bye weeks, kids having to stay away for 2 weeks or the whole team. Players testing with high temp on friday and missing game. Could get crazy.

Edited by fb247

On 6/17/2020 at 7:19 AM, Djohnson said:

What is crazy to me is that nothing is fully opened up because Covid-19. Movie theaters is not opening up they don’t know when they will. Cruises is canceled till late summer but will probably get extended Like they been doing. But high schools are going to have games on Friday nights with thousands of fans. I will miss football but if it will save lives then I will survive.

Movie theaters are about to open up, so you are wrong on that. Obviously, you either don't know about the economic impact no football would cause or you simply don't care. For example, if we don't have a football season, everyone who works for the T$$AA will most  likely be out of a job. Most people are more likely to die in a car crash, than die from COVID 19. Should we ban people driving??? That would technically save lives. 

• Like 1

• CoachT locked this topic