Fixing the Playoffs

Beansntators

1 hour ago, MSURacer said:

Nope. Simple is good. Leave it as is. And your point about "better playoff fields" is laughable. It was watered down under the z-plan and it is watered down now. 

I don't recall any zero win teams making the playoffs with the z plan in place. I have recalled several zero and one win teams making the playoffs under the take the top four theory that you favor. I laugh at those who favor the top four because they are just afraid of the unknown

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MSURacer said:

4 would have made sense when they first expanded back in the 90's. It has definitely outgrown that now. 

Texas has a population of 29.2 million  with 9 divisions for football (excluding 6 man football) and Tennessee has a population of 6.95 million and 9 divisions.  Let’s be honest and say that the TSSAA has watered down high school athletics by having so many divisions.  

Edited by cbg

Using a very rough Z-plan format, 6 classes, region winners are only automatic qualifiers. Regular season rematches are possible in first round. Definitely would have to have some kinks worked out but this would get most if not all worthy teams in there. Seed the east and west sides 1-16. 

West Side 

1-Summit vs 16-Overton 

8-Whitehaven vs 9-Houston 

--

4-Hendersonville vs 13-Stewarts Creek

5-Brentwood vs 12-Centennial 

--

3-Collierville vs 14-Bartlett 

6-Independence vs 11-Rockvale 

--

2-Ravenwood vs 15-Clarksville 

7-Germantown vs 10-Cane Ridge

East Bracket 

1-Oakland vs 16-Jefferson County 

8-Cleveland vs 9-Lebanon 

--

4-Bradley Central vs 13-Blackman 

5-Beech vs 12-Bearden 

--

3-Riverdale vs 14-Siegel 

6-Science Hill vs 11-Smyrna 

--

2-Maryville vs 15-Coffee County 

7-Dobyns Bennett vs 10-West Ridge 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I don't recall any zero win teams making the playoffs with the z plan in place. I have recalled several zero and one win teams making the playoffs under the take the top four theory that you favor. I laugh at those who favor the top four because they are just afraid of the unknown

Like 6 teams in the history of TNHSFB have made the playoffs with 0 or 1 win. But sure Reitz, THAT’S the problem. 

This isn’t complicated, nor does it need to be further complicated by the ridiculous z-plan. It’s simple. We have too many classifications (regions are too spread out and it puts ridiculous strain on the playoff field).  

Again, 5 public, 2 private, and 99% of your problem is solved. Heck, more than 99. I’m not even sure it’s even a 1% problem now. 

Edited by MSURacer

2 hours ago, MSURacer said:

Like 6 teams in the history of TNHSFB have made the playoffs with 0 or 1 win. But sure Reitz, THAT’S the problem. 

This isn’t complicated, nor does it need to be further complicated by the ridiculous z-plan. It’s simple. We have too many classifications (regions are too spread out and it puts ridiculous strain on the playoff field).  

Again, 5 public, 2 private, and 99% of your problem is solved. Heck, more than 99. I’m not even sure it’s even a 1% problem now. 

I think with modifications, the Z-Plan would be solid. I like the 5 class system, but it gets a little boring seeing the same teams play every year in the same round.

Would love to see only the top 2 teams in the region get automatic berths into the playoffs, use some kind of system for selecting at-large teams that places a top priority on strength of schedule, maybe it'll finally force some programs to actually play someone instead of padding their W-L Record. 

Another thing I would love to see: seed the teams from 1-32. Too often in the playoffs we see these great teams face each other in the quarters when it's a game that's worthy of a championship

Edited by MidTennFootball

4 hours ago, MSURacer said:

Are you so blind that You Don't see the problems that will be created with the system you propose? I don't have time to explain it to you

Top 3 in each region,  #1 in each gets bye to round of 32. #2 hosts #3 1st round then winners play at #1s based on random draw. Example: maryville winds region 2,  gets automatic bye til November 12th but them and the other 7 number 1s do a random draw (like in basketball state tournament where the coaches actually draw bingo balls to determine opponent) to see which winner of  #2or#3 they play. Example: maryvillle draws region 6 so they will host the winner of region 6 #2 #3 winner gives advantage of winning regions. In quarters,  higher seeds host. If its 2 teams of same seed 2 #2s for example,  tssaa draws for home fields. Do away with stupid coin flips,  less random. If its 2 teams from same region,  then whoever won the head to head matchup hosts, (could be #3 hosting #1 or 2 in same region if they happen to beat them in regular season) Follow same rules in semis. Championship gets played at vanderbilt or nissam stadium if ots east vs west,  Memphis if its central vs east,  or neyland if its central vs west,  make every team have to travel for fairness. Having oakland play at mtsu every year gives them basically home field. If its two yeams from same state locations say region 1 vs region 2 then play it at neyland. Nobody from west Tennessee will care if 2 east Tennessee teams play championship. Or say its blackman vs oakland,  play it at vandy,  only fans thatlk go is middle tn people. 

On 10/25/2021 at 2:45 PM, Indian said:

Using a very rough Z-plan format, 6 classes, region winners are only automatic qualifiers. Regular season rematches are possible in first round. Definitely would have to have some kinks worked out but this would get most if not all worthy teams in there. Seed the east and west sides 1-16. 

West Side 

1-Summit vs 16-Overton 

8-Whitehaven vs 9-Houston 

--

4-Hendersonville vs 13-Stewarts Creek

5-Brentwood vs 12-Centennial 

--

3-Collierville vs 14-Bartlett 

6-Independence vs 11-Rockvale 

--

2-Ravenwood vs 15-Clarksville 

7-Germantown vs 10-Cane Ridge

East Bracket 

1-Oakland vs 16-Jefferson County 

8-Cleveland vs 9-Lebanon 

--

4-Bradley Central vs 13-Blackman 

5-Beech vs 12-Bearden 

--

3-Riverdale vs 14-Siegel 

6-Science Hill vs 11-Smyrna 

--

2-Maryville vs 15-Coffee County 

7-Dobyns Bennett vs 10-West Ridge 

Not bad idea. That would be my 2nd choice but how are seeds determined state ranking?

On 10/25/2021 at 2:45 PM, Indian said:

4 hours ago, Bearettesalltheway said:

Top 3 in each region,  #1 in each gets bye to round of 32. #2 hosts #3 1st round then winners play at #1s based on random draw. Example: maryville winds region 2,  gets automatic bye til November 12th but them and the other 7 number 1s do a random draw (like in basketball state tournament where the coaches actually draw bingo balls to determine opponent) to see which winner of  #2or#3 they play. Example: maryvillle draws region 6 so they will host the winner of region 6 #2 #3 winner gives advantage of winning regions. In quarters,  higher seeds host. If its 2 teams of same seed 2 #2s for example,  tssaa draws for home fields. Do away with stupid coin flips,  less random. If its 2 teams from same region,  then whoever won the head to head matchup hosts, (could be #3 hosting #1 or 2 in same region if they happen to beat them in regular season) Follow same rules in semis. Championship gets played at vanderbilt or nissam stadium if ots east vs west,  Memphis if its central vs east,  or neyland if its central vs west,  make every team have to travel for fairness. Having oakland play at mtsu every year gives them basically home field. If its two yeams from same state locations say region 1 vs region 2 then play it at neyland. Nobody from west Tennessee will care if 2 east Tennessee teams play championship. Or say its blackman vs oakland,  play it at vandy,  only fans thatlk go is middle tn people. 

Too many ifs with this. It's not an easy thing to host a state title game even when it's planned ahead, much less on short notice. I don't mind the rotating sites, but middle tn works well because nobody has to travel from one end of the state to the other