2020 AAA Discussion

Rockstar89

28 minutes ago, Rockstar89 said:

Congrats Brentwood...Houston made it interesting and we could likely see these two at it again tomorrow!

I hope we see them again tomorrow.  As long as the Brentwood's right side continues to get kills like they have, that puts a lot of pressure on the Houston coach to move the double team off of the left side that will open up big time hits for Shaye.

1 minute ago, TeeterTot2 said:

I hope we see them again tomorrow.  As long as the Brentwood's right side continues to get kills like they have, that puts a lot of pressure on the Houston coach to move the double team off of the left side that will open up big time hits for Shaye.

I love Houston's coach.  I think she is one of the best 4-5 in the state.  She does an incredible job.  Give me Maryville, Goodpasture, Houston as 3 of the best at the state tournament.   Cookeville's coach has also really built something special, which is not easy to do in cookeville.  

11 minutes ago, Apostle said:

Rockstar - should be a good match. Kudos to Siegel for winning 3 losers bracket matches yesterday to play in today’s final match.

TSSAA had a rough day yesterday at Siegel and the conflict they should have foreseen played out.  At the 12:00 Noon match, Cookeville fans were shocked to see the Siegel student body let out of school for the day.  The word I hear was that Siegel (total enrollment - 1,758) has around 1,100 students on-site with the balance off-campus in distance learning.  The Cookeville contingent saw students coming in entrances from the school side of the gym which were previously  blocked off. Those students filtered into the gym w/o having bought tickets and passing through the fan check-in. Now I’m sure some group of students would attend as intended by administration and many more had no idea Siegel had a Vball team but TSSAA’s social distancing plan for player and fan safety became a moot point once the students filled the bleachers on that side of the gym. Maybe TSSAA was caught off-guard by the school’s decision - how would any outsiders know? It should not affect today’s AAA championship at 4:00 pm as school will be out by that time anyway.  Presumably, TSSAA is managing the ticket release as the championships for all public school classifications are at Siegel today and some fans will watch one or more matches especially the State’s marquis top class.

Regarding the match, the unapproved website which provides HS information has the following info on previous matches this year and rankings which are totally subjective (especially the National rankings in such an atypical COVID year) and I suppose are computer-based somehow.  Take it with a grain of salt as Brentwood deserves to be here by virtue of their season-long play and Siegel by virtue of losing their 1st tournament match and winning their way back to this point.

BHS: Overall: 37-3 / Tourney: 3-0 (9-1 in sets) 
State Rank: 1  /  National Rank: 3

SHS: Overall: 34-7 / Tourney: 4-1 (13-8 in sets) State Rank: 5  /  National Rank: 52

8/20 BHS W 3-1 (25-21, 25-19, 20-25, 25-8)

9/12 BHS W 2-1 (24-26, 25-19, 25-12)          

9/19 BHS W 2-0 (25-19, 25-19)                       

9/23 SHS W 3-2 (25-21, 21-25, 24-26, 25-18, 15-9)

The best of 3 match results were weekend tournament play and best of 5 were regular season home and away matches

A Brentwood fan told me one of their losses came with 3 starters out due to COVID contact-tracing but those players had just returned the night before the Siegel loss from missing 2 weeks of practice and competitive play.

Brentwood defeated Siegel in the 2018 AAA State Championship match.  Should be a good one to watch.

The fact Siegel is hosting this opposed to Blackman is a disgrace.  That being said, the Lady Bruins will be ready to whip Siegel in front on their entire student body, their mommas, their dads, their grandma's, their boyfriends, and God himself.  Siegel gave Brentwood bulletin board material early this week and the girls are very aware.  They will be ready.

Agree, the Siegel playing location on Championship day was a non-factor.  Crowd size was managed appropriately and not many folks held over from previous matches to watch.  Parking was actually better than at MTSU due to Rutherford Co schools partial distance learning. Another season wrapped up.

• 1 year later...