COVID-19 basketball proposal

dmm88

Let's say hypothetically that football gets moved to spring AND/OR kids are able to go back to school in early September.

-Bump up first practice date to Oct 1st

-Let schools scrimmage OR do play days after Oct 9th with NO fans in attendance.

-Jamborees Oct 17th

-Start HOF games on Oct 19th, Season would start Oct 23rd (NO holiday tourneys this year)

NO district tournaments. Top 4 district winners will go to region. And go from there.  I absolutely want to see a basketball season, even if that means checking temps, taping off sections of gyms. 

Edited by dmm88
Missed words
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, dmm88 said:

Let's say hypothetically that football gets moved to spring AND/OR kids are able to go back to school in early September.

-Bump up first practice date to Oct 1st

-Let schools scrimmage OR do play days after Oct 9th with NO fans in attendance.

-Jamborees Oct 17th

-Start HOF games on Oct 19th, Season would start Oct 23rd (NO holiday tourneys this year)

NO district tournaments. Top 4 district winners will go to region. And go from there.  I absolutely want to see a basketball season, even if that means checking temps, taping off sections of gyms. 

If football goes to spring then we have a mess..baseball will play until late October then football coaches will want their kids to be lifting and practicing instead of hoops. Would not be good. Best case is to shorten football to 8 games, skip by week and take top 2 in each region for playoffs. Do the same in hoops. Take schedule down to 18 games including district games. District tourney take top 2 not top 4 and be done in February. But who knows the powers that are in control will panic at the first sign of a flu symptom. Crazy how more kids pass away in car crashes every year but we don’t keep them from driving at 16.  I am like you I just wanna see high school sports. It’s good for the kids. Fans should be there just have every fan sign a waiver list when they purchase their ticket and check em at the door

Football is not moving to Spring.  If football plays it will be in the Fall with the earliest games being played third week of September.  Just wonder how this might effect the starting dates for basketball.  Games used to start Monday of Thanksgiving week and full season was still played ending around same time.  So a one or two week delay would be no big problem.  Also would give a little extra practice time which I feel coaches all need anyways.  This said, Anything that is decided by TSSAA is subject to change at anytime with this mess still going around.

Have no basketball tournaments till end of season. 20 game schedule. 2 each team in district and remaining games in same region etal bradley plays each district opponent 2 times 14 games then 2 each with say rhea stone and white county. Let district regular season winner host the district tournament (play for something during the season). District tourney winner hosts region tournament. Keep sweet 16 and state tourney format the same except have boys and girls in same week

Football going to the spring wouldn't be such a bad idea... it makes more sense in more ways than just the COVID-19 pandemic.  The only down side is that some football coaches would want the footballers to be lifting during baseball and basketball seasons... I'm sure they will work with the basketball coaches; I mean, basketball and baseball coaches have always had to work with them to share athletes... so they will return the favor...

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 10:06 PM, threeball said:

Football going to the spring wouldn't be such a bad idea... it makes more sense in more ways than just the COVID-19 pandemic.  The only down side is that some football coaches would want the footballers to be lifting during baseball and basketball seasons... I'm sure they will work with the basketball coaches; I mean, basketball and baseball coaches have always had to work with them to share athletes... so they will return the favor...

That last sentence is laughable.

• Like 1