School systems not playing yet - what's their future?

CHARGERFAN

I haven't kept up with those schools or school systems that haven't played football so far this year. I have been so glad to actually attend two live games that I neglected to read all the news.

I know that Shelby County Schools haven't played yet. I don't know if they have a future plan to play or not. I believe I heard that Nashville Metro was not going to play at all. 

I would like to see the details on these schools plans plus how this will affect the playoffs. Can y'all enlighten me?

6 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I haven't kept up with those schools or school systems that haven't played football so far this year. I have been so glad to actually attend two live games that I neglected to read all the news.

I know that Shelby County Schools haven't played yet. I don't know if they have a future plan to play or not. I believe I heard that Nashville Metro was not going to play at all. 

I would like to see the details on these schools plans plus how this will affect the playoffs. Can y'all enlighten me?

I honestly don’t know what they will do, but if Shelby County cancels the season and there are no other problems with Covid-19, it looks like Regions 7A, 7AA, and 7AAA, will not play anyone in the first round.  They will then play fellow region opponents in the 2nd round and quarterfinals. 

7AAAA should get at least 2 first round games out of Region 8.  Bolton and Craigmont would not be able to play.  Fayette Ware and Millington should be good to go.

7AAAAA should get at least 2 first round games out of Region 8.  Brighton and Munford should be good to go.  Kingsbury, Kirby, Overton, Ridgeway, and Southwind would not be able to play.

In 7AAAAAA, Arlington, Bartlett, Collierville, Houston should be able to play.  Cordova would not be able to play. No Region 8 teams (Memphis Central, Germantown, White Station, Whitehaven) would be able to play, so Region 7 teams would not play anyone in the first round.

I’m just guessing this is how it will play out in the west, but I don’t know what the TSSAA plans to do.  We have to get through the season first.  As time goes on, I’m sure we will have more teams have to cancel games and maybe cancel their seasons.  We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Edited by stacmot

47 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Are there any other school systems not playing? I'm aware of Shelby County Schools and Nashville Metro being idle. What about Knoxville and Chattanooga? Are they playing?

Knox County and Hamilton County are playing.  I believe the Clarksville/Montgomery County schools start tonight, and I think Jackson/Madison County schools will start tonight as well.

Here in Georgia, the regular season kicks off tonight. Several small to midsize systems are delaying for a few more weeks. Only 7 or 8, mostly small schools, have cancelled the season. The problem here is that the state title games will now be played the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. I believe that the TSSAA (as well as the GHSA) should have made the call for everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chs1984 said:

Here in Georgia, the regular season kicks off tonight. Several small to midsize systems are delaying for a few more weeks. Only 7 or 8, mostly small schools, have cancelled the season. The problem here is that the state title games will now be played the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. I believe that the TSSAA (as well as the GHSA) should have made the call for everyone. 

I do think with some districts cancelling the season, others starting the season 2 or 3 weeks late, schools having to quarantine for 2 or more weeks, teams ending up with 2,3, or more open dates, and limited tickets...fans, and possibly some players, are losing interest.   But if the TSSAA had made the call, we would still have some of those problems.  We just don't know how all of this is going to end up.

6 hours ago, chs1984 said:

2 hours ago, stacmot said:

I do think with some districts cancelling the season, others starting the season 2 or 3 weeks late, schools having to quarantine for 2 or more weeks, teams ending up with 2,3, or more open dates, and limited tickets...fans, and possibly some players, are losing interest.   But if the TSSAA had made the call, we would still have some of those problems.  We just don't know how all of this is going to end up.

Guys, TSSAA did make the call! They said play ball, and they said it in time for everyone to put in the requisite practice time to play from day one. You can't fault TSSAA for anyone who missed a single game... the worst thing that they did was to say from mid June that teams should follow their local government guidelines regarding social distancing and close contact/small groups, which they would have had to do anyway, but it gave a few teams a jump on beginning football operations. If your team started late, hasn't played yet, or won't play at all this season, it's either the fault of your city or county government, or your local school district. TSSAA formulated three different "backup" plans, and chose the better of the three in case the Governor's order banning contact was not lifted in time to begin the season on time. Fortunately, the non contact order was lifted and we will have a full ten game season, with the full four teams from each region playoff format. I have rarely been a fan of TSSAA's execution of procedures, but I'll have to give them credit where it's due on this one... they got it exactly right.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Guys, TSSAA did make the call! They said play ball, and they said it in time for everyone to put in the requisite practice time to play from day one. You can't fault TSSAA for anyone who missed a single game... the worst thing that they did was to say from mid June that teams should follow their local government guidelines regarding social distancing and close contact/small groups, which they would have had to do anyway, but it gave a few teams a jump on beginning football operations. If your team started late, hasn't played yet, or won't play at all this season, it's either the fault of your city or county government, or your local school district. TSSAA formulated three different "backup" plans, and chose the better of the three in case the Governor's order banning contact was not lifted in time to begin the season on time. Fortunately, the non contact order was lifted and we will have a full ten game season, with the full four teams from each region playoff format. I have rarely been a fan of TSSAA's execution of procedures, but I'll have to give them credit where it's due on this one... they got it exactly right.

What you said 100%!

10 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I agree with you.

The TSSAA did all they could do to ensure that we could have a safe football season, and I’m thankful for that.  

I’m not sure what chs1984 meant by the statement, “the TSSAA should have made the call.”  I was simply trying to point out that if the TSSAA had done whatever he was thinking, we would still have the same problems.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, stacmot said:

I agree with you.

The TSSAA did all they could do to ensure that we could have a safe football season, and I’m thankful for that.  

I’m not sure what chs1984 meant by the statement, “the TSSAA should have made the call.”  I was simply trying to point out that if the TSSAA had done whatever he was thinking, we would still have the same problems.

I see your points. I just think it would have been smoother if everybody had been on the same page. Same situation here in Georgia.