South Gibson @ Haywood

stacmot

Last year,  Haywood scored a 2 point conversion with 16 seconds left to defeat South Gibson 50-49.  Will this year's game be another scoring fest?

South Gibson has been able to play 5 games this season with victories over Trinity Christian, Crockett County, and McNairy Central.  The Hornets' have lost to Lexington and Milan.

Haywood has only been able to play 3 games this season losing to Henry County and Covington.  The Tomcats' only victory has been a 52-0 drubbing over winless Liberty Tech.

Will South Gibson's experience of playing two extra games be a major factor?

Any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Last year,  Haywood scored a 2 point conversion with 16 seconds left to defeat South Gibson 50-49.  Will this year's game be another scoring fest?

South Gibson has been able to play 5 games this season with victories over Trinity Christian, Crockett County, and McNairy Central.  The Hornets' have lost to Lexington and Milan.

Haywood has only been able to play 3 games this season losing to Henry County and Covington.  The Tomcats' only victory has been a 52-0 drubbing over winless Liberty Tech.

Will South Gibson's experience of playing two extra games be a major factor?

Any thoughts?

South Gibson lost a lot from last years team. And their two losses This year we’re to two really good teams in Lexington and Milan. In both of those games the youth from South Gibson competed tooth and nail and gave it all they had but just didn’t have enough. South Gibson will not beat themselves. Those kids are well coached and we lay smart football. They will make a game out of this one but they just don’t have the talent this year to beat a team as good as Haywood is. I say Haywood wins by a couple of scores. 

• Upvote 1

All previous posters, fair. Actually, really fair. I will not, nor can not dispute any of the above comments. 

I will say that SGC is finally healthy. We have been missing several starters for the last 4 weeks. I am not going to say that we are going to Haywood and get a win, but I am going to say that we are going to Haywood to compete. 

Last year, I would have picked SGC as a 17 point underdog against Haywood. SGC nearly won the contest. It will go down as the greatest high school football game I have ever watched, called, or been a part of. 

Yes, last year is one of the best teams in our schools history, but we should have never been able to play with Tomcats based on talent. They had 2 kids with legit Division 1 offers. We have only had 1 in our schools history ( he went to a small school most folks have never heard of ). 

I am personally wishing for another barn burner game between the 2 schools. SGC will not beat themselves. The Tomcats will have to do it. Haywood really hurt themselves last year with stupid penalties. 

We are in the mid part of the season that I never thought would happen and we are starting to see who is, and who is not! Count your blessing boys, this could be over any moment. I am personally amazed we have made it this far. 

GO HORNETS!!!

13 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

All previous posters, fair. Actually, really fair. I will not, nor can not dispute any of the above comments. 

I will say that SGC is finally healthy. We have been missing several starters for the last 4 weeks. I am not going to say that we are going to Haywood and get a win, but I am going to say that we are going to Haywood to compete. 

Last year, I would have picked SGC as a 17 point underdog against Haywood. SGC nearly won the contest. It will go down as the greatest high school football game I have ever watched, called, or been a part of. 

Yes, last year is one of the best teams in our schools history, but we should have never been able to play with Tomcats based on talent. They had 2 kids with legit Division 1 offers. We have only had 1 in our schools history ( he went to a small school most folks have never heard of ). 

I am personally wishing for another barn burner game between the 2 schools. SGC will not beat themselves. The Tomcats will have to do it. Haywood really hurt themselves last year with stupid penalties. 

We are in the mid part of the season that I never thought would happen and we are starting to see who is, and who is not! Count your blessing boys, this could be over any moment. I am personally amazed we have made it this far. 

GO HORNETS!!!

I will say this we are far more discipline then we were last year. In the 3 games we’ve played we have been the least penalized. We’ll come to play and eager to play especially bc we didn’t get to go to war with DYersburg. We played the option against Covington very well, that came down to field position. See y’all Friday! 

On 9/20/2020 at 8:04 PM, ManOfMillions said:

For the first time this year we have ALL of our starters on the field. Still underdogs but none the less we are finally healthy. 

That can make a big difference. Last year Covington lost RB Marcus Hayes and LB Caleb Winfrey to injury for several games. That affected our play in the middle of the season. When we got them back late in the year it fueled our playoff run.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:26 PM, CHARGERFAN said:

That can make a big difference. Last year Covington lost RB Marcus Hayes and LB Caleb Winfrey to injury for several games. That affected our play in the middle of the season. When we got them back late in the year it fueled our playoff run.

Not having your #1 Defender, and your center, plus other starters is going to make a difference for sure. 

I know that Haywood is stout! We are going to have to play a near perfect game and get a few breaks to have shot at it.