THURSDAY NIGHT RIVALRY GAME: POWELL GOES TO ANDERSON COUNTY

keepitmoving

4 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I could care less about Halls, I’m not even a Halls fan. Not sure what on earth you’re talking about. I don’t like their HC because he stretches rules and has gotten caught for it once already, that’s why. You and I both know he’s a shady character, but hey, if winning means that much to him.... 

Sorry....your profile pic looked like a Halls helmet.  lol  the log is kind of cut off.....lol  

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

I’d run Moog’s legs plum off if I was Gillum @ AC. I know that’s not really his style, but it would probably serve him best for this game. I never thought I’d say this, but go AC. Actually, I usually do pull for them, as long as they aren’t playing us. No offense to OSUnut (I really like that guy) but Powell’s HC just rubs me the wrong way. A very shady character in my humble opinion. Hope you can forgive me, Nut.

Sweet a few years back before they got going with a good feeder program davey was telling me he had to work with what he had. If that was 70% ground and pound then it is what it is. I think now he has more of a chance to mold earlier what he needs to have a good season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’d run Moog’s legs plum off if I was Gillum @ AC. I know that’s not really his style, but it would probably serve him best for this game. I never thought I’d say this, but go AC. Actually, I usually do pull for them, as long as they aren’t playing us. No offense to OSUnut (I really like that guy) but Powell’s HC just rubs me the wrong way. A very shady character in my humble opinion. Hope you can forgive me, Nut.

Shady is an understatement for that guy and his staff SS. 

• Thanks 1

I know you mean well, SS.

Should be a great game. I'm sure AC hasn't forgotten what happened in last year's 4th quarter. Powell's offense is going to be the real deal, and I was really impressed with Potts at QB, especially his ability to throw on the run. The big question for Powell is clearly on the D line and special teams.

Beech had their way with that line after the lightning delay, so it'll be interesting to see how Gillam wants to attack the Panthers' defense. On special teams, Powell's punter dropped two snaps, which resulted in 10 of Beech's 24 points, and their place kicker shanked a PAT and a 22-yd FG. 

On 8/22/2020 at 3:48 PM, osunut2 said:

I know you mean well, SS.

Should be a great game. I'm sure AC hasn't forgotten what happened in last year's 4th quarter. Powell's offense is going to be the real deal, and I was really impressed with Potts at QB, especially his ability to throw on the run. The big question for Powell is clearly on the D line and special teams.

Beech had their way with that line after the lightning delay, so it'll be interesting to see how Gillam wants to attack the Panthers' defense. On special teams, Powell's punter dropped two snaps, which resulted in 10 of Beech's 24 points, and their place kicker shanked a PAT and a 22-yd FG. 

Totally agree.  Powell should never kick a FG, or extra point!  Just go for it all the time.  Powell's offense is going to put up a lot of points this year.  There QB is legit and only a sophomore.  I think Powell is going to have to out score teams this year to win games.  D line is def. the week spot for them.  If teams decide to throw on Powell, they will be fine, because they are stacked at the DB positions.  

AC has to pound the frontline of Powell until we get a some yardage. Beech had great pounding. We have to score quick and often. Then the defence can takeover and slow down Powell. We can get some predictions on Wednesday. Home game for Mavs. But this is going to be a rough one for both teams. I remember what happened last year and it is still sour in mouth!

6 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Totally agree.  Powell should never kick a FG, or extra point!  Just go for it all the time.  Powell's offense is going to put up a lot of points this year.  There QB is legit and only a sophomore.  I think Powell is going to have to out score teams this year to win games.  D line is def. the week spot for them.  If teams decide to throw on Powell, they will be fine, because they are stacked at the DB positions.  

I'm still amazed that in a school the size of Powell, Lowe hasn't found a reliable kicker. I get that it isn't as simple as putting a helmet on a soccer player (kicking a football is very different), but with everything that has happened in recent months, there was an opportunity for some kid to just practice kicking a football on an empty field for the past ~5 months.

Powell just needs someone who can handle kickoff duties reliably, and who can make a PAT or a short FG (in the red zone) consistently. Aside from Powell's first kickoff, which resulted in a turnover (pooch kick), Beech had a relatively short field after every Powell score because they couldn't kick it deep. The starting PK did make 2 out of 3 PATs, but he badly missed on that 22-yard chip shot and his last PAT attempt.

Powell needs to be sound in all 3 phases if they want to make a run this year, and they've got a lot of work to do on special teams.

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

I'm still amazed that in a school the size of Powell, Lowe hasn't found a reliable kicker. I get that it isn't as simple as putting a helmet on a soccer player (kicking a football is very different), but with everything that has happened in recent months, there was an opportunity for some kid to just practice kicking a football on an empty field for the past ~5 months.

Powell just needs someone who can handle kickoff duties reliably, and who can make a PAT or a short FG (in the red zone) consistently. Aside from Powell's first kickoff, which resulted in a turnover (pooch kick), Beech had a relatively short field after every Powell score because they couldn't kick it deep. The starting PK did make 2 out of 3 PATs, but he badly missed on that 22-yard chip shot and his last PAT attempt.

Powell needs to be sound in all 3 phases if they want to make a run this year, and they've got a lot of work to do on special teams.

100 percent.  Makes no sense.  If Powell had a kicker, they wouldn't of had to worry about driving the field with a 1:00 on click to score a TD.  That would be top priority if I were Lowe. 

3 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

AC has to pound the frontline of Powell until we get a some yardage. Beech had great pounding. We have to score quick and often. Then the defence can takeover and slow down Powell. We can get some predictions on Wednesday. Home game for Mavs. But this is going to be a rough one for both teams. I remember what happened last year and it is still sour in mouth!

AC is def. going to have to keep up with Powell scoring.  I am not sure if AC has the athletes that can match up with Powell.  Stall ball is what Beech was doing, and it worked.  Sadly for Beech they left to much time on the clock for Powell's 5 wide offense.  AC is going to have to limit Powell's touches if they want a chance to win.  Still should be a fun game to watch.  

1 hour ago, keepitmoving said:

AC is def. going to have to keep up with Powell scoring.  I am not sure if AC has the athletes that can match up with Powell.  Stall ball is what Beech was doing, and it worked.  Sadly for Beech they left to much time on the clock for Powell's 5 wide offense.  AC is going to have to limit Powell's touches if they want a chance to win.  Still should be a fun game to watch.  

Yeah this will really be exciting and fun game. I think if our Defense rush can get the QB then it's all over this year for Powell Thursday night. That what I think that should break the camel's back. The QB/ rec is the strongest area for Powell this year IMO.

• Like 1