Is it just me, or is football down

1OldPatriot

23 minutes ago, 1OldPatriot said:

Across all divisions? In East TN, DB is ok in 6A, with Maryville and McMinn Co looking good. But even Maryville doesn’t look as impressive as in the past. In 5A, Powell and Knox West look good, but that is about it. In 4A, Anderson Co and Elizabethton and no one else. Alcoa and nobody in 3A. 

I don’t know if you are speaking about just East TN or the entire state. I know over here in West TN Trenton Peabody is top dog in 2A. In 3A Milan and Covington are both very good and Pearl Cohn in Nashville is a fine team. 4A Hardin Co is ranked #2 in the state and undefeated with some D1 talent on the team. 5A Henry Co is a legit threat to reach Cookeville. There are still some good teams out there. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, 1OldPatriot said:

Across all divisions? In East TN, DB is ok in 6A, with Maryville and McMinn Co looking good. But even Maryville doesn’t look as impressive as in the past. In 5A, Powell and Knox West look good, but that is about it. In 4A, Anderson Co and Elizabethton and no one else. Alcoa and nobody in 3A. 

With the restrictions in place for this season it was gonna happen, you can only accomplish so much in terms of development with no spring football, no fall scrimmages, and a reduced amount of games for alot of teams.

Statewide, the potential for a better quality of football isn't gonna be there until they reduce the amount of classifications. In alot of these classifications, you know who is gonna be in the final 4 before the season starts. It's a credit to alot of these programs, but that's something you never saw in a 3 or 4 class system

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MidTennFootball said:

With the restrictions in place for this season it was gonna happen, you can only accomplish so much in terms of development with no spring football, no fall scrimmages, and a reduced amount of games for alot of teams.

Statewide, the potential for a better quality of football isn't gonna be there until they reduce the amount of classifications. In alot of these classifications, you know who is gonna be in the final 4 before the season starts. It's a credit to alot of these programs, but that's something you never saw in a 3 or 4 class system

Lot of truth in this. 

46 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I don’t know if you are speaking about just East TN or the entire state. I know over here in West TN Trenton Peabody is top dog in 2A. In 3A Milan and Covington are both very good and Pearl Cohn in Nashville is a fine team. 4A Hardin Co is ranked #2 in the state and undefeated with some D1 talent on the team. 5A Henry Co is a legit threat to reach Cookeville. There are still some good teams out there. 

Agreed friend.  For 1 we are just happy to be playing ball at all.   2nd football is looking pretty dang good to me from the west all things considered. I'll agree some teams have been less fortunate some having to forfeit and whatnot.  By the way how bout them dawgs.. I hope we get to scrimmage like usual next spring always a lot of fun and an excuse to hit up Lee's for dinner.:hungry:

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Beech and Summit too. And Shelbyville’s rushing attack may be one of the best in the state...they’ll be dangerous in the playoffs!

I disagree.  But I think I understand the idea.  There are a lot of factors that can effect this perception though.

1. Limited practice will automatically make things sloppier. No way of avoiding that in times like this.

2. Multiple classes definitely might affect it, but not too much.

3. Mainly, I think we always remember the past as being better than the present.  It works in politics.  Thus the Slogan "Make America Great Again".  It's a actually just a psychological phenomena.  There's tons of literature about it. 

I'd say the truth is different than that.  Kids are generally bigger faster, stronger and more well coached than ever before.  Coaching is better.  Coaches are more well-educated.  

So yeah.  I disagree.

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Watertown and Trousdale County will both be tough to beat in the 2A playoffs. South Pittsburg in 1A! Oakland may be the hands down favorite in 6A! It’s the same bunch of good programs across the state for the most part. The only difference is it took a little longer to get everybody rolling like normal because of no spring practice and all the summer chaos. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, RollRed said:

Agreed friend.  For 1 we are just happy to be playing ball at all.   2nd football is looking pretty dang good to me from the west all things considered. I'll agree some teams have been less fortunate some having to forfeit and whatnot.  By the way how bout them dawgs.. I hope we get to scrimmage like usual next spring always a lot of fun and an excuse to hit up Lee's for dinner.:hungry:

Milan has some sanctions from the Pettigrew era that would have been applied this past spring. Since that didn’t happen it may carry over to this next spring. But if it happens I’m down for some Lees. It can be my treat.