Covington @ Westview - week 5

CHARGERFAN

It's hard to believe that this coming week marks the half-way point of the high school football season. But, despite Covid-19, this is week 5 coming up. 

Covington will travel to Martin, TN to play Region 7-3A foe, Martin Westview. These teams both come into this contest at 4-0. Westview is lighting up the scoreboard each week, and Covington has done pretty well, too. 

Sonny-Moore's power rankings show the game like this: Covington is ranked 136, while Westview is at 122. The difference is 14, but then Westview gets 3 points for home field advantage, making the spread 11 points.

l'm sure that Westview will be remembering the big loss that Covington put on them in Covington last year and will be looking for revenge. Covington, on the other hand, is rolling along showing another stout defense to go with our deadly rushing attack. 

I think it's safe to say that the Chargers will win this week. That's disingenuous, however, since each team is called Chargers. I will go out on a limb and say that my Covington Chargers will take this one.

Just saw that the Daily Memphian published TSSAA stats for local teams in the Memphis area. Significant stats:

Covington is # 1 in rushing, averaging 293 yards per game.

On Defense, Covington is # 4 in rushing defense - 89.7 yards/game

also # 4 in total defense at 130 yards/ game

individual stats

Covington QB Carson Ruffin leads in completion % at 85.7%

Covington running backs average yards / carry

Marcus Hayes - 15.6

Jamarion Dowell - 11.1

57 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Just saw that the Daily Memphian published TSSAA stats for local teams in the Memphis area. Significant stats:

Covington is # 1 in rushing, averaging 293 yards per game.

On Defense, Covington is # 4 in rushing defense - 89.7 yards/game

also # 4 in total defense at 130 yards/ game

individual stats

Covington QB Carson Ruffin leads in completion % at 85.7%

Covington running backs average yards / carry

Marcus Hayes - 15.6

Jamarion Dowell - 11.1

I could be totally wrong but that qb completion % is probably misleading. I bet your qb has not attempted very many passes this year. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

3 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I could be totally wrong but that qb completion % is probably misleading. I bet your an has not attempted very many passes this year. 

Well, you are right. The minimum pass attempts to be counted in this category is 2 per game. I don't have a count, but if Carson throws 3 or 4, that's a lot. Against Haywood, they stacked 8 in the box to try to stop our run game, and Carson hurt their D with some very effective passes, but he still only threw a few.  I've been impressed with his accuracy and how open our receivers get when opponents are keying on the run.

Just now, CHARGERFAN said:

Well, you are right. The minimum pass attempts to be counted in this category is 2 per game. I don't have a count, but if Carson throws 3 or 4, that's a lot. Against Haywood, they stacked 8 in the box to try to stop our run game, and Carson hurt their D with some very effective passes, but he still only threw a few.  I've been impressed with his accuracy and how open our receivers get when opponents are keying on the run.

Lexington’s qb only had 7 pass attempts coming into the game with Milan. When Milan dialed in on the run He could not pass. Sounds like your qb can get it done when he has to. 

5 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Lexington’s qb only had 7 pass attempts coming into the game with Milan. When Milan dialed in on the run He could not pass. Sounds like your qb can get it done when he has to. 

You know that Covington's bread-and-butter is the run game.... always has been, probably always gonna be. Still, having a senior at QB who can throw occasionally keeps the D loosened up some and rewards those receivers who like to catch one now and then.  But, put Covington in a 3rd and 9 situation and you are just as likely to see a run play as a pass.

47 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

You know that Covington's bread-and-butter is the run game.... always has been, probably always gonna be. Still, having a senior at QB who can throw occasionally keeps the D loosened up some and rewards those receivers who like to catch one now and then.  But, put Covington in a 3rd and 9 situation and you are just as likely to see a run play as a pass.

What do you mean run play as a pass ? 

I think Covington will win this game. But I’ll tell you Simpson is allusive. When McNairy broke through on him he would retreat roll out of pocket and make a play. If you lose contain on him he can hurt you with his feet, give him time and he can pick a D apart. Not a throw he can’t make . But I think Covington’s D should handle it.