Fixing the Playoffs

Beansntators

38 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

I give up. You were batting 1000 until the last line, then went off the rails... I'm suggesting that unless the BOE self regulates enrollment, that anyone meeting state requirements is eligible. We currently enroll students from at least four counties and any/all of them would be eligible to compete in TSSAA sanctioned events.

You just added another wrinkle when you are talking about crossing county lines. However, they would still have to sit out if they as much as practiced with another school.  Don't get mad about discussion and debates.

1 hour ago, rlh said:

You just added another wrinkle when you are talking about crossing county lines. However, they would still have to sit out if they as much as practiced with another school.  Don't get mad about discussion and debates.

Not at all mad, and not debating athletic record... just trying to clarify the open vs. closed running argument that is/has been very misunderstood. One simple statement, then I'm out... all schools are open zone unless closed by BOE, and even though restricted, if ANY provision for the allowance of an "out of zone" student (tuition, ect,,,) exists, you are considered open zone.

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

Not at all mad, and not debating athletic record... just trying to clarify the open vs. closed running argument that is/has been very misunderstood. One simple statement, then I'm out... all schools are open zone unless closed by BOE, and even though restricted, if ANY provision for the allowance of an "out of zone" student (tuition, ect,,,) exists, you are considered open zone.

The TSSAA doesn't consider that "open zone."  Signal Mountain lost that argument, hard.  They way Fayetteville City High is set up, they should adopt the Alcoa City Schools model. 

Edited by rlh

On 10/14/2020 at 7:35 PM, howdoitknow said:

4 Classes in Division I; 2 Classes in Division II

2 Championship Games on Thursday

2 Championship Games on Friday

2 Championship Games on Saturday

Love the 4 & 2 concept on classes but have 3 games each on Friday and Saturday.  And as long as privates don't have to play the week before the championship games, they always play on Friday, game 1 & 2.

• 3 weeks later...

in classes 1A-6A i would leave it at 32 teams, but I would do 8 Automatic Qualifiers (The 8 Region Champs) and 24 Wild Cards (24 best Records), I would do 4 quadrants of teams seeded 1-8, Region champions get first seeding priority, this is to avoid a repeat of what happened this season and to eliminate the everyone gets in thing

DII A and AA 16 Team Playoffs with 2 8 Team Quadrants seeded 1-8 with Region Champs seeding priority

DII AAA All 12 teams qualify and leave as is

Teams with .500 or better records that did not make playoffs can play a bowl game or 2

But thats what needs to happen and should happen and I think will happen

Football definitely needs to be modified with Tweaks thats my solution....

6A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

5A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

4A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

3A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

2A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

1A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

DIIA: 16 Teams (3 Automatic Bids, 15 Wild Cards) 2 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions having Seeding Priority

DIIAA: 16 Teams (3 Automatic Bids, 15 Wild Cards) 2 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions having Seeding Priority

DIIAAA: All 12 Teams Qualify

Not that only the Region Champions would be Guaranteed of a playoff spot and are the only ones who get in Automatically!

Up to 2 Bowl Games for .500 Teams that did not make playoff

• 7 months later...

I think the system we had prior to 2009 was as close to optimal as we could get in a state this size. 

Keep the top 4 vs. top 4 playoff alignment. Return to 5 public classifications and 2 private classifications. My school has greatly benefited from the 6-class system competitively, but the regions are an absolute mess. Way too spread out.  

Edited by MSURacer

On 10/15/2020 at 4:24 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

Z-Plan as well, I think it works much better than the current set up for the playoffs. Also, region champions do get to be automatic qualifiers (which doesn't carry any weight because chances are they will be automatic qualifiers anyway). 

But, this is my catch. Teams have the option of playing on Friday or Saturday nights. Why? If we struggle so much with attendance, and the TSSAA is coming out saying that they aren't making as much money in the playoffs as years past, then let teams have the option of playing on Saturday. What are the pro to having teams playing on Saturday? More fans (potentially) which means more money (potentially). It also increases the option of fans that are traveling 2+ hours for a playoff game because of work issues. The only con: a “shorter”’ week if you win and advance.

A change I am lobbying for in the playoffs (but also in regular season). I want to see the overtime move back to the 25 yard line, just like they do in college. I think it's better for the defense and gives them more freedom. It also tells the offense that you have to get 2 first downs before you can score. In addition, more emphasis to special teams. It'll create havoc, but in a good way. Oh by the way, high school playoff games are 2 and a half hours anyway, does staying there 15 more minutes kill you?

The Saturday option is fine but more ppl would stay home if there was a big college game on their tv. 

• 4 weeks later...

Combine1A-3A plus Div 2 A  -Single A CHAMP  , Combine 4A-6A  Double A Champ , Div II AA AND AAA for Triple A CHAMP                                                                                                                                         

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we did what Georgia does. They could have team from South Georgia to play a team from Atlanta in the playoffs. Have a team from east play a team out of west in the first or second round. We could have the chance of having two teams from the same region play for a championship. It adds a different element to the game as far as not seeing one another yearly. Which I know that will never happen, but would be a nice change up. Maybe someone on here knows more of how they have their playoffs set up in Georgia