Way too early region 3 aaa predictions

On 10/4/2020 at 2:19 PM, Kahuna said:

Bradley schedule not as tough and will go undefeated until state tournament! New name to remember Hannah Jones! Cleveland will be second in the district !! Stone will win their district ! White county second! Bradley vs stone in region championship with Bradley winning again! State final will be Bradley vs stone assuming different bracket!

Would be great to see Bradley vs Stone in finals this year. If Walker hadn’t been hurt last year, would have been a great rematch , if COVID hadn’t happened... 

9 hours ago, bradley86 said:

If Williams had not been hurt, Cleveland might have had a chance to beat Bradley this yea, but I’m not sure who can replace her points now. 
Besides Blair, who are Cleveland’s key players this year?
Is Joy Douglass playing? Is she playing VB in college? 

I agree with missing Williams scoring.  They had a solid JV team last year so they will have some new names but it’s hard to replace a scorer like that.  But that’s a great question about Joy Douglass.  Douglass would really help this team.  She was solid and has a mean streak.  Very Good player!  I hope she plays this year.  

On 10/4/2020 at 2:19 PM, Kahuna said:

Bradley schedule not as tough and will go undefeated until state tournament! New name to remember Hannah Jones! Cleveland will be second in the district !! Stone will win their district ! White county second! Bradley vs stone in region championship with Bradley winning again! State final will be Bradley vs stone assuming different bracket!

Bradley’s non District schedule is as tough as anyone in the state. Played Oakland tonight & I believe will play Ensworth (best team in state last few years) & basically anyone who would play them (most wont). 
Agree that Cleveland should be second (by far - not even close).

I disagree with the other earlier poster who said WV would challenge for 2nd. WV will struggle to find offense this year outside of Davis. Probably should give young players good varsity time to prepare for future. 

On 11/24/2020 at 11:12 PM, FootballFan51 said:

Bradley’s non District schedule is as tough as anyone in the state. Played Oakland tonight & I believe will play Ensworth (best team in state last few years) & basically anyone who would play them (most wont). 
Agree that Cleveland should be second (by far - not even close).

I disagree with the other earlier poster who said WV would challenge for 2nd. WV will struggle to find offense this year outside of Davis. Probably should give young players good varsity time to prepare for future. 

Bradley lost to Upperman today be 18. Did they have all their players?

On 11/27/2020 at 11:42 PM, Dadof2 said:

Bradley lost to Upperman today be 18. Did they have all their players?

Here's the writeup from the Cleveland Daily Banner this morning:

Lady Bees sting Bearettes
Posted Sunday, November 29, 2020 2:01 am

By JOE CANNON

BAXTER — After enjoying a big Thanksgiving feast, the Bradley Central Bearettes had a sour dessert — a big slice of humble pie.

Having to quickly find a new opponent after Saturday's home game with private school powerhouse Ensworth had to be scratched, Coach Jason Reuter was able to work out a 2 1/2-hour road trip to Class AA stalwart Upperman.

The Lady Bees showed "defending" (2019) state champion Bradley why they have won two of the last three AA state crowns (2017 and '18) and were on their way to a possible third when the 2020 TSSAA tournament was cancelled after they had advanced to the Final Four.

"We played a very good team and had one our worst shooting halfs that I can remember," Reuter said after the 54-38 game; it was the second-worst defeat his Bearettes have suffered in the last eight seasons. Only last year's 71-41 thumping by Georgia state champion Westlake on New Year's Eve eclipsed Friday's outcome.

"Both teams put up 38 shots. They made 18 and we only made 12, plus they were 16-of-18 on free throws and we were 10-of-13.

"We had seven first half turnovers but were only down two points at the half and them went just 4-for-22 (from the filed) in the second half," the veteran mentor expressed.

"We knew it would be a challenge, but we'll learn from this more than having played someone we could beat by 25 to 30 points."

Having made nine state tournament appearances, Upperman also has a trio of runner up Silver Balls (2016, 2001 and 1999) in its trophy case. Meanwhile, the Bearettes are tied for a record 31 state tournament appearances, with a half-dozen Gold Balls and a pair of second-place finishes.

Things don't get any easier for the Bradley girls as they head to Meigs County, which lost to Upperman by just two points (44-42) in last year's TSSAA Sectional round, Tuesday. The last time the Bearettes went to Decatur it took overtime to escape with a 59-55 win.

"Meigs has all five of their starters back from last year," said Reuter, who stayed up for an hour and a half after getting home well after midnight Friday night to watch film on the Lady Tigers.

"It will be a dogfight. They gave us all we wanted over there last year right as we were having to change point guards. We've got certain players that need to step up for us to get where we need to be.

"All I can say is stay tuned. Our schedules are going to change weekly but everybody's in the same boat. We do have an agreement if we get another cancellation and so does Upperman then we'll try to work it out for them to come play down here. If not, they'll come to us for a solo game next year," he added.

Monday's game between LaVergne and the Bradley boys has been canceled by the Rutherford County school, so the Bears' (2-1) next game will also be Tuesday in Meigs County.

With COVID concerns causing havoc with the early season schedule, Reuter found himself having to switch opponents at the last minute for the third time earlier this week. Ensworth, which has won three of the last four D-II state titles, was coming to play a single game, taking the place of the usual Bearette Thanksgiving tournament, but said they couldn't play in Jim Smiddy Arena unless no fans were allowed to attend the game.

The big "Papa Bear" decided to look elsewhere for an opponent and was able to make connection with Upperman head coach Dana McWilliams, who was also looking to fill a COVID void.

"The way it turned out we just got it worked out Tuesday afternoon right before we played Oakland (which was also a COVID switch situation), so we really only had one day to prepare for them (Upperman) because we took Thursday off.

"We were minus one key reserve guard, who I gave permission to be gone to see her dad in Louisiana for Thanksgiving, but would have been back if we had played Saturday (against Ensworth).

"It boils down that I didn't have us prepared well enough," Reuter commented. "They were a matchup problem for us defensively and we made a few defensive miscues."

The battle between two of the state's top programs was what was expected in the opening half, with the hosts maintaining a small edge, with the difference getting over three points once in the first period.

After Upperman (4-0)  used a 5-0 spurt to go up 14-8 near the end of the first frame, Bradley senior Jamia Williams drilled a 3-pointer from the top of the key to trim the deficit to just three points at the first horn.

The Lady Bees pushed their advantage back to five points with a pair of free throws to open the second period, but seven unanswered points gave the Bearettes (2-1) their lone lead of the night.

Less than 40 seconds later the home team regained the lead and never gave it up the rest of the night.

Lee University signee Anna Muhonen put back in an offensive rebound in the final minute of the first half for a 24-22 difference at the intermission.

After the teams traded baskets to open the second half, the Lady Bees stung the guests repeatedly on a 10-2 streak to put Bradley in unfamiliar territory — down by double digits — with just less than four minutes left in the third period.

Although the Bearettes were able to get the difference back to single digits (38-29) by the buzzer, Upperman quickly erased any hope of a comeback with a 9-0 run to open the final quarter.

A pair of free throws by sophomore Hannah Jones with just 1.1 seconds on the clock prevented it from being a 20-point loss, but the 18-point defeat still ranks as the fifth worst in Reuter's better than a decade at the helm.

"We had a good talk about it in the locker room after the game," he related. "Obviously we want to always win games [but] sometimes you can learn good lessons from a loss, if it gets your attention and causes you to focus better.

"I feel the main difference was our second-half shooting. We had open looks, but we weren't able to knock them down."

With just a half-dozen players getting into the scoring column, only one, Muhonen reached double figures as she finished with 11 points, making 3-of-5 shots and going 5-for-7 at the free throw line, plus she cleaned the glass for a half-dozen rebounds.

Senior Kelsey Carman, who went 3-fort-4 from the field, including a 3-pointer, and junior Ashlan Crittenden both netted seven points. Carman also dished out a pair of helps.

Jones finished with a half-dozen points and six caroms, while Williams finished out the Bearette scoring with five points.

Although held scoreless, sophomore Sloan Carpenter helped out with a trio of thefts, two ricochets and a pair of assists.

Upperman had four players score in double figures — Brooklyn Crouch (17), Abigail Johnson (12), Reagan Hurst (11) and Torie Brooks (10). Johnson had a double-double with 11 boards.

Despite a big height disadvantage, the Lady Bees won the battle of the boards by a 28-20 margin. They also posted a 32-14 scoring advantage in the paint, mostly off fast breaks.

Bradley shot just 31.6% from the field (12-of-38), including only 15.4% (2-of-13) from long distance. Upperman countered with 47.4% (18-of-38) overall, but just 2-for-11 (18.2%) from 3-point land.

The Bearettes did come out victorious in the junior varsity game by a 46-39 tally, despite a 15-3 fourth-period run by the JV Lady Bees.

Sophomore Galatia Lowe led the win with a dozen points, while junior Kaitlin Ledford, freshman Grace Phillips and sophomore Erica Swick added eight points apiece.  

Game Summary

Friday, Nov. 27

at Baxter

Girls Game

Bradley Central1111 7 7 — 36

Upperman 14101416 — 54

BEARETTES (36) — Anna Muhonen 11, Kelsey Carman 7, Ashlan Crittenden 7, Hannah Jones 6, Jamia Williams 5, Carpenter, Falcon, Weber, Estrada.

LADY BEES (54) — Brooklyn Crouch 17, Abigail Johnson 12, Reagan Hurst 11, Torie Brooks 10, Levy 2, Cobb 2, McClain, Conradi.

3-POINTERS: BC 2 (Carman, Williams); U 2 (Brooks, Crouch).

FREE THROWS: BC 10-of-13 ; U 16-of-18 .

RECORDS: Bradley Central 2-1; Upperman 4-0.

Edited by blitzinbuc

1 hour ago, Bearettesalltheway said:

Wont go undefeated,  now but mightve beat a great upperman team had sloan carpenter played. Bradley wont lose another game the rest of this season. At least not a district or region game. They learned what a difference missing your best player is. Shes only a sophomore too

:roll:    I knew that was coming.   :wacko: :popcorneater:  I didn't watch the game yet but plan on watching on UC Reporter when I have time.   But I do know that Carpenter is listed in the box score above so she did play but not sure how long.