POWELL @ CENTRAL SATURDAY AT 7:30....WOW!!

keepitmoving

On 9/24/2020 at 1:07 AM, eers said:

No, several of those mistakes were unforced errors. Officiating was atrocious and if not for the no call on the blatant offensive pass interference, Beech still wins... with 6 turnovers and one of the worst games I’ve seen them play. There was a reason Powell would come to Beech even though they were supposed to play on the road at Greeneville. 

All of that said, Powell beat them. It’s just a bit premature to say Powell is the 5A state champion and nobody wants any. Perhaps it’s biased, but I believe Beech is the better team and they won’t have another game this year at -6 in turnovers. 

Im not saying Powell isn’t a good football team, they are. The QB is good and getting better. The WRs are really good as well (I personally believe the slot guys make the offense go). I saw a good team that night, but I didn’t see a state championship caliber team. From what I’ve seen, Beech has played two teams that I believe are better. 

Powell run defense is much improved from the first game of the year vs Beech.  Beech will not be nearly as successful with the run as they were week 1 vs Powell.  Would be a good matchup and may see each other in Cookeville?   

10 hours ago, eers said:

That’s my opinion based on what I’ve seen, but I haven’t seen the entire body of work either. Just as I believe Beech played terrible at Powell, that may not have been Powell’s best effort either. 

Powell would throttle Henry County and Hendersonville.  Come on.  lol You said Henry County and Hendersonville......LOL

1 minute ago, keepitmoving said:

Powell would throttle Henry County and Hendersonville.  Come on.  lol You said Henry County and Hendersonville......LOL

If that’s the case they are MUCH improved. The team I saw at Powell isn’t throttling either of them. What I saw was a good, but not great, team. They may end up being the best team in the state, but what I saw that night was not. I’ve seen all three of these teams and Powell wasn’t better than the other two. 

11 minutes ago, eers said:

If that’s the case they are MUCH improved. The team I saw at Powell isn’t throttling either of them. What I saw was a good, but not great, team. They may end up being the best team in the state, but what I saw that night was not. I’ve seen all three of these teams and Powell wasn’t better than the other two. 

I agree. Powell is much improved for sure, but even as a Powell fan, I can’t honestly say I see a state title team yet. Still a lot to improve on that can cost you games. Passing game hasn’t been really tested against a great secondary yet (Central may have been the best and Powell threw two INT’s early), run game is just getting going, still too many errors and penalties, and almost zero kicking game. And I know Henry County is always a solid football team, so it’s hard to say Powell would throttle them. 

Edited by KnoxPhoto

12 minutes ago, KnoxPhoto said:

I agree. Powell is much improved for sure, but even as a Powell fan, I can’t honestly say I see a state title team yet. Still a lot to improve on that can cost you games. Passing game hasn’t been really tested against a great secondary yet (Central may have been the best and Powell threw two INT’s early), run game is just getting going, still too many errors and penalties, and almost zero kicking game. And I know Henry County is always a solid football team, so it’s hard to say Powell would throttle them. 

Seems there's lots of throttling that powell will hypothetically be doing.

49 minutes ago, eers said:

What night did you see Powell play?

52 minutes ago, eers said:

Didn't Beech beat HC convincingly a few weeks back?  lol 

27 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Didn't Beech beat HC convincingly a few weeks back?  lol 

Beech beat HC 21-14.  It was, in my opinion,  Beech's best performance of the year.  I think Powell is really good (qb is impressive, receivers are very dangerous), but was unimpressed with their D and have seen better kicking games from a middle school team.  I don't think you can hand them the gold ball just yet.  The real question mark for Beech will be how does the 2 wk covid layoff affect them.  All the bumps and bruises will heal and they will be fresh for the stretch run,  but this young team could've used those two game to get better.  Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, tandem said:

Beech beat HC 21-14.  It was, in my opinion,  Beech's best performance of the year.  I think Powell is really good (qb is impressive, receivers are very dangerous), but was unimpressed with their D and have seen better kicking games from a middle school team.  I don't think you can hand them the gold ball just yet.  The real question mark for Beech will be how does the 2 wk covid layoff affect them.  All the bumps and bruises will heal and they will be fresh for the stretch run,  but this young team could've used those two game to get better.  Time will tell.

That Beech vs HC was really 21-7.  HC scored a late garbage TD.  But ya, Powell kicking game is non existent for sure, and there D line struggled early in the year.  They finally have the rotation of the D line, in line now.  Some of Powell's best D lineman were starting on the O line, and Powell coach didn't want to have them play both ways early on.  He has changed his tune, and it was evident vs Central last week.  Powell has a long way to go before they start thinking of a state championship.  I believe next year and 2023 Powell has a real chance of being back to back state champs, because most there talent is Sophomores and Juniors.  JMO

19 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

That Beech vs HC was really 21-7.  HC scored a late garbage TD.  But ya, Powell kicking game is non existent for sure, and there D line struggled early in the year.  They finally have the rotation of the D line, in line now.  Some of Powell's best D lineman were starting on the O line, and Powell coach didn't want to have them play both ways early on.  He has changed his tune, and it was evident vs Central last week.  Powell has a long way to go before they start thinking of a state championship.  I believe next year and 2023 Powell has a real chance of being back to back state champs, because most there talent is Sophomores and Juniors.  JMO

Looking forward to some fun Beech v Powell games over the next few years hopefully!?!  Why don' t ya'll come to Shackle Island next year?:)

• Like 2