Shelby County Schools

mondo44

57 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

Keep us informed on this end of the state. We got into it with the TSSAA in 1935 and gained a nickname out of it.

Well. That was interesting. Where this beef with the TSSAA is going to lead, I don't know. Time will tell. But, it is apparant that the SCS is seriously considering not playing this year. We will learn after Labor Day.

Edited by kwc

11 minutes ago, kwc said:

Well. That was interesting. Where this beef with the TSSAA is going to lead, I don't know. Time will tell. But, it is apparant that the SCS is seriously considering not playing this year. We will learn after Labor Day.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter when you have more information.  At first glance it seems like sour grapes and a bad idea.  However, I am not opposed to TSSAA reform.  

Politics suck guys. 

We all have our opinions and gripes with everything. But when they actually cost a generation an opportunity at a better life it feels more criminal to me. Maybe I'm just too sensitive but a large portion of the most sensational football talent in Tennessee is not even able to suit up on Friday night in the name of pure POLITICS. 

THE MADNESS MUST STOP. Let them play! Their lives are more important than your politics!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter when you have more information.  At first glance it seems like sour grapes and a bad idea.  However, I am not opposed to TSSAA reform.  

Like I said earlier, I understand their POV. I don't necessarily agree with every item I've seen listed. Then again, I'm a little different then most. I absolutely appreciate what the TSSAA does as well as the NCAA. Mention both because they basically do the same thing, just in diffrent arenas.

Essentially, SCS want the TSSAA to pull the fence down. The TSSAA wants to provide everyone with aids for them to see, pertinent to thier ability. Both give the same results, but different methods of application. I don't think the TSSAA is capable of doing what the SCS is adviocating and appear to be clear and impartial to the rest of the state. Like I said earlier ... I don't what the end game is supposed to be from a =n SCS POV. Sure, some things can be addressed, but I don't see any radical changes coming as a result of the dialogue, if there is any dialogue. We will see.

Edited by kwc

38 minutes ago, Swarm said:

Politics suck guys. 

We all have our opinions and gripes with everything. But when they actually cost a generation an opportunity at a better life it feels more criminal to me. Maybe I'm just too sensitive but a large portion of the most sensational football talent in Tennessee is not even able to suit up on Friday night in the name of pure POLITICS. 

THE MADNESS MUST STOP. Let them play! Their lives are more important than your politics!

As far as the schools playing or not has nothing to do with polotics. It's a matter of opinion and responsibility. There is nothing to gain from the SCS to withold the children from playing pol;itically. They will have angry parents just like any other school district. It's a matter of safety. Pure and simple. YOU may be ready to risk an outbreak of COVID-19 in your community as a result of letting teams play. The Superintendent for the Shelby County schools system is not. SInce allowing the schools to play will fall on his head. I can see why there is concern. This isn't rural Tennessee. An outbreak can be catastophic. There is no ONE answer that is right. If the powers that be deem that it is not safe, then so be it. I might add ... he wans the children to play just as bad as anybody else, or so he stated, over and over, but in the end, safety is the concern and the decision falls on his desk.

Let me add this. If it were up to me. If there isn't any way to GARUNTEE everyone'safety. There would probably be no games played by SCS schools this season. We would follow the Big-10's lead. As much as I like High School Football ... if there aren't any drastic changes in treatment and containment of the virus. This season in Shelby County would most likely be put off until next season. That's just me.

Edited by kwc
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, kwc said:

Let me add this. If it were up to me. If there isn't any way to GARUNTEE everyone'safety. There would probably be no games played by SCS schools this season. We would follow the Big-10's lead. As much as I like High School Football ... if there aren't any drastic changes in treatment and containment of the virus. This season in Shelby County would most likely be put off until next season. That's just me.

That's a perfectly understandable position and reasoning. 

No one is going to guarantee anyone's safety regardless of a pandemic though. That's what insurance is for. 

So if it's not political than why doesn't SCS just pull the plug? Why must they publicly call out TSSAA as being "racist"? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Swarm said:

That's a perfectly understandable position and reasoning. 

No one is going to guarantee anyone's safety regardless of a pandemic though. That's what insurance is for. 

So if it's not political than why doesn't SCS just pull the plug? Why must they publicly call out TSSAA as being "racist"? 

When I speak of garunteed safety, i'm talking about the pandemic ... not injury due to the roughness of the game. BUT you already know that. Insurance is no protection agains COVID-19.

Pulling the plug because of the pandemic and publically calling out TSSAA, are on two diferent ends of the spectrum. One has nothing to do with the other. How on earth did you come away with that as a conclusion? Now i'm baffeled.

Edited by kwc

6 minutes ago, kwc said:

When I speak od garunteed safety, i'm talking about the pandemic ... not injury due tyo the roughness of the game. BUT you already know that. Insureance i no protection agains COVID-19.

Pulling the plug because of the pandemic and publically calling out TSSAA, are on two diferent ends of the spectrum. One has nothing to do with the other. How on earth did you come away with that as a conclusion? Now i'm baffeled.

They're going to do one or the other here pretty soon. (As far as pulling the plug or playing)

So the conclusion you speak of is in their own hands. My conclusion is that this is very political. We can discuss that all night if you'd like.? 

I say let's sit back and see what happens in the next 10 days. Then we'll surely have something to argue about. 

1 hour ago, Swarm said:

Politics suck guys. 

I agree 110%. The Big 10 is going to pay a long time for their decision based on politics. All the SEC has to do now when competing for a player with Ohio State is use  that against them. Lots of kids will back off of the Big 10 thinking another plague will cause them not to play.

Edited by pioneer42
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Swarm said:

They're going to do one or the other here pretty soon. (As far as pulling the plug or playing)

So the conclusion you speak of is in their own hands. My conclusion is that this is very political. We can discuss that all night if you'd like.? 

I say let's sit back and see what happens in the next 10 days. Then we'll surely have something to argue about. 

We can table the discussion, but the conclusion is unclear in my book, coming from SCS's POV. As far as this season is concerned, that is correct, we will find out after Labor Day. Long term ... that's as clear as the Mississippi River..

Edited by kwc

2 minutes ago, kwc said:

We can table the discussion, but the conclusion is unclear in my book, coming from SCS's POV. As far as this season is concerned, that is correct, we will find out after Labor Day. Long term ... that's as clear as the Mississippi River..

We can agree on that!

Hoping for the best. 

5 hours ago, kwc said:

As far as the schools playing or not has nothing to do with polotics. It's a matter of opinion and responsibility. There is nothing to gain from the SCS to withold the children from playing pol;itically. They will have angry parents just like any other school district. It's a matter of safety. Pure and simple. YOU may be ready to risk an outbreak of COVID-19 in your community as a result of letting teams play. The Superintendent for the Shelby County schools system is not. SInce allowing the schools to play will fall on his head. I can see why there is concern. This isn't rural Tennessee. An outbreak can be catastophic. There is no ONE answer that is right. If the powers that be deem that it is not safe, then so be it. I might add ... he wans the children to play just as bad as anybody else, or so he stated, over and over, but in the end, safety is the concern and the decision falls on his desk.

I'll counter with a question for you. At what point in time do you expect to be able to GUARANTEE everyone's safety? This is here permanently... there may soon be vaccines, more knowledge about the danger to their age group, and/or medications that will counteract the harsh symptoms when contracted, but there'll never be a world where Coronavirus isn't a threat to some portion of the populous again. I see your point about rural Tn. vs. Memphis, but don't be fooled into thinking that the youth of both communities aren't intermingling on a daily basis. Your Director of Schools has a plan that would be sound only if the students were quarantining themselves from everyone not living inside their household, and that everyone in that home were also doing the same. The kicker is that I'm not arguing against your points... just stating that I'm not sold that SCBOE's plan of action is more beneficial than ours. We have kids who don't eat on a regular basis without school meals... who also have no structure, no discipline, and no supervision without school. Add to those indisputable facts that teachers are responsible for reporting 75-90% of child abuse cases (depending on who's stats you use), and that with social distancing came a drastic increase of domestic abuse cases, indicating that child abuse likely increased too, yet reported cases have fallen by half. Mental health experts are issuing warnings left and right to closely monitor school aged children for symptoms of depression and suicidal tendencies brought about by lack of contact and structure not provided them because of school closures for extended periods. Logic says that school is "dangerous" because of close proximity... logic also says that the lack of school is also dangerous.