Shelby County Schools postpone football until after Labor Day

kwc

Shelby County Schools teams will not be allowed to have contact in practice until at least after Labor Day, according to a tweet from Superintendent Joris Ray.

That means that SCS teams would begin the season on Sept. 18 in Week 5, at the earliest.

"We share the commitment of Governor Bill Lee and Commissioner Penny Schwinn to prioritize safety in our communities," Ray wrote. "As announced last week, Shelby County Schools will start the school year fully virtual on August 31 and will continue athletic conditioning without changes. The alarming daily increases in COVID-19 cases in Memphis and Shelby County create a narrative that is different from many areas across the state. SCS will continue to monitor public health conditions and reconvene discussions after Labor Day."

The guidelines, which will remain in place until SCS changes them, call for conditioning only in practices with social distancing. Teams are also not allowed to use their weight rooms.

TSSAA rules stipulate that football players must have 10 days of practice in pads before they can play a game.

The decision, which comes a day after Whitehaven announced it would not play a game until Sept. 18, means that the two largest school systems in the state, Shelby County Schools and Metro Nashville Public Schools, will not be playing football games until September, despite Gov. Lee's executive order No. 55 allowing the prep football season to begin on Aug. 21.

Edited by kwc

9 hours ago, pigskinred said:

What bothers me is talking about the alarming daily increases when the positivity rate had dropped to 6.6% over the past few days.

Agree! Way too much emotion going on with these decision makers. Settle down and understand the facts and actual risks (or lack there of). A bunch of sheep in the pasture just blindly following along and using zero common sense in making decisions. It's happening all over the country with bad leadership in powerful positions. Sad.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pigskinred said:

What bothers me is talking about the alarming daily increases when the positivity rate had dropped to 6.6% over the past few days.

I'm thinking a lot of the people who have to make these calls, just simply are going by the numbers of positive cases every day and not by the percentage of those test that were negative.Correct me on this if I'm wrong.If you do say a 1000 test and 100 people have it, that's a  10% positive rate. If you do 10000 test and 660 people have it, that's a 6.6% rate. 

Edited by BatmanLives

On 8/5/2020 at 9:34 AM, BatmanLives said:

I'm thinking a lot of the people who have to make these calls, just simply are going by the numbers of positive cases every day and not by the percentage of those test that were negative.Correct me on this if I'm wrong.If you do say a 1000 test and 100 people have it, that's a  10% positive rate. If you do 10000 test and 660 people have it, that's a 6.6% rate. 

You are correct! Plus the fact that some of the big numbers are from multiple days due to backlog.

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2020 at 10:42 PM, kwc said:

Shelby County Schools teams will not be allowed to have contact in practice until at least after Labor Day, according to a tweet from Superintendent Joris Ray.

That means that SCS teams would begin the season on Sept. 18 in Week 5, at the earliest.

"We share the commitment of Governor Bill Lee and Commissioner Penny Schwinn to prioritize safety in our communities," Ray wrote. "As announced last week, Shelby County Schools will start the school year fully virtual on August 31 and will continue athletic conditioning without changes. The alarming daily increases in COVID-19 cases in Memphis and Shelby County create a narrative that is different from many areas across the state. SCS will continue to monitor public health conditions and reconvene discussions after Labor Day."

The guidelines, which will remain in place until SCS changes them, call for conditioning only in practices with social distancing. Teams are also not allowed to use their weight rooms.

TSSAA rules stipulate that football players must have 10 days of practice in pads before they can play a game.

The decision, which comes a day after Whitehaven announced it would not play a game until Sept. 18, means that the two largest school systems in the state, Shelby County Schools and Metro Nashville Public Schools, will not be playing football games until September, despite Gov. Lee's executive order No. 55 allowing the prep football season to begin on Aug. 21.

I kinda felt that you guys would follow metro. At least you guys wasn’t side swapped like we was by the health department and mayor. Hopefully they approve this Proposal where we can start contact practices Aug 18th and only miss 2 to 3 games

10 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

I kinda felt that you guys would follow metro. At least you guys wasn’t side swapped like we was by the health department and mayor. Hopefully they approve this Proposal where we can start contact practices Aug 18th and only miss 2 to 3 games

You know we will all see when the games are played. Will break outs occur? If so, how will it be handled? Personally, I'm keeping my eye on MLB

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2020 at 2:18 PM, reddyrebel6 said:

The Memphis schools that can play now want to pick and choose who they play. Calling out Collierville, Arlington, Bartlett by name... play someone big boys. Don't be scared!

Collierville Schedule            

Date                        Opponent
 Fri    Aug. 21         Briarcrest Christian
 Fri    Aug. 28         Milan
 Fri    Sep. 4           Memphis Central
 Fri    Sep. 18         at White Station
 Fri    Sep. 25         Evangelical Christian
 Fri    Oct. 2          Cordova R
 Fri    Oct. 9          at Houston R
 Fri    Oct. 23         Arlington R
 Fri    Oct. 30         at Bartlett R

Collierville's schedule per Coacht. I don't see a out-of-region cupcake on there.

Every Memphis area high school football team ranked from 1-63

Khari Thompson
Memphis Commercial Appeal

Who will be the best high school football team in the Memphis area this year?

High school sports reporter Khari Thompson predicts where each team in the area will fall from No. 1 to No. 63. 

And check back at the end of the season for an updated list based on how the teams actually finished. 

1. ECS (DII-AA)

2. Houston (Class 6A)

3. MUS (DII-AAA)

4. Whitehaven (Class 6A)

5. Olive Branch (MHSAA Class 6A)

6. Christian Brothers (DII-AAA) 

7. White Station (Class 6A) 

8. Bartlett (Class 6A) 

9. Briarcrest (DII-AA)

10. Lausanne (DII-AA)

11. Kirby (Class 5A)

12. Horn Lake (MHSAA Class 6A)