Fixing the Playoffs

Beansntators

5 minutes ago, Beansntators said:

If you could fix the playoffs, what you do do differently? How would you set each bracket up? Top 3 teams with a bye for first seed in each region?

I’m curious to know everybody’s view on this topic

5 Classes. Z-Plan. Only league champions get automatic berths. Divide the bracket into east and west and seed them 1-16

• Upvote 2

Z-Plan as well, I think it works much better than the current set up for the playoffs. Also, region champions do get to be automatic qualifiers (which doesn't carry any weight because chances are they will be automatic qualifiers anyway). 

But, this is my catch. Teams have the option of playing on Friday or Saturday nights. Why? If we struggle so much with attendance, and the TSSAA is coming out saying that they aren't making as much money in the playoffs as years past, then let teams have the option of playing on Saturday. What are the pro to having teams playing on Saturday? More fans (potentially) which means more money (potentially). It also increases the option of fans that are traveling 2+ hours for a playoff game because of work issues. The only con: a “shorter”’ week if you win and advance.

A change I am lobbying for in the playoffs (but also in regular season). I want to see the overtime move back to the 25 yard line, just like they do in college. I think it's better for the defense and gives them more freedom. It also tells the offense that you have to get 2 first downs before you can score. In addition, more emphasis to special teams. It'll create havoc, but in a good way. Oh by the way, high school playoff games are 2 and a half hours anyway, does staying there 15 more minutes kill you?

Edited by TryNotToSuck
  • Like 2

On 10/17/2020 at 8:36 PM, RLS26 said:

make the big dogs move up a class.  teams will be more even and bigger crowds but maybe not this year because of covid..  example alcoa at least 4 a  or  5a

4A and 5A some years are an easier road to the State Championship than 3A.  Pearl-Cohn beat MBA and Independence last year.  Both of those teams win 4A and 5A last year.

On 10/14/2020 at 3:01 PM, Beansntators said:

If you could fix the playoffs, what you do do differently? How would you set each bracket up? Top 3 teams with a bye for first seed in each region?

Z plan. Better playoff fields and less teams with losing records. Less automatic bids. Make the teams earn the bids. This way it helps to eliminate teams from playing weak schedules to get big records

On 10/14/2020 at 4:01 PM, Beansntators said:

They did the top 3 thing in 1993. Changed it to top 4 the next year. 

1 hour ago, Indian said:

The bye helped in minor injury recovery but missing out a game while the opponent played made for some sloppy play too, at least for a quarter or two. If the opponents were relatively even it might hurt more than help. 

I agree. We were a one seed that year, plus the three upset the two in our bracket, giving us an easy win in round two. 

Five Classifications:

Class A:  only small schools with no private schools, magnet schools, charter schools

Class AA:  small private schools that do not offer financial aid, work study, etc... and public schools

Class AAA:  small private schools that do not offer aid  and public schools

Class AAAA:  public schools and private schools that offer financial aid

Class AAAAA:  large public schools and large private schools that offer aid

Each division would have 16 regions and the region champion and runner-up would qualify for the playoffs.  Schools that win 6 games and do not qualify for the playoffs would be eligible to attend a bowl game.