The TSSAA Board of Control Decided NOTHING Today

9 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

With everything that was discussed yesterday by the Board of Control this is the schedule that teams are looking at as of next week:

7/6 through 7/11 = Summer Workouts & Conditioning

7/13 through 7/18 = Summer Workouts & Conditioning

7/20 through 7/25 = Summer Workouts & Conditioning

7/27 through 8/1 = Summer Workouts & Conditioning

8/3 through 8/8 = Summer Workouts & Conditioning

8/10 through 8/15 = Workouts & Conditioning (after school)

8/17 through 8/22 = Workouts & Conditioning (after school)

8/24 through 8/29 = Workouts & Conditioning (after school)

8/31 through 9/5 = Preseason Week 1 in Pads

9/7 through 9/12 = Preseason Week 2 in Pads (if teams still choose to play Jamborees it will be on this week)

9/18 = Week 1

9/25 = Week 2

10/2 = Week 3

10/9 = Week 4

10/16 = Week 5

10/23 = Week 6

10/30 = Week 7

11/6 = Week 8 or Round 1

11/13 = Week 9, Round 1, or Round 2

11/20 = Quarterfinals

11/27 = Semifinals

12/3, 12/4, 12/5 = State Championship Games

Here's my big question over all of this mess.  The Weeks of 12/11-12/12 and 12/18-12/19 are also available for the TSSAA to use to get their fall sports seasons completed prior to the Christmas Holiday Break.  Why do they elect to not use those weeks?  Colleges do graduation in the fall semester the weekend of 12/11-12/12 if school is in session.  That means that the 12/18-12/19 weekend would have no bearing on Tennessee Tech.  If so then just move the State Championships to another venue such as Middle Tennessee State, Austin Peay, or Vanderbilt.  All of those locations would be great options for the TSSAA to look at using anyway.  

If the TSSAA Board of Control would simply do that then they could play a 9 week regular season + play a full 5 week playoff bracket and there wouldn't be anything to vote on right now.  It would be a done deal and everyone would be happy with what takes place.  

Precisely 

As I have stated before, Georgia starts or last year started the exact same weekend we did and they ended 1 week later than Tennessee because they have 2 open dates.  Not exactly sure but Texas plays their state championship game 2 weeks after Tennessee.  They have more classes including 6 or 8 man football and I'm sure they still play basketball and wrestle in those two states.

Tennessee, without COVID-19 rearing its ugly head this year, could have played game 1 on September 4th and finished on December 17, 18, 19.  Yes weather is cold in December and could snow, 'Boro in 2000 or so, but that is not an every year occurrence for snow during BCB weekend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheppy said:

As I have stated before, Georgia starts or last year started the exact same weekend we did and they ended 1 week later than Tennessee because they have 2 open dates.  Not exactly sure but Texas plays their state championship game 2 weeks after Tennessee.  They have more classes including 6 or 8 man football and I'm sure they still play basketball and wrestle in those two states.

Tennessee, without COVID-19 rearing its ugly head this year, could have played game 1 on September 4th and finished on December 17, 18, 19.  Yes weather is cold in December and could snow, 'Boro in 2000 or so, but that is not an every year occurrence for snow during BCB weekend.

Texas plays their state championships in indoor facilities, so weather is not a problem, and even if it were the climate is still generally very nice through December in most of the state.  

20 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Precisely 

You will not have games the week of Dec18-19 because that is  exam week for most if not all of the state. Most systems actually think that time is more important than sports. Remember the Board of Control is  made up of principals from  across the state whose jobs are tied to test scores.

Edited by MichaelMyers76

On 7/3/2020 at 9:58 AM, HTV said:

Texas plays their state championships in indoor facilities, so weather is not a problem, and even if it were the climate is still generally very nice through December in most of the state.  

23 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

You will not have games the week of Dec18-19 because that is  exam week for most if not all of the state. Most systems actually think that time is more important than sports. Remember the Board of Control is  made up of principals from  across the state whose jobs are tied to test scores.

HTV, don't they still play the games at Cowboys Stadium.  I don't think they close the stadium unless snow or snow, but I could be wrong.  I have been there on a cold day and the roof was not closed but that was a few years ago.

I'm hearing many schools are looking at ending in-person classes at Thanksgiving and taking finals on line.  My guess is that Texas principals don't have their jobs tied to test scores OR THEY HAVE EXAMS AFTER CHRISTMAS.

2 hours ago, sheppy said:

HTV, don't they still play the games at Cowboys Stadium.  I don't think they close the stadium unless snow or snow, but I could be wrong.  I have been there on a cold day and the roof was not closed but that was a few years ago.

I'm hearing many schools are looking at ending in-person classes at Thanksgiving and taking finals on line.  My guess is that Texas principals don't have their jobs tied to test scores OR THEY HAVE EXAMS AFTER CHRISTMAS.

Yes. They play at Jerry's World, which is a retractable roof stadium. 4 years ago when I was there the roof was closed during a couple of the games because of thunderstorms,  but opened during the other games.  

Edited by HTV