Riverside vs Camden

Pantherpride45

6 hours ago, Tide21 said:

I’ve always wondered why the defense while mcconnell was coaching were so bad. Do you have any insight ?  If he has the guys he coaches a heck of a offense. 

Watch some video from their 2016 season... you'll be hard pressed to find a more tenacious defense in small ball. They didn't have a weakness, were equally good against the pass and run, tackled well, and flew to the ball in numbers. 

25 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Watch some video from their 2016 season... you'll be hard pressed to find a more tenacious defense in small ball. They didn't have a weakness, were equally good against the pass and run, tackled well, and flew to the ball in numbers. 

From what I understand in 2016 the defense was good but how much of that was the players ?  I think they got put  out by trezevant without cordarrian Richardson. 

you can have great players and be good with not so good coaching. 

i always thought it might have some to do with the offense he runs and quick scoring causing the defense to be on the field a lot. 

5 minutes ago, Tide21 said:

From what I understand in 2016 the defense was good but how much of that was the players ?  I think they got put  out by trezevant without cordarrian Richardson. 

i always thought it might have some to do with the offense he runs and quick scoring causing the defense to be on the field a lot. 

The 2016 defense was loaded with seniors. 10 seniors and one junior who was Michael Jackson #1. The following year the kid was a one man show on defense. First person I ever seen get a flag for making a tackle with when his helmet come off. 

The defense you guys had in 18 was a lot like the one we had in 16. Richardson played a couple of plays in that game but trezvant was loaded with studs. Richardson got popped on one of those plays and didn’t like it and got a personal foul and Mr. T pulled him out of the game I assume to have healed up for the championship game. We had our chances in that game but just come up short. 

23 minutes ago, vandyfan1 said:

The 2016 defense was loaded with seniors. 10 seniors and one junior who was Michael Jackson #1. The following year the kid was a one man show on defense. First person I ever seen get a flag for making a tackle with when his helmet come off. 

The defense you guys had in 18 was a lot like the one we had in 16. Richardson played a couple of plays in that game but trezvant was loaded with studs. Richardson got popped on one of those plays and didn’t like it and got a personal foul and Mr. T pulled him out of the game I assume to have healed up for the championship game. We had our chances in that game but just come up short. 

He didnt to play much in championship game either. They said he had a bad high ankle sprain. You know we are only allowing 5.33 points per game this year on defense so far. The dang slip ups on offense have to put points on the board. 

Edited by Tide21

13 hours ago, Tide21 said:

I’ve always wondered why the defense while mcconnell was coaching were so bad. Do you have any insight ?  If he has the guys he coaches a heck of a offense. 

This is my personal opinion. Which really doesn’t matter so take it for what it’s worth.

McConnell is very smart. He is a great football mind. A great football coach. He has a special connection with players.
He knows offense and defense and football in general. A great teacher. Honestly the sharpest football mind I’ve ever worked with and he taught me so much about football and defense. After all, he has been a defensive guy his entire career until becoming a Head Coach. He began coaching football under Coach Sharp of Lewis Co, so you know he was mentored by one of the best.

The 2016 Waverly Team was highly talented. Which helped them be so good. But majority of the players on that defense were 2 and 3 year starters so they new the system and were experienced. The defensive system that he taught me while I was there with him, roughly end of 2013-beginning of 2016 is a great system. I believe it is the same system they use today. 

The disconnect? McConnell took over offensive duties when he became head coach. He knows that offense inside and out and his work ethic is through the roof. However, even though he is so talented defensively, he runs the offense, and his focus is offense. And understandably so because the work load is already high with that offense but also on top of being a head coach. So the defensive duties are delegated to another coach. And I don’t want to speculate on that coach’s abilities because I do not personally know. I’m just like y’all, I just know what I hear from others. Player talent is a big factor also. If he was running the defense and coaching the defense, you would see the difference IMO.

The offensive and defensive systems they run are elite. They will take time to grasp and understand. Believe me, McConnell was at a disadvantage this year with COVID and taking over a new team. The team is behind the curve due to COVID, but give them time, they will grasp it more. I can’t speak for how the defense will do, but you can bet his offense will be clicking. And everyone will know when it does, because you will see 40-50-60 pt ball games scored by Camden. 

9 hours ago, Tide21 said:

They wouldn't have been that good on D without stud players, but athletes don't equal team without coaching. Tommy Browder (our OC in '16) is considered an offensive guru by West Tn. football "experts"... his play calling puts most defenses at a disadvantage at the point of attack, and we managed two touchdowns in two games against them. They flowed to the ball without over pursuing better than any team we've ever played.

28 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

They wouldn't have been that good on D without stud players, but athletes don't equal team without coaching. Tommy Browder (our OC in '16) is considered an offensive guru by West Tn. football "experts"... his play calling puts most defenses at a disadvantage at the point of attack, and we managed two touchdowns in two games against them. They flowed to the ball without over pursuing better than any team we've ever played.

I agree but my question is more so why was every other team he has coached mediocre on defense. They had the athletes