California Coach possibly moving to TN.

CaliCoach

Good morning everyone, I am a Head Coach and former College Wrestler from the Central Valley area in California (Bakersfield Ca.) Currently looking to move to Tennessee with in the next year or so. My goal here is to mainly start a conversation about local Tennessee wrestling in order to get a better gage of the areas and hot spots of local wrestling. I am CTE Graphic Art and Animation teacher, with 10 years under my belts as a head Coach, my first choice would be the Chattanooga area but any info about jobs and programs would be incredibly helpful.  Look forward to talking wrestling with you guys.  

text: 6613302308 or email: hvyelement@gmail.com

Edited by CaliCoach

1 hour ago, CaliCoach said:

Good morning everyone, I am a Head Coach and former College Wrestler from the Central Valley area in California (Bakersfield Ca.) Currently looking to move to Tennessee with in the next year or so. My goal here is to mainly start a conversation about local Tennessee wrestling in order to get a better gage of the areas and hot spots of local wrestling. I am CTE Graphic Art and Animation teacher, with 10 years under my belts as a head Coach, my first choice would be the Chattanooga area but any info about jobs and programs would be incredibly helpful.  Look forward to talking wrestling with you guys.  

As far as Job openings I do not know, but here is the basic rundown of TN wrestling.

Chattanooga is the hotbed of TN wrestling. In AAA a Chattanooga team has been in the state traditional finals for something like the last 25 years. Being in close proximity to UTC and it being the only division 1 wrestling program in the south benefits them greatly.  The best schools in that area are Cleveland and Bradley Central (AAA) and Baylor and McCallie (Div2)

MidTN is on the way up. There are schools that are regularly in the mix for titles but just unable to overcome the hump that is Chattanooga. The best schools in that area are Wilson Central, Beech, Blackman and Oakland (AAA but just to the East of Nashville), Centennial, Independence and Summit (AAA MidTN) and Clarksville and Rossview (AAA but just to the northwest). Father Ryan and Montgomery Bell Academy (Div2) are run by the Simpson family and are the two top private schools in MidTN.

East Tn, historically, has a couple teams that can challenge the top teams and are in the mix but don't generally challenge for the state titles. The top teams here are Science Hill, Dobyns Bennett and Knoxville Halls (AAA). No private schools to speak of here. Honorable mention goes to Pigeon Forge. Traditionally the "small school" (A-AA) powerhouse. Every year it seems there is an argument for them to do well in the "large school" (AAA) tournament, although we'll never actually find out.

West TN, there are just a few teams that make noise most years. Arlington being the top AAA team. Christian Brothers is by far the best team out in the Memphis area. They travel well each year and are always in the mix for a state championship.

Hamm does the state wide rankings. He takes a lot of crap each year but he's ok I guess. Here is a link to his website where he publishes them.

http://www.pin-tn.com/

Edited by Ummmno
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

As far as Job openings I do not know, but here is the basic rundown of TN wrestling.

Chattanooga is the hotbed of TN wrestling. In AAA a Chattanooga team has been in the state traditional finals for something like the last 25 years. Being in close proximity to UTC and it being the only division 1 wrestling program in the south benefits them greatly.  The best schools in that area are Cleveland and Bradley Central (AAA) and Baylor and McCallie (Div2)

MidTN is on the way up. There are schools that are regularly in the mix for titles but just unable to overcome the hump that is Chattanooga. The best schools in that area are Wilson Central, Beech, Blackman and Oakland (AAA but just to the East of Nashville), Centennial, Independence and Summit (AAA MidTN) and Clarksville and Rossview (AAA but just to the northwest). Father Ryan and Montgomery Bell Academy (Div2) are run by the Simpson family and are the two top private schools in MidTN.

East Tn, historically, has a couple teams that can challenge the top teams and are in the mix but don't generally challenge for the state titles. The top teams here are Science Hill, Dobyns Bennett and Knoxville Halls (AAA). No private schools to speak of here. Honorable mention goes to Pigeon Forge. Traditionally the "small school" (A-AA) powerhouse. Every year it seems there is an argument for them to do well in the "large school" (AAA) tournament, although we'll never actually find out.

West TN, there are just a few teams that make noise most years. Arlington being the top AAA team. Christian Brothers is by far the best team out in the Memphis area. They travel well each year and are always in the mix for a state championship.

Hamm does the state wide rankings. He takes a lot of crap each year but he's ok I guess. Here is a link to his website where he publishes them.

http://www.pin-tn.com/

Thank man, much appreciated.

11 hours ago, CaliCoach said:

text: 6613302308 or email: hvyelement@gmail.com

Lincoln Memorial University is looking for a head men’s and women’s wrestling coach. 

20 hours ago, Ummmno said:

D-B had several individual state champs last year... or was you talking about the team title?

10 hours ago, GoTNwrestling said:

Lincoln Memorial University is looking for a head men’s and women’s wrestling coach. 

Not sure if you're a mountains person CaliCoach, but LMU is a stunningly beautiful campus.  As you're rolling up on that area on US 25E, the views of that campus are simply stunning.  Plus Harrogate (where LMU is located) has a fantastic restaurant called the Gondolier.  Food there is top notch.  And you're within about five minutes of Cumberland Gap National Park as well as Middlesboro, Kentucky and Rose Hill, Virginia.

SWVA,

I think he was talking team championship. 

Soddy-Daisy could be a top 3 team in the state and not even win their regional duals championship because of Cleveland or Bradley. 

I was excited to see LMU start that program up, it really is a great school and a beautiful area. 

Gondaliers is a chain restaurant, they are an Italian Bob Evans.

I'll get some haters for this but stay away from Chattanooga.  They have four major teams.  Two public and two private.  Any other team in the area has to compete with them for athletes and resources and those four programs already vacuum everything up.  This is assuming you want to end up being a head coach.  As someone pointed out, Soddy Daisy used to have an excellent team but even so, only two teams from each region end up going to state.  

If you are from Bakersfield, you (and your wife if you are married) will enjoy the Nashville area much better.  There are frequent opportunities in middle Tennessee for head wrestling coaches.

I love the idea of Lincoln Memorial, but there is NOTHING up there but trees and wild animals...and meth.  If you want to get as far away from civilization as possible and still have a job, LMU is an option for you.