6AAA 2020-21

LadyCavsFan

It’s hard not to bet on the team with the best player in the district.    Stone with Miller will be hard to beat.    I don’t see a team in the district that has anyone to matchup with her 1v1.  And Cookeville vs White County is going to be a war.  Jan 15 and Feb 2 put them on your calendar.    I love all of three of these matchups.  

2 hours ago, StateChampDad said:

She’s solid for sure.  Losing Capps will put more pressure on her though.  Defenses can collapse more.  Will be fun to watch.  Hopefully we can have a full season.  

Yes this is true but her game is alot like Walkers.  She can step out to 3 and take you off the dribble if you play her with a less athletic big.   Or shoot over/post up if you play her with small.  I expect their guards to get alot of open looks because of the help.  And that is what they did better than anyone last year.  They passed so well and got so many open looks.   How are thinks looking down in BC?  

We should be in pretty good shape.  Just got to get the younger players used to their new roles.  Big shoes to fill with Walker and Barnes leaving, also Mayo and Reuter.  Williams is back from her Knee injury, and Carpenter showed that she can handle pressure in the region so guard play should be ok. Will have Carman and Crittenton on the wings as well.  I expect to see Hannah Jones step in and be the Walker replacement.  Got Falcon and Estrada as bigs backing up Muhonen in the 4/5.  There are players there, we will just have to see how it all comes together.  Can’t wait to get started.  

Edited by StateChampDad

Here's the preseason media and coaches polls from this morning's meetings:

https://www.crossville-chronicle.com/sports/local_sports/district-6aaa-basketball-coaches-media-preseason-polls/article_4faf998a-17bf-11eb-8b5e-5b61b18103da.html?fbclid=IwAR20H7-TOE9Sxc9wy5yNeo_1tiRpHohLR2qw5hQ5jU2bRIq6jh8uwbn6pIY#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

14 hours ago, chrisburr said:

1 White County

2 Cookeville

3 Warren County

4 Stone Memorial

5 Rhea County

Any of these 5 can go in any order 1-5 and could win state

You must have it the bottle before that post.    Vodka is BAAAD!    We don't have 5 teams to compete at the state level.  Not this year.  

Stone has a great team.   Something bad would have to happen to keep them out of the top 2.   

Warren is building something but is going to need some time.   

1. Stone

2. Cookeville

3.  White

4.  Warren

5.  Rhea

Stone has the best player in the district and probably the region.   Miller is that good.  She showed that this summer in Birmingham against some of the best players in the nation.  Not only that they have some scrappy guards that can make shots and the fastest point guard in district.  They will be very good again this year.  

White county has the pieces to have a really good team but Cookeville has had their number the last couple years.  Winning 4 out of the last 5 with less talented teams.  They did hit an unbelievable contested bank shot from the volleyball line to beat Stone last year.   So they can play well at times.  But they just seem to fall apart late when district play starts.  Gracie Dodgen is the best shooter in the district and one of the top in the state.   I expect Stiles to have a big year but they will miss the twins on both sides of the floor.   Powers played an amazing district tournament last year so she should help as they look to replace Curtis.

Cookeville is a solid team.  They had the deepest bench in the district last year and that won't change this year.  They will play 8-10 players again this year.  The key to how good this team will be will revolve around how much the freshmen developed over the summer.   I think Gillies and Gallagher both will have big years.   If you ask me the only thing that has stopped them from being a top tier team in the state is their shooting percentage.  They take ALOT of 3's.  Around 18/game over the last 2 seasons.   They need to hit more of them.  Or take less and get better shots.  Best player is KK Graves who does it all.   This is her team and she needs a big year for us to take the next step.  

Warren just needs more time.

Rhea lost probably 75% of their offense and defense from last year.   That's going to be hard to replace.  I was VERY wrong about them last year but I just don't see how they can be in top 3 of this years district.   But last season was special and they should be very proud.  Amazing performances every single night.