2020 Betsy Cyclones

JMorton

On 7/26/2020 at 5:40 PM, GangTackle said:

State champions.

15-0.

They would win 4A or 5A this year. 

Only obstacle they are gonna have is Greeneville twice. 

Haywood, Hardin, or Springfield will be in Cookeville. Dont see any of those 3 beating the Cyclones. 

Anderson Co. & Greeneville are really the only 2 football teams from Class 4A that can beat Betsy in my opinion. The Cyclones should be repeat state champs though. They have an offense with a star QB & their defense will be good again a well. I really don't think any team will play them a close game except for Greeneville in the regular season. I wouldn't want to face Anderson County though. They are more capable of pulling off the upset than all other Class 4A teams other than Greeneville.

22 hours ago, GangTackle said:

Greeneville gave Powell all they wanted and could of easily beat them last year and was one of the best 5A teams. Elizabethton beat Greeneville twice. 5A isn't tough to win. 

Neither is 4A, but Powell wasn't the best 5A team now were they. That being said, all of the former 4A Northeast TN teams were happy as heck when we moved up and scared to death that Alcoa will move up (which they should) and take that classification too.

19 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

Never beat Maryville, do you remember that?

That could be posted when talking about a lot of teams around the state.Maryville has beaten more teams then anyone in Tennessee . Not saying it's a  great accomplishment but Greeneville does atleast have a tie against the Rebs if you go far enough back.

5 hours ago, GangTackle said:

Very true! Elizabethton has some work to do to replace the defensive line and a couple other spots on D. Offensive line should he dominate

Also,Elizabethton  has come along with their strength and conditioning program.That's something that helped them when most teams have been worn out in the second half against the Devils over the last few years.

Edited by BatmanLives

1 hour ago, BatmanLives said:

Also,Elizabethton  has come along with their strength and conditioning program.That's something that helped them when most teams have been worn out in the second half against the Devils over the last few years.

Finally utilizing the weight room definitely helped. Also, very few play both sides of the ball so that helps keep everyone fresh. 

On 7/27/2020 at 11:11 AM, JSamson7 said:

I could name about 4 schools in Knoxville 5A that would beat Elizabethton on an annual basis. They will never beat Alcoa, the funny part is Elizabethton finally wins a gold ball and now they're taking all comers???

Please name those 4 schools then?  It's football and anything can happen.  Knox Central was beaten by Gibbs last year and also South Doyle (Who lost to AC) and ended up winning 5a.  Never is very strong word since Elizabethton was the last Public school to even give Alcoa a game in the play offs losing by 3 at Alcoa.  Other Public schools have beaten Alcoa in the past besides Maryville (Few and Far between I know but never say never) 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Please name those 4 schools then?  It's football and anything can happen.  Knox Central was beaten by Gibbs last year and also South Doyle (Who lost to AC) and ended up winning 5a.  Never is very strong word since Elizabethton was the last Public school to even give Alcoa a game in the play offs losing by 3 at Alcoa.  Other Public schools have beaten Alcoa in the past besides Maryville (Few and Far between I know but never say never) 

Anywhere east of Knoxville has never gotten any respect. To them the state ends there. And then if you catch them on something they always resort to throwing maryvilles name out there. There is no denying how great maryville and Alcoa have been. But neither of those happen to be in 5A. 

29 minutes ago, JMorton said:

Anywhere east of Knoxville has never gotten any respect. To them the state ends there. And then if you catch them on something they always resort to throwing maryvilles name out there. There is no denying how great maryville and Alcoa have been. But neither of those happen to be in 5A. 

I get it and to be honest until recently (Last 10 years)  NE TN hasn't earned that respect in Football.  You have seen teams like Greeneville and Betsy implement things that have been done in Blount and Knox County for decades now (Mandatory work outs,  getting feeder programs in line with the high school program, running the same plays since you started playing football, investing money into their programs, etc.). I don't think any one is claiming Greeneville or Betsy are on the same level as Alcoa and Maryville, has the gap closed compared to previous years? Yes but once you stop working and learning thats when you see teams regress

Edited by Swipes
  • Like 1