POWELL @ WEST IS FINALLY HERE! RIVALRY THURSDAY GAME!

keepitmoving

On 10/5/2020 at 3:51 PM, keepitmoving said:

Well you know what they say.....You gotta play the game.  This is my opinion, I feel the score will be somewhere around 38-22 like I said.  Instead of making light of my opinion why don't you make your prediction and lets hear your insight.   

Are you ready to hear my insights?  My insights are your score seems to be off and your injury reports may have been off as well.  I guess our strength of schedule meets your approval now or do you have a list of reasons to explain why you you were wrong on almost everything you said?  

That said - Powell is the real deal.  Tough game - and they fought until the end.  Really don’t want to see them again.  Really don’t want to see them the next 2 years.  

West defense held Powell to neg rushing yards, 3 picks and 7 sacks.  They bent - but didn’t break.  Credit to West QB Baker Dance who managed the game well and showed his ability to rush when needed.  He must have averaged over 10,yards a carry on the 5 or 6 times he decided to run.  Would have had 2 passing TDS as well in it weren’t for a few drops.

First off im glad to be eating crow and greatful West won...Oridgecat, im not in Knoxville as much as I used to be and am not close with anyone on the staff like I was with the Cummings regime, but thanks for letting me know about the inaccuracies of who was playing and who wasn't. 

As for the game itself...Powell is the real deal and could have won had the breaks gone their way, but credit West for making the plays when they needed too that ultimately led them to winning the game. The three headed monster running  attack of West is going to be difficult to stop and their defense is only going to get better from this game. Powell is going to get better from this game as well. I agree with Meritt I dont want any part of Powell again, but its probably inevitable. 

Go Rebels! Looking forward to seeing if West will finish the regular season undefeated for the first time in school history.

Go West!

Big win by West, I didn't think the score was wrong just the teams winning and losing. To me 3 things

1. West was more physical, Powell couldn't handle a street fight game. 

2. Youth of Powell. It's one thing when you're a better athlete against inferior competition. You can overcome it most times. 

3. Great game to show Potts you've got a ways to go. He'll learn from this game on when to make plays happen and when to not force it and play another down. Kid can play and see the field better than most but the play at the goal line play was a humbling moment. He'll bounce back but a growing opportunity for him. 

Said it last year too, everyone will give Powell more juice because of the hype machine and known public transfers. 

9 hours ago, MeritIII said:

Are you ready to hear my insights?  My insights are your score seems to be off and your injury reports may have been off as well.  I guess our strength of schedule meets your approval now or do you have a list of reasons to explain why you you were wrong on almost everything you said?  

That said - Powell is the real deal.  Tough game - and they fought until the end.  Really don’t want to see them again.  Really don’t want to see them the next 2 years.  

West defense held Powell to neg rushing yards, 3 picks and 7 sacks.  They bent - but didn’t break.  Credit to West QB Baker Dance who managed the game well and showed his ability to rush when needed.  He must have averaged over 10,yards a carry on the 5 or 6 times he decided to run.  Would have had 2 passing TDS as well in it weren’t for a few drops.

1 hour ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Big win by West, I didn't think the score was wrong just the teams winning and losing. To me 3 things

1. West was more physical, Powell couldn't handle a street fight game. 

2. Youth of Powell. It's one thing when you're a better athlete against inferior competition. You can overcome it most times. 

3. Great game to show Potts you've got a ways to go. He'll learn from this game on when to make plays happen and when to not force it and play another down. Kid can play and see the field better than most but the play at the goal line play was a humbling moment. He'll bounce back but a growing opportunity for him. 

Said it last year too, everyone will give Powell more juice because of the hype machine and known public transfers. 

Powell QB HAS a ways to go.....lol  Name me a better QB in 5a.......I'll wait.....If he didn't throw for 369 yards passing 3 TD, and ran one in for four total TD Powell loses by 50.  He had to try and make plays while running for his life out there.  Does he have some things to work on sure.  Is he perfect NO.  But he picked the "dominate" west defense apart.  For Powell to even be in the game last night with all the mistakes they made, shows they can beat West.  Hopefully they play again in the Playoffs.  Powell will bounce back.  I have said in the past I think West or Powell will win state.  I don't think there is any other teams to compete with them.  West is for real!

Side note....how many teams in HS football go 5 wide with a Sophomore QB....LOL 

14 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Powell QB HAS a ways to go.....lol  Name me a better QB in 5a.......I'll wait.....If he didn't throw for 369 yards passing 3 TD, and ran one in for four total TD Powell loses by 50.  He had to try and make plays while running for his life out there.  Does he have some things to work on sure.  Is he perfect NO.  But he picked the "dominate" west defense apart.  For Powell to even be in the game last night with all the mistakes they made, shows they can beat West.  Hopefully they play again in the Playoffs.  Powell will bounce back.  I have said in the past I think West or Powell will win state.  I don't think there is any other teams to compete with them.  West is for real!

And the refs didn’t help Powell at all. Come on Pops! Take off your Orange and Black shades! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

And the refs didn’t help Powell at all. Come on Pops! Take off your Orange and Black shades! 

Can't control the terrible officiating in games.  The kids can only control there play.  But it is alarming how bad the TSSAA refs have been this year.  Every game I have watched so far in TN this year, the officiating has been TERRIBLE.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Can't control the terrible officiating in games.  The kids can only control there play.  But it is alarming how bad the TSSAA refs have been this year.  Every game I have watched so far in TN this year, the officiating has been TERRIBLE.  

And let’s not act like West didn’t make mistakes either. My goodness you are reaching here. At what point do you say, hey, we got beat by the better team tonight? Look forward to Round 2 of this heavyweight bout. Long season still ahead.

I thought you guys were the best team in 5A before this game. Still think you can be. 

Edited by KnoxVil
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

You’re right on a lot of points.  Powell lives and dies on his and the receivers play. No secret. While he had the 4 total tds that kept them in the game, he also had the 3 picks that potentially cost them. He’s a heck of a qb and will continue to improve, but ya gotta remember without the rest of his offensive unit, receivers especially, he doesn’t make near the plays he does. Also have a lot of mental errors to clean up on BOTH sides of the ball. If they do that, Powell can compete and maybe beat West if they play again. West is still the most complete team in our area imo. On to the next!

Edited by KnoxPhoto
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Believe you missed the point. I had  praise for the kid, but this is not his ceiling and as QB1 you're constantly learning on the little things. Is the best in 5A, could be, he is in the conversation...but he's a transfer so how would he do at Farragut? Same, not likely. He has tremendous field vision and steps up in the pocket better than most.... but this was the learning opportunity and part you missed. 

"Kid can play and see the field better than most but the play at the goal line play was a humbling moment."   Forced a play and ended up being the nail in the coffin. I love watching him play.

• Like 1

Three phases to the game:

Offense: really these offenses are pretty even.  West clearly the better running team. Powell perhaps the better passing team.

Defense:  Powell is solid, but West is dominant.  I don't know the stats, but the sacks, pressures, and Int's all go hand in hand. In spite of a clear size disadvantage west ate powell's lunch on defense.

Special teams:  Probably goes to west.  Even with two notable errors on special teams, the difference in field position time after time put Powell with so much more work to do.  that punt toward the end of the game led directly to the pick-six.

Great game.  Glad we saw it.  Be interesting to see if we can see it again.

• Like 1