Fixing the Playoffs

Beansntators

On 12/4/2020 at 7:53 PM, Tidefan1 said:

Three private school divisions 

Three traditional public divisions 

Three open enrollment public divisions 

Most people are misinformed about "open enrollment" schools... ALL schools are open enrollment unless their own School Board passes a resolution to restrict, and even then 95% of those are in some form "open". The term "closed zone" implies that under no circumstances any student residing outside a predetermined boundary (set by the Board) be eligible to enroll. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 11:59 PM, tradertwo said:

Most people are misinformed about "open enrollment" schools... ALL schools are open enrollment unless their own School Board passes a resolution to restrict, and even then 95% of those are in some form "open". The term "closed zone" implies that under no circumstances any student residing outside a predetermined boundary (set by the Board) be eligible to enroll. 

This is generally true.  However, many run bus routes and do have zones set up by the school board.  Marion County has been set up that way for at least 60 years. TSSAA goes be these zones in their by-laws.  I think it was more common at one time than it is now, but many still do it that way.  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 1:57 PM, oldraiderfan said:

And South Pittsburg 2 or3 A.

Incorrect.  They have a bus route that has been in place for at least 60 years and and enrollment of 283 at present.  I was at 235 to 250 over the past 25 or more years.  Marion County High (Jasper) and Whitwell also have bus routes that were setup long ago as well. Whitwell typically has ~100 more students than SP and Jasper has played , AA, 2a ball for years and were in 3a for a while.  Lastly, a kid from one of the other high schools can't just switch schools without following procedures by the Marion County School Board and the school.  If they do that and want to play, the must do that before they have participated such as transferring for the freshman year.  Otherwise, they have to sit out for a year as per TSSAA rules due to the bus routes that have been established by the school board for 60+ years.  Marion County High (Jasper) isn't a countywide school as its name implies. 

Edited by rlh
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 9:45 AM, chrisburr said:

or you could do 4 classes like in other sports and expand it to 64 or leave it 32 and have 16 bowl games

the more postseason the better

This is similar to what I have been saying for years.  They never should have gone with more than 4 classes, especially with 99% the privates separated out.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, rlh said:

This is generally true.  However, many run bus routes and do have zones set up by the school board.  Marion County has been set up that way for at least 60 years. TSSAA goes be these zones in their by-laws.  I think it was more common at one time than it is now, but many still do it that way.  

That's half the equation rlh... if there's any provision for a student to attend without residing within the preset boundary, you're open zoned.

8 hours ago, rlh said:

Incorrect according to TSSAA.

According to TSSAA, the school "zone" is referred to as territory. TSSAA proclaims school territory (geographic boundary and bus routes) is set by the local Board of Education. If any student enrolls at the school who resides outside the geographic boundary/bus route set by the BOE, the school is open zone.

TSSAA isn't in the least concerned with the zoning of any particular school, just that members of that schools athletic programs follow TSSAA's guidelines for eligibility. Yes, the basis of some of the rules regarding transfers/athletic eligibility depends upon school territory, but not territory set by TSSAA.

just clearing up.

EDIT

Just a caveat... in some regions where boundaries aren't set by schools, yet the proximity of them requires, TSSAA has a "20 mile radius" clause to fall back on. This is to ensure that transfers are not unrestricted involving changes of address, yet remaining within the radius of the previous school.

Edited by tradertwo

11 hours ago, tradertwo said:

According to TSSAA, the school "zone" is referred to as territory. TSSAA proclaims school territory (geographic boundary and bus routes) is set by the local Board of Education. If any student enrolls at the school who resides outside the geographic boundary/bus route set by the BOE, the school is open zone.

TSSAA isn't in the least concerned with the zoning of any particular school, just that members of that schools athletic programs follow TSSAA's guidelines for eligibility. Yes, the basis of some of the rules regarding transfers/athletic eligibility depends upon school territory, but not territory set by TSSAA.

just clearing up.

EDIT

Just a caveat... in some regions where boundaries aren't set by schools, yet the proximity of them requires, TSSAA has a "20 mile radius" clause to fall back on. This is to ensure that transfers are not unrestricted involving changes of address, yet remaining within the radius of the previous school.

I never said territories, zones and routes were set by TSSAA.  I flat out said that the Marion County School board did that at least 60 years ago.  I student can't automatically go to one of the other schools.  It takes board approval and school approval.  Whitwell and Jasper have grades 9 - 12 in the building and South Pittsburg has 7 - 12.  As O&B pointed out, that also can play a roll.  Plus, ones an 8th or 9th grader as much as practices with a school, they must sit out a year regardless.

53 minutes ago, rlh said:

I never said territories, zones and routes were set by TSSAA.  I flat out said that the Marion County School board did that at least 60 years ago.  I student can't automatically go to one of the other schools.  It takes board approval and school approval.  Whitwell and Jasper have grades 9 - 12 in the building and South Pittsburg has 7 - 12.  As O&B pointed out, that also can play a roll.  Plus, ones an 8th or 9th grader as much as practices with a school, they must sit out a year regardless.

Really not trying to argue rlh... my point the entire time has been that BOE has total control of school "zones", and that very few are considered "closed zone" (no one allowed from outside the preset boundary).

11 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Really not trying to argue rlh... my point the entire time has been that BOE has total control of school "zones", and that very few are considered "closed zone" (no one allowed from outside the preset boundary).

TSSAA has no authority to set school zones and never will.  Sports is an extracurricular activity.  The Dept of Education has given them the authority to regulate sports 7 - 12.  By the definition you are suggesting, there will be only schools in counties with 1 school in them. 

15 minutes ago, rlh said:

TSSAA has no authority to set school zones and never will.  Sports is an extracurricular activity.  The Dept of Education has given them the authority to regulate sports 7 - 12.  By the definition you are suggesting, there will be only schools in counties with 1 school in them. 

I give up. You were batting 1000 until the last line, then went off the rails... I'm suggesting that unless the BOE self regulates enrollment, that anyone meeting state requirements is eligible. We currently enroll students from at least four counties and any/all of them would be eligible to compete in TSSAA sanctioned events.