Reclassify from 2021 to 2022

skydwg77

My son is a rising senior in Shelby County and plays on one of the top teams in the state in 6A. He unfortunately missed his junior season due to injury. It is critical for him to get game film at some point this year but it’s not looking good. He already has a couple of D1 offers but I think things could really take off if he can get to play this year.

My question is, does Anyone here know anything about reclassifying in the state of Tennessee? I tried to contact TSSAA About the subject but I’m not getting any response...I get it, I know they have bigger fish to fry right now. I’ve Seen a couple of kids across the state saying they were going to reclassify to the 2022 class and I know of at least one school in North Carolina that does it regularly. I have no idea where to even get started. ANY help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

55 minutes ago, skydwg77 said:

My son is a rising senior in Shelby County and plays on one of the top teams in the state in 6A. He unfortunately missed his junior season due to injury. It is critical for him to get game film at some point this year but it’s not looking good. He already has a couple of D1 offers but I think things could really take off if he can get to play this year.

My question is, does Anyone here know anything about reclassifying in the state of Tennessee? I tried to contact TSSAA About the subject but I’m not getting any response...I get it, I know they have bigger fish to fry right now. I’ve Seen a couple of kids across the state saying they were going to reclassify to the 2022 class and I know of at least one school in North Carolina that does it regularly. I have no idea where to even get started. ANY help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Even if you reclassify to the 2022 class, where is he going to play ball to get reps in 2021?? I don’t know of any HS’s getting an extra year of eligibility to play ball. I know TSSAA has been working from home most of the summer. I have a cell number to someone at TSSAA that I can give you that might help, but I won’t give it out on the board. Call me at 731-343-5660. These are the type situations I have talked about where not playing football is getting into parents pocketbooks by kids not getting all their scholarship opportunities.

Don't waste your time. The TSSAA rules are very specific on eligibility. Once an student begins the 9th grade they have 8 consecutive semesters of eligibility. That's not going to change. There is no redshirting in high school. 6th and 7th grade holdback by parents?  It happens, but not in high school. 

Could you not go to a private school and reclassify. I kid from Dobyns Bennett transferred to Christ School in NC and reclassified. Jacob Hood reclassified from 21 to 22. From what I read on Volnation since he didn’t play his freshman year that’s why he was able to reclassify.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jacob-Hood-46101757/

Edited by Appvol

1 hour ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Cannot do it  in Tennessee unless you go to a prep school

And prep school isn't actually reclassifying. There is a "postgraduate" year of prep school that isn't either high school or college. It's a "purgatory" year that gives a kid opportunity to either work on standardized test scores or be seen, whiever they need. 

Thanks all for the responses. I kind of figured this would be the case. Ive heard about Christ School in NC. Actually considered it for a little bit but it’s almost 50 grand a year....Plus about eight hours away from where I’m at right now. Wow so if you don’t play one of your varsity years you can reclassify  like the Jacob Hood deal. My son played one quarter of the First game before the season ending injury. Sounds like he was very close to qualifying if he missed the entire year. Thanks again y’all