Playoffs and COVID and TSSAA

PiRaTe._.MiKe

I suggest the TSSAA change their policy regarding COVID come playoff time.  They decided to play football this fall rather than postponing it till spring, and now they are seeing teams drop like flies.  If they want ANY sort of money from the playoffs and championship game, then the only choice would be to lift the mandatory COVID restrictions.  I know some is left up to the school system, but cmon, we all know most school systems are following the TSSAA’s recommendations.  Actually they need to lift them before week 9.  If an undefeated team gets it week 9 they will lose the first round game via COVID and be out.  Thoughts everyone?

Edited by PiRaTe._.MiKe
  • Like 1

Totally agree. I think people with bad health this is bad, but for most it's like a small bug and then goes away. If a player plays with a stomach virus, alot will get it and alot want. This cancellation stuff is stupid. They might as well shut down like they tried to shut down our country. BTW, I worked everyday and went to Florida for vacation with my family around 1000's of people when they said it was such a HOT Zone!! Yea Right!!!!  I know I would be okay with my son playing if he were still in school.  But, I'm like you, Lift IT!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Quarantine the kid/kids that test positive and let them play. Covid is less severe that the flu in school age children (From multiple sources).   We all have the same risk of catching it at the gas station, grocery store,restaurants etc.     What are we supposed to do hide in our houses scared to death until the "Media" tells us its ok to come out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oneyewilly said:

Quarantine the kid/kids that test positive and let them play. Covid is less severe that the flu in school age children (From multiple sources).   We all have the same risk of catching it at the gas station, grocery store,restaurants etc.     What are we supposed to do hide in our houses scared to death until the "Media" tells us its ok to come out

That's what the media wants you to do. I thought they were always right.... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

I suggest the TSSAA change their policy regarding COVID come playoff time.  They decided to play football this fall rather than postponing it till spring, and now they are seeing teams drop like flies.  If they want ANY sort of money from the playoffs and championship game, then the only choice would be to lift the mandatory COVID restrictions.  I know some is left up to the school system, but cmon, we all know most school systems are following the TSSAA’s recommendations.  Actually they need to lift them before week 9.  If an undefeated team gets it week 9 they will lose the first round game via COVID and be out.  Thoughts everyone?

2 hours ago, oneyewilly said:

A Quarantine is for sick people. When healthy people are masked, handcuffed and forced to stay indoors, that's called tyranny. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

You can't just lift all restrictions and leave the decision up to the individual school/system. TSSAA's mission statement declares that they lead the member schools, and that they will attempt to be "fair" to all. You'd have one team quarantining symptoms and another playing kids at any cost (already rumored to have happened in our area).

What they should do is use a more common sense approach... kids now quarantine for "contact" for 14 days, even after a negative test and week long wait for the results. Contact is deemed within six feet for 10 minutes, yet you can be two feet for 9 minutes, walk ten feet away, then immediately back to two feet with no restriction... stupid! I know that there has to be a defining line and not a gray area for the purpose of "rules", but TSSAA should scrap the CDC and WHO mumbo jumbo for something simpler to track and more constant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

You can't just lift all restrictions and leave the decision up to the individual school/system. TSSAA's mission statement declares that they lead the member schools, and that they will attempt to be "fair" to all. You'd have one team quarantining symptoms and another playing kids at any cost (already rumored to have happened in our area).

What they should do is use a more common sense approach... kids now quarantine for "contact" for 14 days, even after a negative test and week long wait for the results. Contact is deemed within six feet for 10 minutes, yet you can be two feet for 9 minutes, walk ten feet away, then immediately back to two feet with no restriction... stupid! I know that there has to be a defining line and not a gray area for the purpose of "rules", but TSSAA should scrap the CDC and WHO mumbo jumbo for something simpler to track and more constant.

I agree they should scrap what everyone else is saying and do their own more suitable for play.  Like you said, folks may already be playing even with positive testing.  The whole making the entire team quarantine is dumb to me.  Let them play and test only if they choose to.  I’m not taking anything away from the virus because it is definitely a real thing, but we’ve all been sick for years and it’s either the flu or it’s a “we don’t know” scenario.  Someone in command finally decided to give the “we don’t know” a name and by that it gave them “control”.  Again, I’m not downplaying it because it can cause major issues if not death in adults with underlying conditions like myself, but then again, so can the Flu, Pneumonia, and even a stomach bug. What’s the saying, make a mountain out of a mole hill.  

Agree @PiRaTe._.MiKe. Little brother is down in the “hot zone” in Florida and he unfortunately caught the virus and is in quarantine. He said it’s nothing more than a small head cold. Nose stopped up and that’s about it. If a player comes down with the virus, they should be the one isolated. Not the whole team having to suffer because a few players. Like you said, especially come playoff time. Put in all that work during preseason and mid season just to have your playoffs stripped from you because of 1 or 2 players being “sick”? That’s just not fair. 

On 9/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

I dont think the TSSAA has shut any programs down. School systems have but generally at the behest of county health departments. I dont think TSSAA has anything to do do with what happened to Marion county or any other team.

Also I don't think teams are "dropping like flies".  The teams that have have been shut down are minimal when compared to the teams that are playing.

30 minutes ago, Joyful95 said:

I dont think the TSSAA has shut any programs down. School systems have but generally at the behest of county health departments. I dont think TSSAA has anything to do do with what happened to Marion county or any other team.

Also I don't think teams are "dropping like flies".  The teams that have have been shut down are minimal when compared to the teams that are playing.

We’ve seen them dropping in our tri state area.  I just mean for the most part the school systems seem to follow the recommendation made by the TSSAA, but I know it’s left more up to the school system.