Week 10 - Oak Ridge vs Powell

CardinalGrey

18 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

The white hat guy had the Hulk Hogan look without the hulk. The block in the back looked like where the Oak Ridge player got knocked into the Powell guy, I'm sure the ref only caught the end of it out of the corner of his eye, seeing the Powell player falling with the OR guy right behind him. On the PI if the DB doesn't get his head around (looking for the ball) and has his hands in the receivers face, they are going to call it. I did think Powell was holding quite a bit, but only got called for it once. 

yes, the refs screw up PI all the time.  there is no rule against face guarding in high school.  The db doesn't have to even know where the ball is.  He can completely block the receivers vision with his hands as long as he doesn't touch the receiver.  The key is no contact.  The refs sometimes call PI if the db doesn't look for the ball.  But that is the wrong call. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, oridgecat said:

yes, the refs screw up PI all the time.  there is no rule against face guarding in high school.  The db doesn't have to even know where the ball is.  He can completely block the receivers vision with his hands as long as he doesn't touch the receiver.  The key is no contact.  The refs sometimes call PI if the db doesn't look for the ball.  But that is the wrong call. 

Im 100% with you.For some reason HS refs just cant get it through their head that the rule is different.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

The white hat guy had the Hulk Hogan look without the hulk. The block in the back looked like where the Oak Ridge player got knocked into the Powell guy, I'm sure the ref only caught the end of it out of the corner of his eye, seeing the Powell player falling with the OR guy right behind him. On the PI if the DB doesn't get his head around (looking for the ball) and has his hands in the receivers face, they are going to call it. I did think Powell was holding quite a bit, but only got called for it once. 

Lol he does have the Hulk Hogan look without the hulk.If that is what the ref seen on the block in back then why are they so determined on throwing a flag unless they are sure.And what I hate more than any call is when it has nothing to do with the outcome of the play.I knew Preston was gone the second he picked it off.And OR cat is right about the PI rule.Either most HS refs forget the rule or just cant help themselves because it is so diff from what they watch on TV  

Edited by STILLNUM1

On 10/28/2020 at 1:12 PM, oridgecat said:

100% agree. The rule plainly states there is no penalty for face guarding in high school but every time the DB doesn’t look back for the ball it’s almost automatic that they throw the flag. DPI is the most incorrectly called penalty in high school football. Whether they agree or disagree that’s the rule and that should be how it’s called. This should be brought up as a point of emphasis for officials next season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RCfan said:

100% agree. The rule plainly states there is no penalty for face guarding in high school but every time the DB doesn’t look back for the ball it’s almost automatic that they throw the flag. DPI is the most incorrectly called penalty in high school football. Whether they agree or disagree that’s the rule and that should be how it’s called. This should be brought up as a point of emphasis for officials next season.

High school football officiating started its decline in 2014. Sad really because it is a thankless job. But man is it atrocious right now.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...