POWELL @ CENTRAL SATURDAY AT 7:30....WOW!!

keepitmoving

2 hours ago, guthook said:

I guess I just disagree.  I think Powell was a better team last year and West beat em once and almost beat em the first time.  I think west is a better team this year than they were last year.  

It's important to note that Powell has not been near as convincing this year as they were last year.  They eeked out two wins that they should have won easily this year if they're as good as yall say they are.

I get that folks like those passing yards, but I'm not convinced yet.  And I'm definitely not convinced they can beat Alcoa and Catholic the way some of yall are talking.

Disagree with you on this one.  Powell first 5 games in 2019 were Greeneville, AC, Fulton, Karns, and Clinton.  There first 5 games this year was Beech, AC, Fulton, Karns, and Central.  Arguably a tougher schedule.  Beech is a better team than Greeneville, and obviously Central is a better team than Clinton.  AC was better this year because they pretty much are all seniors this year.  Powell lost a lot on the defense side of the ball, and on Offense they are a totally different team this year in a good way.  All and all Powell is a better team this year than last.  Not to mention they are Sophomore and Junior heavy in all the key spots.  Next year NOBODY will want to play Powell.  They will be deadly! 

Just now, keepitmoving said:

Disagree with you on this one.  Powell first 5 games in 2019 were Greeneville, AC, Fulton, Karns, and Clinton.  There first 5 games this year was Beech, AC, Fulton, Karns, and Central.  Arguably a tougher schedule.  Beech is a better team than Greeneville, and obviously Central is a better team than Clinton.  AC was better this year because they pretty much are all seniors this year.  Powell lost a lot on the defense side of the ball, and on Offense they are a totally different team this year in a good way.  All and all Powell is a better team this year than last.  Not to mention they are Sophomore and Junior heavy in all the key spots.  Next year NOBODY will want to play Powell.  They will be deadly! 

Powell was a very solid, well-rounded team last year. The worst thing that happened to them was the way they beat West during the regular season. Powell was a bit lucky to win that game, and that result fueled the beating that ensued in the playoff rematch. They looked shell-shocked in that game, which was disappointing considering their record and the number of seniors on that team.

I'm obviously a big Powell fan, but I'm also a realist. This 2020 team is really good, and maybe they are better than last year's team. But they've looked very sloppy at times, and I think most of that has to do with their youth/inexperience. Ideally, when you get to November, you've had plenty of time/reps to address that and develop a killer instinct. Hopefully that's what we'll see with this team.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 10:01 PM, Mavericksinflight said:

Beech is good. Powell has improved. I think Powell would win another close one for real this time.  With Potts playing better now.

If Beech wasn’t -6 in turnovers they win easily last time. I think if we see this again, Beech wins by 10+. 

1 hour ago, eers said:

If Beech wasn’t -6 in turnovers they win easily last time. I think if we see this again, Beech wins by 10+. 

This is the dumbest thing said on this thread....lol  it's like saying if the pigs could fly....lol The fact is they turned the ball over, and they didn't fumble themselves.  Powell CREATED those turnovers.  I can also say if it was not for the 2hr rain delay, Powell beats them by 20+.  It was 14-0 before the delay.  The delay gave Beach time to re-group and re-game plan. 

47 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

This is the dumbest thing said on this thread....lol  it's like saying if the pigs could fly....lol The fact is they turned the ball over, and they didn't fumble themselves.  Powell CREATED those turnovers.  I can also say if it was not for the 2hr rain delay, Powell beats them by 20+.  It was 14-0 before the delay.  The delay gave Beach time to re-group and re-game plan. 

Nah... Remember that time you said "Powell would throttle Catholic".  That was worse...

2 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

LOL.....tusche....LOL.tusche

That made me laugh.  Good sport.  

I do think Powell is a very good team.  I understand the excitement.  West looks pretty good too.  Central seemed to reliant on the twins in the saturday game.  But let's be honest, if the refs don't botch that no telling how it turns out.

We're blessed with lots of good football right now.

Edited by guthook
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, guthook said:

I guess I just disagree.  I think Powell was a better team last year and West beat em once and almost beat em the first time.  I think west is a better team this year than they were last year.  

It's important to note that Powell has not been near as convincing this year as they were last year.  They eeked out two wins that they should have won easily this year if they're as good as yall say they are.

I get that folks like those passing yards, but I'm not convinced yet.  And I'm definitely not convinced they can beat Alcoa and Catholic the way some of yall are talking.

Note, I said 5-A, nothing about Alcoa or Catholic. I'll agree West is good. I guess only time will tell and if they get to play.

• Upvote 1

Just now, guthook said:

That made me laugh.  Good sport.  

I do think Powell is a very good team.  I understand the excitement.  West looks pretty good too.  Central seemed to reliant on the twins in the saturday game.  But let's be honest, if the refs don't botch that no telling how it turns out.

Ya the refs in that game were TERRIBLE!  In the first half Central had more yards in Powell penalties, than they did in total yards.  A ton of missed and blown calls for sure. I still think Powell wins no matter what.  Central is very one dimensional.  I was surprised they had the QB throwing that much vs Powell.  To Powell defense a little bit, Central had the ball 3 times down to the 1 yard line and couldn't punch it in.  So ya the refs blew calls, but if Central was able to gain 1 yard 3 different times, the game would of been a lot different.  So I don't so much blame the terrible refs for Centrals loss.  I blame Central for not getting in the end zone from the 1 three diff. times in the game.  JMO 

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Powell was a very solid, well-rounded team last year. The worst thing that happened to them was the way they beat West during the regular season. Powell was a bit lucky to win that game, and that result fueled the beating that ensued in the playoff rematch. They looked shell-shocked in that game, which was disappointing considering their record and the number of seniors on that team.

I'm obviously a big Powell fan, but I'm also a realist. This 2020 team is really good, and maybe they are better than last year's team. But they've looked very sloppy at times, and I think most of that has to do with their youth/inexperience. Ideally, when you get to November, you've had plenty of time/reps to address that and develop a killer instinct. Hopefully that's what we'll see with this team.

I think Powell was better last year than this year, but very good this year. I wasn't impressed with Central at all (not impressed with our OR team either, at least not yet), and I do agree that Powell plays a very tough schedule. For that matter, so does OR!

10 minutes ago, bonkers said:

I think Powell was better last year than this year, but very good this year. I wasn't impressed with Central at all (not impressed with our OR team either, at least not yet), and I do agree that Powell plays a very tough schedule. For that matter, so does OR!

Completely agree on Central. They certainly don't appear to be at the same level of the last few seasons. This could be an oversimplification, and I know their #1 tailback was out, but outside of the Fortners, there just wasn't anyone else on the field that looked like a game-changer. They are still the class of region 2, and I would expect the race to the semifinals to be between them and SD.

I guess we'll see how this plays out in the next couple of years, but we may also be seeing the effect(s) of Rosser's departure.

11 hours ago, keepitmoving said:

No, several of those mistakes were unforced errors. Officiating was atrocious and if not for the no call on the blatant offensive pass interference, Beech still wins... with 6 turnovers and one of the worst games I’ve seen them play. There was a reason Powell would come to Beech even though they were supposed to play on the road at Greeneville. 

All of that said, Powell beat them. It’s just a bit premature to say Powell is the 5A state champion and nobody wants any. Perhaps it’s biased, but I believe Beech is the better team and they won’t have another game this year at -6 in turnovers. 

Im not saying Powell isn’t a good football team, they are. The QB is good and getting better. The WRs are really good as well (I personally believe the slot guys make the offense go). I saw a good team that night, but I didn’t see a state championship caliber team. From what I’ve seen, Beech has played two teams that I believe are better.