AP TOP 10 CLASS 1A SEPT 21, 2020

Southtowner

1 hour ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Not so fast. It is true Lake County is a young team and not like last year team but I am fairly confident that both Lake County and Huntingdon will play in the semifinals. The others you mentioned are a notch below this two in the west. Lake County will be just fine against 1A competition as will Huntingdon.  So. Pitt is the overwhelming favorite to win a gold ball. Anything short of that is a complete failure and they may need to look within their program if that happens. So. Pitt has been favorite every year for the past 7 or 8 years and have not got the job done. It makes you wonder. This is the pirates year to get it done. If not there is something wrong on the pirate ship.

Taking absolutely nothing away from what the talent at Lake County was able to accomplish last season, however,  Lake County went to overtime with Dresden....not exactly what a State Championship caliber team does.  Huntingdon could only score six point on Bruceton....again not exactly a dominate performance.  As far as a notch below, we agree on that, thus the descriptor "outsiders looking in."  We also agree about South Pitt, however, this team seems stacked "unusually" high.  Much better players than South Pitt typically has.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Huntingdon is just like Lake County both teams are extremely young. They are both trying to find an identity. Huntingdon is very talented and I feel both Lake County and Huntingdon will figure things out by the time the playoffs start. LC may lose to Westview and Ripley but will be fine against 1A teams. Huntingdon lost to McKenzie and may lose to Milan but are fine against 1A teams. LC struggled through the Dresden game just like Huntingdon struggled with Bruceton. I know for a fact LC dominated the Dresden game and I suspect Huntingdon dominated the Bruceton game. Like I said both teams are very young and will keep getting better. Don't get me wrong I am no way saying that these other 1A teams cannot beat LC or Huntingdon but I do like both teams chances against the 1A teams in the west.

I am very curious how Lake County will fare against West Carroll and Greenfield.  I have a feeling that the district title may not be as secure as you might think.

@Mustang1969 what is your take on the underlined statement?  

On a separate note, how will they handle the playoffs for region 7?

Edited by BigStickDiplomacy

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Just curious why you have Moore Co ahead of Fayetteville when Fayetteville beat them last week?

Reason 1- because I'm an idiot.  Reason 2 - it was an oversight on my part.  When I originally typed it out I had Moore County below Copper Basin.  Not sure why I switched it other than referring back to reason one.  

The BPM adjusted rankings:

1. SOUTH PITTSBURG
2. LAKE COUNTY
3. HUNTINGDON
4. GORDONSVILLE
5. FAYETTEVILLE
6. COPPER BASIN
7. MOORE COUNTY

8. CORNERSVILLE
9. COALFIELD
10. MONTEREY

Edited by The Drunken Sailor
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BigStickDiplomacy said:

I am very curious how Lake County will fare against West Carroll and Greenfield.  I have a feeling that the district title may not be as secure as you might think.

My opinion is that their front 7 physically dominated us on the line of scrimmage. They will dominate a bunch of teams this season if they stay healthy. If they can find an offense before playoff time they will be a tough out for anybody. Now, we probably dominated them on the stat sheet. I maintain LC will be in semis no if’s, ands, or buts about it. Regions 5 -6 will be a battle.

13 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

Reason 1- because I'm an idiot.  Reason 2 - it was an oversight on my part.  When I originally typed it out I had Moore County below Copper Basin.  Not sure why I switched it other than referring back to reason one.  

The BPM adjusted rankings:

1. SOUTH PITTSBURG
2. LAKE COUNTY
3. HUNTINGDON
4. GORDONSVILLE
5. FAYETTEVILLE
6. COPPER BASIN
7. MOORE COUNTY

8. CORNERSVILLE
9. COALFIELD
10. MONTEREY

lol. It’s all good. 

1 hour ago, BigStickDiplomacy said:

Taking absolutely nothing away from what the talent at Lake County was able to accomplish last season, however,  Lake County went to overtime with Dresden....not exactly what a State Championship caliber team does.  Huntingdon could only score six point on Bruceton....again not exactly a dominate performance.  As far as a notch below, we agree on that, thus the descriptor "outsiders looking in."  We also agree about South Pitt, however, this team seems stacked "unusually" high.  Much better players than South Pitt typically has.  

Lake County did not go to overtime with Dresden. Dresden went to overtime with West Carroll and Greenfield. I get what you are saying. This LC team is not last years but I think both LC and Huntingdon are better than the rest and have more upside than the rest in the west.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStickDiplomacy said:

LC should be able to beat both Greenfield and West Carroll. LC simply has better skill athletes than both them. Line play is probably about even. Now, in saying that Greenfield and West Carroll could beat LC if the Falcons don't come to play. That is a very good possibility with a young team. Anyway if 1A stays the same LC will be pretty dang good for at least the next 3 years. LC will have their hands full against Westview this Friday. I'm just hoping they play well and make a game of it.

3 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

LC should be able to beat both Greenfield and West Carroll. LC simply has better skill athletes than both them. Line play is probably about even. Now, in saying that Greenfield and West Carroll could beat LC if the Falcons don't come to play. That is a very good possibility with a young team. Anyway if 1A stays the same LC will be pretty dang good for at least the next 3 years. LC will have their hands full against Westview this Friday. I'm just hoping they play well and make a game of it.

Y’all should beat both. Greenfield shouldn’t be in the top 10 even if undefeated, I know if you are 4-0 you deserve recognition, but if they are going off the 10 best teams in the 1A I just don’t think they are one of them from everything I’ve heard about them and seeing scores against inferior opponents. If they play Dresden again in the playoffs Dresden will probably win it 

3 hours ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Lake County did not go to overtime with Dresden. Dresden went to overtime with West Carroll and Greenfield. I get what you are saying. This LC team is not last years but I think both LC and Huntingdon are better than the rest and have more upside than the rest in the west.

Hope we stay under the radar 

5 hours ago, lakecounty1968 said:

I stand corrected.  I am sure that I miss heard/remembered, probably will not be the last time I do so.

9 hours ago, BigStickDiplomacy said:

I stand corrected.  I am sure that I miss heard/remembered, probably will not be the last time I do so.

Your looking at the scoreboard.Like 68 said ,lC had about 400 yards to Dresdens 130.Couple its dropped.Waa on 1 yard line and time ran out.Couple bad snaps over the punters head giving Dresden very short scoring drive.plis about 20 penalties.LC will be fine.Nowhere near last years team but I'm not expecting them to be.I think Dresden and LC will improve as the season continues,barring injuries or Covid.If everything goes like I'm thinking,LC will be the team to beat or one of them I think next 4 years.Seen middle school team play and they have some talent to blend in with the high school talent.