Petition to Remove Rebel Mascot at MHS ?

jrlcm

Even though I went to Maryville High I strongly disagree how the school is run versus the day's when I went there. The football program is the only thing I still have a connection to while setting here helplessly watching one generation being poisoned after another.  That's why this country is in the mess it's in and why the cashier at McDonald's freezes in their skin when the bill comes to $10.04 and you hand them $20.04 and the meltdown begins. They don't know how to count thanks to the educated idiots that run these schools. I get so sick and tired going to a game at Maryville and listening to the stadium rules being blasted that I usually arrive 5 minutes before the game to avoid hearing it. They don't want a Rebel Flag there which everyone knows so they hide it in with no flags on poles and no animals. I've been going for fifty years and never thought about bringing my animals with me or ever seen anyone do something that stupid. The name is Red Rebels and how it got shortened to Rebels on all the uniforms is a oversight on the schools behalf and I saw that one coming a few years ago but that has more to do with common sense which is another thing the last few generations are lacking on big time. I'm so sick of watching this country give in one inch at a time until it has became a mile. If they change the name to please the misfits that are giving all the trouble then they know where to stick their season tickets I've bought for many years. There are plenty of options on things to do on Friday Night these days and that's why you see the football stadiums only about a fifth full after the third game of the year everywhere. Not only will this cost Maryville High a King's Ransom to pay and change all of this but lose a lot of the big money people behind the program. The misfits doing all the fussing don't go to the games anyhow and most live out of town. The only way you'll ever see one of them back at a game is to come watch Junior blowing a flute or carrying a flag in the band one day.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 9:04 AM, BroadwayBarberShop said:

The name won't change....yet.

Don't care how many people sign either petition, the money says it can't happen now. 

Potential donor/sponsor withholdings and the cost of removing "the brand" says it ain't the time.

The school board will more than likely make no further statements and hope that it disappears again.

That's just my take tho. 

I think that might be the case BBS.

Plus many of the African American athletes, students and former students have already spoken out in support of the Rebel nickname. They know the history of the nickname and it has no reference to the Confederacy.

If a change is made in the name, not only does that include the scoreboard signage, the turf endzone, the black curtain signage at the end of the football field, the stadium signage, every new uniform in all sports, and school signage, it will also include the  MJHS Rebels and all sports uniforms.

Edited by MarevulBigGal

1 hour ago, MarevulBigGal said:

I think that might be the case BBS.

Plus many of the African American athletes, students and former students have already spoken out in support of the Rebel nickname. They know the history of the nickname and it has no reference to the Confederacy.

If a change is made in the name, not only does that include the scoreboard signage, the turf endzone, the black curtain signage at the end of the football field, the stadium signage, every new uniform in all sports, and school signage, it will also include the  MJHS Rebels and all sports uniforms.

I seen on Twitter a day or two ago Davon Kimble had tweeted (I'm paraphrasing) that he was never offended representing the maryville rebels, he understood the name came from a rebellion against the tssaa, had he been offended he and his brother would have went to Alcoa. While he was a student at maryville he was well loved and respected by his teachers, peers and coaches, along with a great education. Changing the name would eradicate every accomplishment they have received. He stands by the name. Aj Davis, T.D Blackmon and Tee Hodge have all retweeted DK post in support. Maryville faithful you guys have the support from blacks saying yall are family, there's nothing that can break that bond. So like some have already eluded this is going to be a non issue that maybe got some steam at first but will eventually fade.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 2:34 PM, WillieTheWildcats said:

I actually thought Maryville had already gone though these issues around symbols and things were settled. As far as I am concerned the issue is dead and we should just watch the kids play.

BLM! RWR! GRIND!

“We should just watch the kids play”.....I agree 100%.  Changing Rebels to some other name will have no bearing on the field Of play but tons of positive karma off the field.  I’m glad you agree changing the name will not change how you cheer for the kids.  

8 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

.......  That's why this country is in the mess it's in and why the cashier at McDonald's freezes in their skin when the bill comes to $10.04 and you hand them $20.04 and the meltdown begins.......

Thanks man, I just spit coffee all over the keyboard.     I do this intentionally sometimes just to watch the reaction for the entertainment value, but really it is a sad state of affairs.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Thanks man, I just spit coffee all over the keyboard.     I do this intentionally sometimes just to watch the reaction for the entertainment value, but really it is a sad state of affairs.....

I said the meltdown begins....That's when the chit show unravels then they hand you back $9.96 and four more penny's back in the other hand and ask if they got that right while they hand you the order from the car that was in front of you that got tired of waiting and left. Any of this sound familiar. Well that's the type of people we're turning out now days from our great educational systems that has ruined at least two generations because no one was asking questions and putting their foot in a few of the so called leaders azzes. Thank goodness I didn't have any kids or I would have been up at that school punting people's butts farther than Ray Guy could kick a football.

Edited by BarneySox2007