The TSSAA Board of Control Decided NOTHING Today

The Options Are:

7 Game Season; 32 Team Playoff (this is what the TSSAA prefers for $$$ reasons)

8 Game Season; 16 Team Playoff

9 Game Season; 8 Team Playoff

10 Game Season; No Playoffs

Re-Classification was tabled until a later date.  They couldn't decide whether to just use the numbers from February or to use the jacked up numbers from this upcoming fall that will be insanely inaccurate.  The argument made against using February's numbers was that it impacts "new schools" that are opening in the fall (i.e. Green Hill High School in Wilson County and the kids that it will take away from other schools in the county).  

There never was a plan to decide today.  It was the first time they have met to discuss either issue.  

From what I have seen the plan on when to start the season and under what format is July 8.  

Not sure on classification at this point, but I think this season is a little more important right now.  I criticize the boys in the Hermitage bunker when warranted, but I don't see anything wrong with their being given a week so figure out what is going to happen this fall.  

2 minutes ago, HTV said:

There never was a plan to decide today.  It was the first time they have met to discuss either issue.  

From what I have seen the plan on when to start the season and under what format is July 8.  

Not sure on classification at this point, but I think this season is a little more important right now.  I criticize the boys in the Hermitage bunker when warranted, but I don't see anything wrong with their being given a week so figure out what is going to happen this fall.  

I agree with this season.  However if you are making six figures then you should be able to work on multiple issues

Of the plans that I have read about and mentioned by howdoitknow,  I think the 8 game season with a 16 team playoff is the best.  You would probably have great games when you match 1 v 2 from the regions and those gates, barring bad weather, could potentially make up for blow out games that wouldn't be well attended.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why they are not willing to extend the championships by a week or two?  There is time to finish when many states do, on the second or third Saturday in December. If TTU can’t host for some reason, move it elsewhere for a year. You could still play 8 games and have full playoffs or even 9 games and full playoffs. Not sure why this is not considered. It’s a year to think outside the box more.

2 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

Does anyone know why they are not willing to extend the championships by a week or two?  There is time to finish when many states do, on the second or third Saturday in December. If TTU can’t host for some reason, move it elsewhere for a year. You could still play 8 games and have full playoffs or even 9 games and full playoffs. Not sure why this is not considered. It’s a year to think outside the box more.

So have you sat in Tucker Stadium the first week of December?  You want to go two weeks deeper in to the month weather wise?  

Plus so many schools, especially the lower classification schools, rely on multiple sport kids just to field teams.  Go two weeks deeper in to the season and it seriously penalizes basketball coaches and teams.  It would make a tough situation in scheduling early season basketball tourneys and games a complete nightmare, and that's just not fair to anybody involved. 

Yeah, this is a football board and we all love football, but those kids deserve the opportunity to play multiple sports if they wish.  

The 8 game plus two extra if a team doesn't make the playoffs gives teams a full schedule.  And it might create some really interesting games between teams that don't normally play each other during those last two weeks.  

2 hours ago, HTV said:

So have you sat in Tucker Stadium the first week of December?  You want to go two weeks deeper in to the month weather wise?  

Plus so many schools, especially the lower classification schools, rely on multiple sport kids just to field teams.  Go two weeks deeper in to the season and it seriously penalizes basketball coaches and teams.  It would make a tough situation in scheduling early season basketball tourneys and games a complete nightmare, and that's just not fair to anybody involved. 

Yeah, this is a football board and we all love football, but those kids deserve the opportunity to play multiple sports if they wish.  

The 8 game plus two extra if a team doesn't make the playoffs gives teams a full schedule.  And it might create some really interesting games between teams that don't normally play each other during those last two weeks.  

I’m not against the 8-game plan at all. Just wondering why, for one really weird season, they can’t delay the championships by a week or two. The weather is not going to get any worse in that span. It’s a mixed bag during that time of year regardless, sometimes mild and sometimes cold! Last Christmas Day it was warm and we all were in short sleeves. As for the other sports, I get it but this is one random weird year with chaos. Maybe basketball should wait and start later anyway. Plus, everyone assumes there will be a big wave of this virus by then so basketball may be on the chopping block if you believe the negativity and second wave panic. It’s just seems reasonable, for one strange season, to move it back if need be. It’s not the end of the world either way and I don’t care what they decide. Just wondering why it’s not part of the options. There is still time to finish before Christmas where they could delay if need be.

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

I’m not against the 8-game plan at all. Just wondering why, for one really weird season, they can’t delay the championships by a week or two. The weather is not going to get any worse in that span. It’s a mixed bag during that time of year regardless, sometimes mild and sometimes cold! Last Christmas Day it was warm and we all were in short sleeves. As for the other sports, I get it but this is one random weird year with chaos. Maybe basketball should wait and start later anyway. Plus, everyone assumes there will be a big wave of this virus by then so basketball may be on the chopping block if you believe the negativity and second wave panic. It’s just seems reasonable, for one strange season, to move it back if need be. It’s not the end of the world either way and I don’t care what they decide. Just wondering why it’s not part of the options. There is still time to finish before Christmas where they could delay if need be.

Access and available staff at Tucker Stadium or any other stadium on a college campus is also a factor, too.  Most of the state universities close up the week after the BCB is played.  

With everything that was discussed yesterday by the Board of Control this is the schedule that teams are looking at as of next week:

7/6 through 7/11 = Summer Workouts & Conditioning

7/13 through 7/18 = Summer Workouts & Conditioning

7/20 through 7/25 = Summer Workouts & Conditioning

7/27 through 8/1 = Summer Workouts & Conditioning

8/3 through 8/8 = Summer Workouts & Conditioning

8/10 through 8/15 = Workouts & Conditioning (after school)

8/17 through 8/22 = Workouts & Conditioning (after school)

8/24 through 8/29 = Workouts & Conditioning (after school)

8/31 through 9/5 = Preseason Week 1 in Pads

9/7 through 9/12 = Preseason Week 2 in Pads (if teams still choose to play Jamborees it will be on this week)

9/18 = Week 1

9/25 = Week 2

10/2 = Week 3

10/9 = Week 4

10/16 = Week 5

10/23 = Week 6

10/30 = Week 7

11/6 = Week 8 or Round 1

11/13 = Week 9, Round 1, or Round 2

11/20 = Quarterfinals

11/27 = Semifinals

12/3, 12/4, 12/5 = State Championship Games

Here's my big question over all of this mess.  The Weeks of 12/11-12/12 and 12/18-12/19 are also available for the TSSAA to use to get their fall sports seasons completed prior to the Christmas Holiday Break.  Why do they elect to not use those weeks?  Colleges do graduation in the fall semester the weekend of 12/11-12/12 if school is in session.  That means that the 12/18-12/19 weekend would have no bearing on Tennessee Tech.  If so then just move the State Championships to another venue such as Middle Tennessee State, Austin Peay, or Vanderbilt.  All of those locations would be great options for the TSSAA to look at using anyway.  

If the TSSAA Board of Control would simply do that then they could play a 9 week regular season + play a full 5 week playoff bracket and there wouldn't be anything to vote on right now.  It would be a done deal and everyone would be happy with what takes place.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HTV said:

Access and available staff at Tucker Stadium or any other stadium on a college campus is also a factor, too.  Most of the state universities close up the week after the BCB is played.  

You could play at the home site of a team involved by coin flip on the Saturday after the 1st rounds on 2nd rounds of the playoffs just like they used to do.  Having sat in a championship game during the ice bowl of 89’, doubt it could get worse weather wise.  You do not have to play at Tucker this year.