Greenfield's Willie Trevathan headed to UTM Women

NWhoopaholic

Coach Trevathan will replace the legendary David Russell on Kevin McMillan's bench. Coach Russell is retiring. Willie Trevathan and Kevin McMillan have been good friends for many years. Should be a seamless transition. Who might be interested in the Lady Jackets?

https://www.thunderboltradio.com/willie-trevathan-accepts-assistant-coaching-position-with-ut-martin-womens-basketball/

20 minutes ago, Richmond30 said:

How good is the Greenfield job? They have the younger Darby. Anything else?

Greenfield will be competitive this year with Biggs and Crouse and Edie. Think after this year their talent level drops until Chloe’s two sisters get there. Willie knows his stock won’t get any higher than it is now.

7 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Might get a lot of heat for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyway. But it's sad to basically come out and say that Chloe and Tess got him that job.

Maybe I’m not reading it clear but let me be sure before I comment further. You, yourself, think that Chloe and Tess make him appear to be a better coach than he actually is?

11 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Might get a lot of heat for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyway. But it's sad to basically come out and say that Chloe and Tess got him that job.

As i said earlier, Kevin McMillan & Willie Trevathan have been good friends since early in Willie's career. I ASSURE you Chloe and Tess did NOT get him this job. Anyone that thinks so is an outsider speculating. It also has nothing to do with "his stock." Kevin McMillan knows a little about coaching basketball and who to surround himself with.

4 minutes ago, NWhoopaholic said:

As i said earlier, Kevin McMillan & Willie Trevathan have been good friends since early in Willie's career. I ASSURE you Chloe and Tess did NOT get him this job. Anyone that thinks so is an outsider speculating. It also has nothing to do with "his stock." Kevin McMillan knows a little about coaching basketball and who to surround himself with.

I personally think Willie is a good coach and Kevin knows his basketball for sure. Just saying In making his decision to coach with Kevin he knows that doing what he has done the last four years will be a lot tougher with the talent pool that has left.

18 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I personally think Willie is a good coach and Kevin knows his basketball for sure. Just saying In making his decision to coach with Kevin he knows that doing what he has done the last four years will be a lot tougher with the talent pool that has left.

Timing coincided with David Russell's decision to retire. Think Willie would've been Kevin's top choice whenever it opened. He will fit in well working with & replacing former Gibson Co. state championship coaches.

4 minutes ago, NWhoopaholic said:

Timing coincided with David Russell's decision to retire. Think Willie would've been Kevin's top choice whenever it opened. He will fit in well working with & replacing former Gibson Co. state championship coaches.

No doubt. He is a good coach and yes Greenfield has the great talent but he did a great job coaching them. You don’t go undefeated and have no letdowns without being well coached. Greenfield will get a good coach for sure. Be lots of good coaches apply I am sure. Be interesting who will apply for the job. 

57 minutes ago, NWhoopaholic said:

It's okay, you can chill just a little bit with the two words that were in all caps. It's okay if Kevin hired one of his buddies! But how many times did Greenfield make it to Murfreesboro before Chloe and Tess? And if so, what year(s) was that in? I'm not saying that Willie isn't a "good or great coach" but I am saying that he had the luxury of having arguably the best "duo" in state history when it comes to Mrs. Basketball finalist/awards, P/A/R numbers, and wins. He didn't have to actually "coach" on occasional nights when Chloe and Tess played. It's not a knock on Willie, and I didn't mean to cause any harm to him specifically. But his stock is at an all-time high, no one can't deny that. If Greenfield host a sub-state game in March of 2021, then he is a great coach, there's no doubt. Unfortunately, I won't get to experience that. It's okay to disagree.

51 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

It's okay, you can chill just a little bit with the two words that were in all caps. It's okay if Kevin hired one of his buddies! But how many times did Greenfield make it to Murfreesboro before Chloe and Tess? And if so, what year(s) was that in? I'm not saying that Willie isn't a "good or great coach" but I am saying that he had the luxury of having arguably the best "duo" in state history when it comes to Mrs. Basketball finalist/awards, P/A/R numbers, and wins. He didn't have to actually "coach" on occasional nights when Chloe and Tess played. It's not a knock on Willie, and I didn't mean to cause any harm to him specifically. But his stock is at an all-time high, no one can't deny that. If Greenfield host a sub-state game in March of 2021, then he is a great coach, there's no doubt. Unfortunately, I won't get to experience that. It's okay to disagree.

Willie has coached 5 total tournament teams. 2004 as the boys coach while also coaching the girls in his first year as a head coach, 2006, 2018, 2019, and 2020 with the girls. 
While yes he had the luxury, he won before he had those two girls. Before he got the job in 2004, Greenfield girls were average at best for a long time. Along with Coach Tori Liggett who was the junior high coach for a a number of years, they made Greenfield girls basketball relevant.

3 minutes ago, jvaughan said:

Willie has coached 5 total tournament teams. 2004 as the boys coach while also coaching the girls in his first year as a head coach, 2006, 2018, 2019, and 2020 with the girls. 
While yes he had the luxury, he won before he had those two girls. Before he got the job in 2004, Greenfield girls were average at best for a long time. Along with Coach Tori Liggett who was the junior high coach for a a number of years, they made Greenfield girls basketball relevant.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.