2020 Single A Discussion

Rockstar89

Congrats to Summertown who punched their ticket to the state finals by defeating Loretto for a 6th time this season 3-2. Loretto started super slow, but really came on strong to make it interesting late. This team doesn't know the meaning of quit! I have a feeling these two will be meeting again tomorrow, but I'm sure Watertown or Sale Creek will have something to say about that this afternoon! I was super impressed once again with how few mistakes Summertown makes. They also set up a great block and their OH can really smack it when they get her a good set. All around very good team. Good luck to all!

What a great match: Sale Creek vs Watertown! Sale Creek played better than I’ve seen them play and drops the Purple Tigers in 5 close sets. Give the game ball to their Libero who dug out some great balls and helps send the Panthers to a rematch with Loretto to see who faces Summertown in the finals. 

As a fan of halls, I'd have to commend them for a 4th place finish last year. Tallest player maybe 5'9". This year the tallest was 5'8". Compete with all of west tn outside of aaa Shelby co.  Didn't get but a couple practices before season started due to covid restrictions. No tournaments. Not to shabby for a team with a "free trip to state".

2 hours ago, HHSFANMAN said:

As a fan of halls, I'd have to commend them for a 4th place finish last year. Tallest player maybe 5'9". This year the tallest was 5'8". Compete with all of west tn outside of aaa Shelby co.  Didn't get but a couple practices before season started due to covid restrictions. No tournaments. Not to shabby for a team with a "free trip to state".

Congrats! Didn't hurt you had multi-year All-State player Layney Dew last year. What a hitter. She was *excellent* for you guys. I know at one time she was gonna play college ball, where did she end up?

Edited by Rockstar89

Congrats to Loretto for fighting past a scrappy Sale Creek to earn a 7th match vs. Summertown for the state championship! 

Sale Creek really surprised me today. They played super hard! They are to be commended. Definitely most improved. Last year they made it to the tourney, but bowed out quickly and werent that impressive. Not so this year...they came to battle and make some noise. Congrats on a great season! NO REASON to hang their heads. 

Loretto is not to be left unmentioned either. A close 5 set loss against Summertown, and a 5 set win vs. Sale Creek. Both all out battles. Once again, Karly Weathers was the difference. I would like to see the stats, but I'm guessing she had close to 20 kills again in each match. Will expect another close match tomorrow!

Congrats to Summertown for winning back to back state championships in single A! They really manhandled Loretto this morning. I was expecting more from Loretto, but after the battles they had yesterday just ran out of gas I guess. Summertown loses 2-3 good players to graduation while Loretto loses NONE. So next year we could see Loretto right back here. Good luck to all and congrats on a great season!

1 hour ago, Rockstar89 said:

Congrats to Summertown for winning back to back state championships in single A! They really manhandled Loretto this morning. I was expecting more from Loretto, but after the battles they had yesterday just ran out of gas I guess. Summertown loses 2-3 good players to graduation while Loretto loses NONE. So next year we could see Loretto right back here. Good luck to all and congrats on a great season!

Don’t think the cupboard be bare for Summertown either / 4 quality starters and boatload of young talent 

9 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

Don’t think the cupboard be bare for Summertown either / 4 quality starters and boatload of young talent 

Oh I am sure...You guys seem to be growing great volleyball players in that part of TN... tough to lose a senior libero on such a good defense, as well as the top OH (who was absolutely killing it this week in all the matches I saw). I am sure they will do their darndest, though!

Do any of the S'Town girls have collegiate volleyball aspirations? 

Let 'em rest up/move on to bball and softball and see everyone next fall!!!!