South Pittsburg Needs Games Sept 25 and Oct 2

SPHS09

Just now, oneyewilly said:

If no one is willing to split the gate then yes I would understand the reason.  Maybe we should offer to split or give a percentage of the gate to someone coming here to play.  If no one gives on either side then nothing will happen.  I read on here that George walton would be splitting the gate (or a percentage) to Copper basin to travel there.  This is a crazy year if teams can work something out to where no one looses money then two teams would get much deserved playing time.  This obvious isn't going to be a money making year but the kids shouldn't suffer because of that. They've all put in a lot of work and deserve to play.  There can always be fundraisers etc...to help the program out.   Not being smart just curious why some sort of deal hasn't been made but yet several programs have filled  covid forfeits 

Nobody has offered SP anything to travel.  Nobody has agreed to even play a game besides Fyffe who backed out when they found a home game. So all your analogy sounds great and I agree on some of it but there has to be a team willing to play first and that has not happened. The problem is no small school wants to play SP and no big school wants to play a small school. SP is not the only team looking for a home game. It works both ways. SP has already played 3 away games already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powerp said:

Let's look at a typical game for SP that is an away game with some good distance like a Coalfield. You have probably 3k in pregame and postgame meals for everyone plus the charter bus rentals. SP will not travel because we would lose money. Home games are a must that replenish the account each year. We lost two huge gates and that hurts. A game will not be played over the next two weeks unless it's at Beene.

I’d donate $100 if 29 other people will and then the pre game meals are covered.  It’s a blessing for the kids to ride a charter bus but is not necessary. Hop on the county bus and pay $500 in fuel. So what would be the excuse then?  Like I said there is a lot of money that is in SP. if you can’t get 29 other business or people to donate $100 then there is t anyone in the community to back this program. We waste $100 monthly at a gas station or eating out on lunch instead of taking a lunch. 

2 minutes ago, Pirate1999 said:

Nobody has offered SP anything to travel.  Nobody has agreed to even play a game besides Fyffe who backed out when they found a home game. So all your analogy sounds great and I agree on some of it but there has to be a team willing to play first and that has not happened. The problem is no small school wants to play SP and no big school wants to play a small school. SP is not the only team looking for a home game. It works both ways. SP has already played 3 away games already. 

I agree there has to be a team willing to play before a deal is made.  I was told that we weren't even considering traveling at all no matter what the deal was.   

1 hour ago, powerp said:

Let's look at a typical game for SP that is an away game with some good distance like a Coalfield. You have probably 3k in pregame and postgame meals for everyone plus the charter bus rentals. SP will not travel because we would lose money. Home games are a must that replenish the account each year. We lost two huge gates and that hurts. A game will not be played over the next two weeks unless it's at Beene.

Traveling long distance gets very expensive. 2015 semifinal at Hampton we spent right at $20k. Went up on Thanksgiving morning. All the meals for that day, hotel rooms that night. Meals on Friday and rented a theater out for the kids to see a movie. Charter buses for 2 days. The following week spent close to that for Cookeville. 

In saying all that, people don't realize the expense that some teams will go to just to make the experience memorable for their kids. Also just buying a ticket to a few ballgames does not fund a successful program solely. We are very fortunate at our schools to have people that will donate not just money, but time, to give these kids great memories. 

6 minutes ago, PurplePower68 said:

Traveling long distance gets very expensive. 2015 semifinal at Hampton we spent right at $20k. Went up on Thanksgiving morning. All the meals for that day, hotel rooms that night. Meals on Friday and rented a theater out for the kids to see a movie. Charter buses for 2 days. The following week spent close to that for Cookeville. 

In saying all that, people don't realize the expense that some teams will go to just to make the experience memorable for their kids. Also just buying a ticket to a few ballgames does not fund a successful program solely. We are very fortunate at our schools to have people that will donate not just money, but time, to give these kids great memories. 

That's what I'm trying to say without getting into specifics on a public forum. People don't realize just how expensive things are for  teams. Travel in style, look good, play good.

Edited by powerp

1 minute ago, powerp said:

That's what I'm trying to say without getting into specifics on a public forum. People don't realize just how expensive things are for large teams. Travel in style, look good, play good.

Maybe I was out of line in putting numbers out there. Just trying to show how expensive it gets. Do we have to do that for the kids? No, but that's a memory they will have for a lifetime. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Spfan2011 said:

I’d donate $100 if 29 other people will and then the pre game meals are covered.  It’s a blessing for the kids to ride a charter bus but is not necessary. Hop on the county bus and pay $500 in fuel. So what would be the excuse then?  Like I said there is a lot of money that is in SP. if you can’t get 29 other business or people to donate $100 then there is t anyone in the community to back this program. We waste $100 monthly at a gas station or eating out on lunch instead of taking a lunch. 

That's a very nice gesture I am sure Coach Grider would appreciate.

21 minutes ago, Spfan2011 said:

You got to find a team willing to play first. That seems the problem. Then if team decides to split gate or cover travel expenses then it can hopefully be done. 

Listen, bottom line is it’s too expensive to travel right now.  It just is.  People don’t realize I’m sure it’s just as expensive to play at home. There is still a pregame meal.  Sometimes that is donated sometimes it is not.  There is also paint for the field for the Power P logo and the lines on the field.  There is a cost for routine maintenance in and around the stadium to keep it looking good.  From my understanding Fyffe was the only game scheduled that fell through.  Mt Pleasant was also a “possibility”, but they wanted travel expenses paid for.  Also, they wanted to play in the middle of the day on Saturday.  Anyone know what starts up this weekend?? SEC Football.  A lot of folks wouldn’t even come to the game probably except season ticket holders and gate pass holders.  That profit is probably already spent on the 3 away games, with only 1 home game.  We need a home game, but it’s not gonna happen unless the other team can afford to travel on their own expense.  This week and probably next week aren’t happening, end of story.  Only option next week MIGHT be Kingston, but I bet they won’t travel either.  So forget all this splitting the gate, or taking donations just to play this Friday or next.  If you want to donate, then donate, but don’t expect it to cover anything but what is already lost.  

I watched a team practice today up here in Montana they were right across the road where were staying. (Glacier HS) and looks about 4 times bigger than SP. Their bleachers at their stadium looks like it would hold about 20 people. Makes GB look like Neyland:lol:, Boys, as bad as it seems most of the programs represented here on the T are lucky to get what we get.

1 minute ago, team69 said:

I watched a team practice today up here in Montana they were right across the road where were staying. (Glacier HS) and looks about 4 times bigger than SP. Their bleachers at their stadium looks like it would hold about 20 people. Makes GB look like Neyland:lol:, Boys, as bad as it seems most of the programs represented here on the T are lucky to get what we get.

Hope that trip is going well 69